Help with Painting Front Clip - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help with Painting Front Clip in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by jayoldschool Kevin is the guy on the Trucks! TV show on Spike on Saturday mornings. He really ...
    Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Re: Help with Painting Front Clip

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Kevin is the guy on the Trucks! TV show on Spike on Saturday mornings. He really knows his stuff.
    I've never seen his show, but his videos are excellent. Like I said before, I've been painting cars since I was 18 non professionally (I'm now 54) and have done probably 20-25 overall paint jobs, in lacquer, straight enamel, base/clear, and single stage urethane. If you are interested in painting, he takes a complicated subject, and makes it easy for a complete novice to understand. And, even people like me with experience can learn from the videos.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I went and got some 100, 220 and 320 grit paper, a sanding block and some spray primer. I was warned about using lacquer and enamel so I may not use it. Outsider, they had 400 grit but you feel comfortable at 320? I would post over on autobody but I feel more comfortable here.

I wouldn't use lacquer. It is just not strong enough-the new 2 part primers are amazing, and not expensive. I've used Omni for the last 2 or 3 cars I've painted, with excellent results. You really owe it to yourself to spend several hours reading autobody101.com. You don't even need to sign up or post. There are new people everyday starting from square one like you are, asking the same questions you are. Just read what people have to say, and educate yourself. I'm sure it is a little scary at first, but the internet makes it easier to learn than ever before. As I said earlier, the most important thing about painting is to follow the directions. Don't second guess dry times, mix ratios, or anything. And, make sure every thing is as clean as humanly possible before you pick up the spray gun.

I did spend about two hours reading the website last night. The stickies are great, match those with the better youtube videos and I've learned a lot.

So, my friend said he will be coming out tomorrow to get me started. So far, I've removed the trim and cleaned the headers, fenders and a door that was already primed. Gonna paint both headers so I have the option.

The two different clips. I painted the 90 in my basement about 7 years ago with rattle cans. The filler on the 80s is riveted on and isnt as thick as the 90+.

talismandave and talismandave like this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

What is the rest of this car looking like these days?

The body is still in his garage. I'll probably bring both mine and the new body home by the end of next week. I'm glad I was able to have an experienced painter come over, he taught me a lot of stuff. I spent about 2 hours on a door and I'm still not done sanding. Couple pics of what I've did so far;

We started with the bad door

Neat trick with a pencil. He said you can paint over lead. Mark the area that you suspect

Sand down to see where your low spots are. Kinda hard to see but the spot in the middle is where the pencil marks stayed after sanding.

The bad spot. The shinny parts on the door are high spots and the spots next to them are the low spots. Right on a body line but it should be no problem.

I sanded one header panel down also, mostly by hand.

Looks like you are on your way. Just keep every thing clean, take your time, and good luck. What paint system did you end up using?

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

that looks like a great start. i never thought of the pencil thing!

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I like the pencil trick too. You should look into the paint at Summit. It's as cheap as anything else out there.

I always buy my paint from tcpglobal.com

great stuff and great prices. everyone has their preferences so you'll probably have to shop around and try a few until you find one you like

tcpglobal also sells great sand paper and other necessary things at really good prices.

Got a little work done. This door is looking good, hopefully it looks as good with paint on it, its down to 320 but I'm gonna wait till my friend comes back before I put paint on it. Thats about 4 hours on that door, hopefully he says its ready. Trying photobucket mobile, hopefully it works right.

The biggest surprise about this experience is the dust. This stuff is gonna be here for a long time and I still got a lot of pieces to sand. On to the easy door.

And the other door..

Now to the fenders.

Got a couple more sawhorses, saves time. Also got some more pads so I dont have to keep pulling sandpaper off to switch back and forth between grits

That's great. What'd you end up doing wabout the compressor after all?
    Did you get a bigger one or are you using yours?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.