Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Congrats on your progress. If you find you need to completely refinish a part, or if you need more supplies, ...
    Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

Congrats on your progress. If you find you need to completely refinish a part, or if you need more supplies, you might want to use a single stage black, instead of a base/clear. You must use a base/clear when using a metallic color, because if you don't, you will burn through the metallic when you buff. However, with a non metallic color, single stage is fine, and actually easier and cheaper, especially in a non professional environment. The last 3 overall paint jobs I've done have been PPG single stage black, and they all came out amazing. The great thing about the single stage is that you can wet sand the crap out of it, to get out dust, dirt, etc. My first pass is with 800 wet, followed by 1000,1200,1500, then 2000. The result is a truly glass like very deep finish. Unfortunately, you are learning to buff on a very difficult part, even for a pro (the header panel) because of all the sharp edges and weird angles. Just remember to be patient, and don't get frustrated.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I agree! Single stage for black. While my SS was base/clear from the factory, it has hood/bumper/trunk, fenders, and a door done in single stage. The only drawback is that it can oxidize, but you can then just polish it out. I need to do paint work on my new black Roadmaster wagon, and I think I'll do the whole thing in single stage.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

I've only ever worked with single stage and have had great experiences. As mentioned already, it's quicker, easier, and cheaper.

Only thing is you have to let it cure for around 30 days before you can buff it with any kind of compound (per instructions)

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Next time I'll just do single. I'll rock this stuff till I run out of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    I agree! Single stage for black. While my SS was base/clear from the factory, it has hood/bumper/trunk, fenders, and a door done in single stage. The only drawback is that it can oxidize, but you can then just polish it out. I need to do paint work on my new black Roadmaster wagon, and I think I'll do the whole thing in single stage.

It is interesting that you mention the fact that the single stage can oxidize. I have heard this before, but have never personally experienced it. One of the last 3 overall paint jobs I did I kept as my daily driver in Pittsburgh (triple black 97 Cutlass Supreme Coupe). I painted it in the fall of 2007, and it has never faded on me. It has never seen the inside of a garage (my Cadillac stays there, of course) and when the weather is too crappy to wash it myself, I take it to a drive through car wash. Each spring, I give it a light buff with a Dupont product (I think) designed for dark colors, using a foam wheel on a professional speed adjustable buffer, to remove any small scratches from the car wash. I follow that with a coat or two of wax, and it literally looks like it did when I first did it 6 years ago. By the way, I swear by PPG products, because they are easy to use, and the directions are very easy to follow. PPG stuff may cost more that the stuff from Summit or where ever, but man does their stuff last.

----------

It is interesting that you mention the fact that the single stage can oxidize. I have heard this before, but have never personally experienced it. One of the last 3 overall paint jobs I did I kept as my daily driver in Pittsburgh (triple black 97 Cutlass Supreme Coupe). I painted it in the fall of 2007, and it has never faded on me. It has never seen the inside of a garage (my Cadillac stays there, of course) and when the weather is too crappy to wash it myself, I take it to a drive through car wash. Each spring, I give it a light buff with a Dupont product (I think) designed for dark colors, using a foam wheel on a professional speed adjustable buffer, to remove any small scratches from the car wash. I follow that with a coat or two of wax, and it literally looks like it did when I first did it 6 years ago. By the way, I swear by PPG products, because they are easy to use, and the directions are very easy to follow. PPG stuff may cost more that the stuff from Summit or where ever, but man does their stuff last.

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I don't think the urethane paints oxidize, just the old laquer and enamels. My Seville got painted in '97 with Imron and it's still as black as ever. I used some PPG urethane last summer that came out nice. It was only $130 for the gallon and activater. It's hard for me to get up here though but it is very good stuff.

They do oxidize, I've got the car to prove it.

Do you know what brand was used? And, was it one of your black cars? Still, for the DIY guy, single stage can't be beat. When I painted my Cutlass 6 years ago, my house at that time had a one car garage, and not a very nice one at that. I got lots of junk in the paint, and as I mentioned before, just sand it out, and buff it to an amazing shine. The other thing great about any non metallic color is that you can paint only one or two panels at a time without the risk of the color being off. In my former one car garage, that was the only way I could do it. It is also helpful to panel paint if you need to drive your car as you work on it. Are you going to do your wagon any time soon? I'd love to see a really deep black Roady wagon. Mine is white, and I am toying with changing it to black because it is so straight and rust free. The only problem with black, of course, is keeping it clean.

The SS has some single stage black urethane on it, not sure of brand. The RMW is factory black, no wood, but it will get fresh black single stage this spring.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

i use restoration shop paint from tcpglobal.com

great stuff and the finish lasts.

cadillac_al is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

They do oxidize, I've got the car to prove it.
    Oh yeah, come to think of it I do too. I painted a car in 2001 with Nason urethane and it was oxidized 3-4 years ago. This car never saw a coat of wax. If I waxed cars like my old man, any paint will last twice as long. I believe that oxidation will buff out though; it still seems like a durable coating on the metal.

Yes, it will buff out like glass. I bought a PC XP7424 with good Lake Country pads just for this purpose. That thing is amazing, and so is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. Now if I could just stop being lazy and get some wax on it...

Here's some progress. Its been slow and a lot of mistakes on the first night of spraying. I went ahead and practiced some stuff on the painted stuff since its getting redone anyway.
    Everything looks good from a couple feet away, which is cool with me because the car is about the same minus the dust spots. If you examine the paint, you will see stuff. Got the shine with a wool pad/m105 for cutting and foam pad/m205 for polishing.

Wool pad did a tiny bit of this but wetsanding did the most.

Nice work. The 105/205 combo is killer.

Yea it is. Thats all I read over on autobody.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.