Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im using mine. Its working good so far because the panels are small. If it gets too hot, I can ...
    csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Im using mine. Its working good so far because the panels are small. If it gets too hot, I can always put it outside.

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

Got everything down to 320 grit except the 90 header, havent touched that yet. Gonna have my friend come over to approve everything before I lay any primer/sealer and paint. Gotta ask him about the whole orange peel ordeal too.

Well, first tacky layer on. Feeling good about it.

Think I'm done with the fenders, we'll see how they look in the morning. Overall, I give the paint job a 5 of 10. I didnt get any runs but its not super smooth, there's a lot of dust in each piece and I got orange peel. It was still a little wet in the pics so maybe it will look better when it dries. It definately looks good but when you get up close, you see the issues. On the car, I dont think it will be as noticeable.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn
    Think I'm done with the fenders, we'll see how they look in the morning. Overall, I give the paint job a 5 of 10. I didnt get any runs but its not super smooth, there's a lot of dust in each piece and I got orange peel. It was still a little wet in the pics so maybe it will look better when it dries. It definately looks good but when you get up close, you see the issues. On the car, I dont think it will be as noticeable.
    Looks good to me...once you get the orange peel taken care of, it should look fine. BTW, did you wet the floor to keep down dust?

I didnt wet the floor cause my hose didnt work, 25 degrees out. I put clear on already, can I still wetsand? The more I look at it, the more disappointed I get but, if wetsanding will make it smooth, I'll be really happy with it.

So I talked to the Cadillac body repair shop next to my work and he said I can just wet sand with 1500 grit and polish afterwards. Said it should be looking good after that. If it looks good after wetsanding and polishing, I'll consider myself a professional body guy

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Congrats, it's coming along! I need some sawhorses.

Do you still need that black armrest? I still have it for you just in case.

Wetsanding will help, but you might go through to the paint. Also, I think you will want to start more aggressive than 1500. Maybe 1000/1200/1500? Check on the autobody website. Do you have a proper polisher? It looks like the air pressure might have been too high (but I'm no expert).

Thanks. The sawhorses are 21 a pair at Menards right now. Cheap but sturdy and nothing slipped around, 500lbs a pair. Jay, you can sell the armrest, I'm gonna put my blue d'elegance interior in this one, thanks for holding it for me. The repair guy seemed pretty confident about 1500 and polish but, as warned on autobody101, a guy on the clock usually has a different opinion then a restoration guy. I have four coats of primer/sealer, four base and four clear. I'm hoping I wont cut through anything but I'm prepared if I do. We'll see in about a hour.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

hey these look really good! can't wait to see the doors

Starting to look better. The wetsanding is working excellently. Jay, you were right, gotta start lower for wetsanding. 1500 works fine....If you wanna be sanding for 5 hours. Just too slow.

Here is the wetsanding and polish results. Not all gone but its getting there. I accidentally polished over the 1200 when the formula called for at least 1500. It doesnt matter cause I gotta do it again since I burned the fender up by not having the correct pad setup on the polisher. Probably gonna sand it down and redo the whole fender. Its cool cause its a learning process and I have plenty of time to get it right. When they say to stay away from the corners and body lines, they must mean to stay a good 2 miles away because I dont think I touched them barely at all and I went through in a couple spots. The wetsanding and polish is what did the trick, just got to get a better setup on my polisher. I'm pretty excited about the results.

Still seems a little dull to me but I think its the compound I'm using. I should have plenty of clear to work with.

Here is a good area. The pic makes it look better but it does look pretty decent.

The results of not controlling your shop environment. You can see the specs in the paint.

And the results of not having the polisher setup right. Wrong pad was too thin and caused this. You can see the specs in this one also.

I have to take a couple days off of painting to fix a couple cars but that will give me a little time to do more research. Overall, its a fun hobby to learn and its not complicated if you take your time. You can really get a show car shine if you had the patients and money. So far, I'm at about $550/600 in paint and supplies.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

This is a great learning experience for you. for your first time this looks amazing.

One thing I noticed is you said you did not wet down the floor because it was too cold. What I usually do is just fill up a bucket with water and wet down the floor that way. It really beats the heck out of having specks in the paint. Plus I'm assuming you're working in a heated environment? if not you may experience drying problems etc but from the looks of things you did very well.

I do have heat in the garage, its been a warm 70 in there for about a week now. The temp has been pretty nice at about 35 for a week now so my hose may work now. I will say I've been on autobody101 a lot now and I think its time to join and post...as recommended earlier. It may not be the best way to learn but learning the hard way is one of the most affective ways to learn.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Very cool. A steep learning curve, but it's paying off!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.