Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just dont want the trim on the bottom so I may just cut the tabs off. The less trim, ...
    csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    I just dont want the trim on the bottom so I may just cut the tabs off. The less trim, the better.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn
    I just dont want the trim on the bottom so I may just cut the tabs off. The less trim, the better.
    I am thinking about ditching the tabs on mine too (or just getting an 87-92 trunk lid and repainting it). I don't like the trunk trim- I think it looks like an afterthought.

Heres what he had. $20 so I got it just incase I cant find another. Still has some holes and needs one small dent fixed but overall a better lid. Im not looking to get one shipped and finding something around here is gonna be hard.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

I would be tempted to pry up the skin where it's folded over, cut out the rust, and weld in a patch. It's a nice flat piece so it should be easy to do.

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Good score, Sam. You'll be happy in the long run. It can't be too hard to "90" the trunk.

Man, I want to go paint something!
    I will pay expenses to Madison WI?

I'm definitely not that good at cutting and welding. I could only imagine what it would look like.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Did you try car-part.com? Just enter your zip code, and it will show you what is available in your area. Who knows, you might get lucky. As a rule, I never deal with rust on a removable part-paint is just too expensive to possibly waste if it re rusts, and I value my time too much.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

You could probably get it pretty close to acceptable by wire brushing it, then por-15, then fiberglass filler it.

Won't be 100% but it'll be better than it is and easier than welding a patch and re-folding the corner perfectly.

Yea, I'm gonna go ahead and use it. Funds and time frame getting small for the painting so I'll have to find one later. I planned for 2 months for this paint and body swap but its been over a month and I've only got a paint on about half the stuff that needs it and havent started the body swap.

Switched the gun tip size from 1.3 to 1.8 and its spraying much better now. Also rebuilt the gun and it doesnt leak anymore...so far. I'm gonna spray the color with the 1.8 tip also.
    My friend gave me another tip for beginners. Get a test piece and spray it right before you spray your main pieces. Now you have a piece that you can actually touch to know when your other pieces have flashed and are ready to paint again. I used my extra trunk lid. It really helps when you do base/clear cause of all the layers. Base goes on in a few minutes...

Well, gotta wetsand. I didnt lay they clear down right. Also didnt notice the floor slowly drying and got specs all over it. The specs didnt start showing up until the last coat of base so hopefully theres not a bunch of white specs after cut and polish.

Heres some pics. All the dust that got into the paint.

Started wetsanding way too early(5 hours) but luckily I was smart enough to stop and research. I stopped because it was cutting way too easy. What was done in the pic usually takes about 10 minutes but it only took about a minute to get down that far. Luckily I didnt cut to far and wont have to repaint.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

I didn't know the trunk lids tend to rust down at the bottom like that. I wonder how water or moisture gets in there or if that seam at the bottom just cracks. Looks like a good candidate for the POR treatment that's supposed to work well.

I'm sure the repainting has been a hassle but you are learning a lot. The only guys I know who painted at home used lacquer and did it outside. Not sure about MN but in California it's illegal for the bodyshops to use lacquer. I know people still do it at home. Supposed to be easy to work with, dries real fast and less dust concern. Not the most durable paint but if you apply multiple coats it will last.

Well....all finished!!!

Cut and polish went well. The m105 cutting compound says it will cut 1200 grit paper so I stopped there on the hood. First polish left a lot of scratches so I cut and polished again and it went away

The second cut and polish took all the scratches out and it looks really clean

Just glad to be done and ready to move on with the body swap. Ill post some pics on this thread when I get it together. I have a little video but I cant get it to upload on photobucket. Thanks for all the advice and constructive criticism. A lot of helpful hints and tips yall gave me.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Great work, be proud!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.