Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; wow great work! any pics of what you did to address the rust on the trunk lid?...
    outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

wow great work! any pics of what you did to address the rust on the trunk lid?

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Thank y'all. Im pretty excited to see what its gonna look like together. I havent got the trunk sealed up cause I have completely ran out of funds for now. Gonna get some por 15 or something for it.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

A car project that is over budget and past time frame, say it isn't so! Looks great, I have been watching and learning all the way. Thanks for the great thread.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Looks great CS!

Thanks. Tonight I should be posting a little write up about my little experience. It was pretty fun and I will probably be doing all my painting myself now but with single stage. I took a few pics along the way so I'll post up what ive learned.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn
    Thanks. Tonight I should be posting a little write up about my little experience. It was pretty fun and I will probably be doing all my painting myself now but with single stage. I took a few pics along the way so I'll post up what ive learned.
    Can you do a write up on how you fix the trunk? I would be interested to see because I still have to seal/ paint the underside of mine (has alot less rust that yours, but rust is rust)

Thats gonna be more like "what do y'all think I should do?". I suppose one could put a straw in the drain hole and fill the lower inside with a liner of some sort, then coat the outside with something.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

If it were me...

-wheel/blast
    -rust converter or POR15
    -etch primer
    -kitty hair filler
    - filler
    - prime/paint
    - shoot some rust preventative goop in the holes and make sure the drains are still clear

Here's a little writeup of my painting fun...
    Money...This little adventure cost me about $900 to start from scratch, I had nothing for painting except the compressor. That was sanding supplies, paint supplies, paint, sawhorses, polishing supplies and other miscellaneous stuff. About $150 of that was wasted with redoing or sandpaper I didnt need. Not cheap but now I will only need to spend about $300 in paint if I wont to repaint a car with base/clear, not sure how much single stage would cost to do a car. Here is some of the stuff I bought:

Work space...I have a two car garage(25x21) set up as one big stall so I have decent room to move around with tools. My pieces were off the car so I just bought some sawhorses and set them up were I liked. Cover anything you dont want to be covered in dust. Remove anything you can move out the garage, even if its just for the time you're painting. You can move them back in when the dust settles. Lighting is very important. I have four 8' strips of lights so I had enough light for it but, if you do it with a couple lightbulbs, it will looks different when you pull it out the garage. You use the light for laying paint and wetsanding, its just too crucial. If you dont have the light in the garage, you may want to paint outside. Sanding outside is mandatory if you can do it.

The dust:

Setting up your pieces. The main thing you want is to be able to is easily see reflected light and be able to walk around the pieces with a gun and hose trailing you. I lightly bumped a couple wet pieces when I was painting but I didnt have to repaint. The pieces were about 3' apart and I didnt have any overspray messing up the next piece. Little trim pieces I just put on a box. I will say that I had a door on a cart with wheels and it was nice to be able to spin it and roll it around with ease.

Bodywork...I didnt have much so I cant tell you much. I just had a few dings but it was easy to fill and sand. Mixing filler can be tricky so maybe practice before you put the hardener in it. I sanded it down to 60 grit and laid a decent layer on, then it sands down with the regular 320 grit that you do the rest of the pieces with.

Sanding...pretty straight foward and easy. Pay attention to the spots that you sand through because those will be the same spots that you sand through when wetsanding. I used 120 for the heavy stuff and skipped right to 320 for finish. Skipping from 120 to 320 can take a chance of seeing the scratches in the paint if you only plan on putting only a couple coats on. I laid plenty of coats so there was no problem.

Painting...I didnt lay it right so I cant really give good advice. I now know that it has to go on wet looking. If it looks dry like sandpaper, its not right. I was afraid of having runs and orange peeling so I backed off and it went on too dry. How it looks when you lay it on is how its gonna look when it dries...just not as shiny. This means more layers and wetsanding but its fixable with wetsanding if you put enough layers of clear on. Sorry, no pics on how it should look because I found out how to lay the paint in the last 2 layers of painting. Primer/sealer went on well except for the issue with the doors. Wet the floor! Wet the floor! Wet the floor! Little specs are annoying.
    This pic shows how it looks when it goes on too dry.

Paint that was put on too dry and has flashed. This has clear on it.

this was the primer issue I had with the doors. Not sure what happened, sanded and repainted.

Wetsanding...What a pain!! Lay your paint right and avoid these issues. When you have to wetsand and polish, it takes hours. If you had to do a whole car, you could easily spend 10 hours doing it if you wanted great results. I got decent results by starting with 1000grit to get about 60% off and finished with 1500 to get the rest. I didnt use much 1200grit. The goal is to get the surface smooth as glass.
    All the shiny spots in the paint need to be gone or they will show in the polish.

Polish over some bad wetsanding, you will see it.

All the little shiny dots must be gone. Took about 1.5 hours to do the hood and I didnt do the corners and body lines so I didnt burn through.

Getting there.

Polishing...I used Mequires M205/M105 combo. It works good but I had to do a couple pieces twice to get the wetsanding scratches out. I used the wool and foam pad for cutting and found the wool pad faster but the foam pad better for control in the tight areas. I used the wool pad most of the time since it didnt use as much compound. If its your first time, you are gonna cut through, its just gonna happen. Will you repaint? Thats up to you. I repainted two pieces because of wetsanding and polishing that went bad.
    This piece was bad enough to repaint to me.

this piecs also

This piece was polished but still had scratches, had to cut and polish again.

You can put tape over the edges to make sure you do burn through them.

Eventually, everything will buff out and it will look good but it takes time. about 80% of the little specs come out when you have to wetsand and polish...that would be the only good thing about it.
    looks like there are specs on this hood but those are the holes for the center trim.

This is just my experience with my first time painting and you may have different results. We'll see how it looks when it together. I couldnt get the video to load but thats okay cause I was a few drinks in. The video was after spraying paint and before any wetsanding was done.

Awesome. Great info. You just made the whole process a lot less scary, and more possible.

Thanks, it was an experience for sure.

So a little follow-up. I laid my base coat to dry, either backing off too far from the panels or going too fast with the gun. The problem is in the base coat, if it were in the clear, it would have cleaned up during wetsanding. Gonna fix it one day. Not too mad because the roof needed to be redone anyway, it wasnt prepped or finished because the previous owner was planning on putting a vinyl top back on. Couldnt get far pics because its still in the garage.

The body that was painted by a pro. 5 layers of base and clear put on nice and wet with no runs...

My paint. 4 layers base and clear put on too dry...

You will definately be able to see the difference as you walk or drive by it.

Live and learn. Long as it doesnt happen again, right?

Sad to hear that it didn't turn out the way you hoped. The difference looks much worse in the ultra close-up than in the longer shot. I am confident however it looks, it seems much worse in you eyes than anyone else's. We all know how that works!

Much respect Sam!
    It takes a selfless individual to put the interest of helping others and making an honest tutorial for the next guy by providing brutal truths about the problems. Many would try to gloss over the "oops" moments.

Be proud of that, and that you have already done better than most of us could have done.

Thank you very much, I'm still excited. The car still looks real good besides the paint issue. I know its gonna look even worse when its in the sun but I'm still excited about the whole thing. Besides, it gives me a reason to paint again and get better results.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.