Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Both fenders and doors primed. I like the gun setting much more then before. Feels good and seems to be ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Both fenders and doors primed. I like the gun setting much more then before. Feels good and seems to be going on better.
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

Share all your specs with us! Tip size for each medium, pressure, etc.

1.3 tip on the Harbor Freight gun(The big one in the combo pack pic'd earlier). Gun leaks a little down the trigger while sitting but not enough to drip. Overall, its been a pretty consistent gun and I've used it for everything but the controls are a little touchy and they dont lock down. Pressure is at 30psi with the trigger pulled as stated on the gun itself(this was probably my main problem during the first night). You can actually see the difference in air pressure in the cloud you make. The first night, the cloud was from floor to ceiling after every coat. Last night, it was from the floor to about chest height. Trying to stay about 8-10" away from the metal is hard at first but, eventually, you get it. Wetting the floor made a huge difference and I found that you can get most of the debris out of each coating if you wait till it dries and brush it out with your finger. Volume control is what I've got to work on tonight to make sure I dont have all the orange peel. We shall see tonight.

Got some color down...

I think I had some water in the line. I thought my mixture was wrong but I let it dry and spray another layer and it sprayed just fine. Hadnt drained the compressor since I started. Repaint number 3 coming up on this. I was a "little" upset when this happened but I didnt break anything.

This is the kind of dust you can expect from painting. No hanging tarp is gonna stop this stuff from getting everywhere. The WHOLE garage is covered. Best bet you have is covering the stuff you dont want getting dirty.

Remind me not to paint with the other cars still in the garage!

Everything will have to be repainted. I went over bad primer with base and clear thinking I could wetsand it out. Need to buy more paint and clear too. I laid primer when I didnt need to and it lifted. Taking it down to 320 and spraying base/clear again. The header came out good because I didnt put primer on it. So...2 quarts of paint and I've got a header panel and front fillers done. Should be able to get this done in under 5 gallons. Lol

The pics of the top of the header looks like there are fisheyes from contamination...

Contamination in the gun or on the piece? Its a fender, the header is the only thing done. Heres a pic of the header cut and polished. Finally have one piece completely done. Well, back to sanding the other stuff down.

Pic of the lifted primer/sealer. Its all sanded down now, ready for paint...again.

The bumps went all the way down to the primer. That means I couldnt just scuff it with 320, I had to do the panel with 120 and then do 320. Huge waste of time and material.

What type of info a product sheet(p sheet) will tell you about your material.

Lets try it again...tomorrow night. Ive did it enough that I should be able to get a good finish.

So I think I finally got some good paint laid down. Everything is looking good. I will have to wetsand so hopefully I can stay off the edges, think im gonna put some tape over the edges just to be safe. Its weird that the motorcycle parts can out smooth and perfect but the car parts need to be wetsanded.

Bike tank is smooth even though I used the same technique and gun setting.

So things look good. Finally got a decent final product. Got a header, two fenders and both doors done. Just have to do the hood, front fillers, trunk lid and deck lid from my blue car and I'm done.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

looks like a valuable learning experience! Those fenders look really good!

Yea it is. Been an experience for sure. A lot of people were saying its in the prep but it was tuning the gun that gave me all the issues. About 6 hours of wet sanding and polishing because I couldn't dial in the gun right. Hopefully I can do the next pieces spot on. I will say my motorcycle looks 10x better then before...it was purple.

Tell us about your cleaning procedure for the gun after primer/base/clear.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.