Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Flawed or not, it looks pretty good to me! Plus, maybe some nice waxing will give it a more even ...
    outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

Flawed or not, it looks pretty good to me! Plus, maybe some nice waxing will give it a more even gloss and help to hide the subtle paint differences. I've seen (never tried it) something called the "black box" which is a waxing kit specifically for black cars...I saw it at an auto parts store around here.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Got it outside with an overcast. Huge difference but not as bad as I thought it would be. I thought the colors would be different, like the black wouldnt be as dark as the other. They are the same shade of black, its just the reflection thats different. It still looks bad and will have to be repainted.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    That car looks mean Sam. I like it without the chrome (I know you'd probably have to add it though since the rivits are already there for it)

So here's a quick pic of it in the sun at its worse, definitely see the color difference. Just not as deep of color. I'll post some pics of the body work when I get a chance. That didnt turn out perfect either.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn
    So here's a quick pic of it in the sun at its worse, definitely see the color difference. Just not as deep of color. I'll post some pics of the body work when I get a chance. That didnt turn out perfect either.
    I guess you'll have to blend the doors into the quarters?

I'm gonna repaint the whole thing with help from a friend that paints.

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

Although not perfect, it is awesome!
    I just stumbled upon your painting project, and wish I would have before hand.
    I took the easy route and had my car painted, I wish I would have done like you and did it myself.
    You not only will have a car that has paint and body done right, but you will also have tools and a valuable skill.
    I'm impressed.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm looking foward to repainting. It cost a little under $900 to start from scratch to with no tools, should cost about $3-400 to repaint it again. The question is should I do single stage or base/clear for the repaint?

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

The nose of the car without the hood looks even longer than with the hood if that's possible. Love it.

What model year of Impala are those wheels off of again? And what size are the tires? Is there any rubbing on the frame with full lock on the steering, or in back?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.