Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Lacquer thinner each time. Poured it in the cup and held the trigger till it came out clear. Also shook ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

Lacquer thinner each time. Poured it in the cup and held the trigger till it came out clear. Also shook it around the cup and poured it out. Unscrewed the nozzled and dipped it in the thinner. Gotta make sure the holes along the side of the main sprayer hole are clean and you can see through them. I'm not gonna be keeping the gun since it leaks so I wont be pulling it apart after this work is done but that would be ideal. You can take the trigger off, pins out and adjusting screws come out for cleaning also. I wanted to leave the nozzle in thinner overnight but didnt know if that would be bad. I'll have more of a review when I get done with the other parts. Hopefully I can get that gun dialed in.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

If you think you may be doing more painting, getting a second gun is a great idea. And, to be honest, some of your problem may be coming from the Harbor Freight gun. I've heard other people having problems with them. A spray gun is very much a precision instrument. Buying a cheap screwdriver or hammer is one thing, but not a spray gun. I have a primer gun I bought at the paint store for about $90, and a Devilbis gun for top coat and clear that was about $300. It sprays so nicely, and honestly, a really good gun can help you get better results, especially if you are just starting out. Congratulations for toughing it out, and learning from your mistakes. Everyone who first starts painting goes through what you have, believe me!!

Yea, the gun has to go. Maybe I should just go ahead and grab a better one now since I'll probably be doing more painting after this car.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

we've always used the napa (evercraft?) spray guns. not gravity fed, just the normal old school ones. works fine for our purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Yea, the gun has to go. Maybe I should just go ahead and grab a better one now since I'll probably be doing more painting after this car.
    Have you also tried using a little lower air pressure at the gun? I saw from your prior post you are using the PPG products I use and like. Since you are doing black and not a metallic, playing with the air pressure won't vary the color. Also, as you mentioned, clean air is so important. If you are still using a smaller compressor, I would drain the water every time before you paint, then air up the compressor, and put an air chuck in the hose, and let whatever water vapor is in the hose get out of the hose and compressor before you start painting. If you don't have one, a secondary air/oil filter, just before the gun, is a really good investment. I have upgraded my equipment several times since I first started painting, and while the stuff is not cheap, better equipment means better results, and less wasted materials. Keep up the good work.

So on to the last of painting. I have the hood, trunk lind, deck lid and filler pieces.

The decklid has some rust on it and needs to be took down to for primer, base and clear.

The trunklid is what I'm wondering about. The rust on the inside. I just get it down with the wire brush and coat it with the primer/sealer?

Nice little dent. It fell over onto the rear quarter of my caddy and broke the rear filler. Luckily, I'm not using those fillers.

Drilled out the rivets to remove the emblem and removed the lock from inside.

Anybody know how to get these chrome pieces off? I dont think I'll be getting them off without breaking the clips so I may just tape them off.

Clear coat is coming off and it looks like I'll have to sand it down pretty far. Might just sand it down and primer it. I was planning to just scuff and paint.

The hood has the d'Elegance trim down the middle that I didnt know how to get off. The front clip doesnt have holes to finish this so I'll probably just fill these holes and paint.

Let me know what y'all are thinking about the plans.

As cheap as trunk lids are, I would just look for a better one. Most pull a parts only charge 30-40 dollars for one. Between the rust and the paint issues, it is just cheaper to get another one.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    The hood chrome is held in with nuts that hold threaded studs from the trim down to the hood. You have to remove the hood pad/ insulation before you can see them (put something over your mouth so you don't get a mouthful of nasty dust-learned that one the hard way).
    As for the trim on the bottom of the trunk lid, IIRC, you push either up or down on the parts on the side and the clips will release. I took mine off, but was not able to separate the trim pieces.

I think it'd be hard to find a trunk lid in decent condition around here. I did hit it with a wire wheel. Got the hood trim off and I think I'm gonna get another trim piece for it. Anybody got a hood center trim, drivers front filler and/or driver rear filler?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I'd grab another trunk lid.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

^^What Jay said. That rust will come back to bite you and you will kick your butt around the block after you discover the blisters next year in your new paint job. The only way to deal with rust that bad would be to sandblast all of it and replace the metal that disappears with the blasting. I'd bet you could still get a dry lid from Arizona, Nevada, California etc. Ask Cadillacs Only in Ventura, their website is impressive. http://www.cadillacsonly.com/contactus.html

Cheers.....R.

Fine! Lol.
    The guy I got the body from has a trunk lid for me. Its an 80s style. Really hoping for the 90s style but I'm happy with the price.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Good score, Sam. You'll be happy in the long run. It can't be too hard to "90" the trunk.

Man, I want to go paint something!

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    That trunk lid is toast. I've only seen one or maybe 2 that bad. I wire wheeled mine last week-only a couple minor spots of rust (worst one was the size of 2 quarters). I'm still planning on trying to get a rust free trunk/ doors/ right fender this year.
    As for '90ing a trunk lid- you should be able to grind off the tabs for the chrome on the bottom and install the red reflectors and be good.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    That trunk lid is toast.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    Really hoping for the 90s style but I'm happy with the price.
    Why? What is the difference, besides emblem and reflectors?
    It looks like you had an '80's trunk before.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.