21 MPG on the highway - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 21 MPG on the highway in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; my 10-11 mpg in the city is when i hardly push on the gas. if i bury my foot at ...
    pimpin88 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 STS, 92 Roadmaster, 01 SLS-sold, 88 Brougham-crushed

Re: 21 MPG on the highway

my 10-11 mpg in the city is when i hardly push on the gas. if i bury my foot at every stoplight. i get 7-8mpg

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cowl Hood
    Check it again. I'll bet you're not seeing 25 mpg.

Also, typical 255/55/17's as in the Impala wheels/tires measure closer to 26" so that's a little off right there.

My engine's tight and I've only seen 24 mpg, using cruise control set at 75 across OH (where it's really flat), with the wind on a course of ~300 miles.

I'm from the mdwest so telling me you went from Philly to CT, doesn't mean much. Once you drive a good 300 miles calculate it back and you'll see that you're not getting that kind of mileage.

FOr the others who get 11-13 in the city, I can get that low too if I get on it stoplight to stop light -- very easily. It's all how you drive it.

Brian 96 FWB / 96 Impala SS
    Where do I start? Ok, how about this?
    # 1. You need to re-read my post. I said I get 22mpg, not 25. I said that a "stock" Fleetwood should get approx. 25mpg. (I had over 100 of them so I can tell you with a degree of certainty that it's a do-able MPG figure)
    #2. You should look at the tires on your car. They "should" be 255/50-17 (the Impala SS's OEM size) which are 27" diameter, not 26"as you stated. My tires are taller "55-series" tires, hence the 28" diameter I mentioned.
    #3. Even a little knowledge of US geography would tell you that a round-trip from Philadelphia, PA to virtually ANYWHERE in Connecticut and back would put on at least 300 miles (not that you need 300 miles of highway cruising to give you an accurate MPG reading), and that the trip would take you through a lot of high-traffic areas that would definately REDUCE your MPG over the course of the trip. So actually I got 22mpg in a rather congested area and could probably do even better in a less "urban" area.

scurling is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250

Ok guys, I'm back from Cleveland. Total trip was 753 miles. My mileage was 22.6 MPG. I filled up the night before I left and topped off the tank after coming back into town before driving home. The total miles includes only (about) 25 miles of city driving, and my A/C compressor was on the entire trip. I forgot to use the ECON setting to get even a better MGP result. Even though the Fltwd is a '94, it only has 38K miles on it, and I changed the oil the day before the trip using (my standard) Mobil1.

This Fltwd. is a non-Brougham model (a little lighter) with standard 2.93 axle ratio.

Mr Cowl Hood is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by scurling
    Ok guys, I'm back from Cleveland. Total trip was 753 miles. My mileage was 22.6 MPG. I filled up the night before I left and topped off the tank after coming back into town before driving home. The total miles includes only (about) 25 miles of city driving, and my A/C compressor was on the entire trip. I forgot to use the ECON setting to get even a better MGP result. Even though the Fltwd is a '94, it only has 38K miles on it, and I changed the oil the day before the trip using (my standard) Mobil1.

This Fltwd. is a non-Brougham model (a little lighter) with standard 2.93 axle ratio.

I don't know how the regular Fleetwood is lighter but your mileage is WAY closer to truth than the other guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    Where do I start? Ok, how about this?
    # 1. You need to re-read my post. I said I get 22mpg, not 25. I said that a "stock" Fleetwood should get approx. 25mpg. (I had over 100 of them so I can tell you with a degree of certainty that it's a do-able MPG figure)
    #2. You should look at the tires on your car. They "should" be 255/50-17 (the Impala SS's OEM size) which are 27" diameter, not 26"as you stated. My tires are taller "55-series" tires, hence the 28" diameter I mentioned.
    #3. Even a little knowledge of US geography would tell you that a round-trip from Philadelphia, PA to virtually ANYWHERE in Connecticut and back would put on at least 300 miles (not that you need 300 miles of highway cruising to give you an accurate MPG reading), and that the trip would take you through a lot of high-traffic areas that would definately REDUCE your MPG over the course of the trip. So actually I got 22mpg in a rather congested area and could probably do even better in a less "urban" area.

22 or 25, it doesn't matter, because you're not getting either. GM only rated a new Fleetwood at 25 on the Hwy and everybody KNOWS you never see the rated mileage. I'd be curious to know how you've had 100 of them....

Looking at the tires on my Fleetwood, the original ones....they are P235/70R15's. OEM, stock. I don't know what crack you're on but no 94-96 Fleetwood Caddy's come with 17 inch wheels. LT1 edit may show that in the tire size margin, but what's actually ON your car is different...much different. Besides, 70 series tires are taller, not 55 series so check your math again.....and your measurements. The 70 represents 70% of the width represented in height. So is 55 larger than 70??? I don't see how. Stock Impala wheels/tires are ~26, with maybe a 0.5" margin of difference as tires of the same manufacturer differ even between all 4 on your own car! BTW, correct measurement is taken across the tire through the center of the center cap. Not up and down.

And yes, I think you need AT LEAST 300 miles to get a good average mpg, before you start spitting news of great mpg's. I get ~120 miles per quarter tank and so my gas gauge is very accurate as is my odometer. How do I know, because on my own car and customer's cars we've checked against GPS and all are dead on using my measurement process.

evilrussian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '83 SDV, '91 SDV

This is getting interesting

Oooooh, yeah.....

Well, I'm not going off any IP indication. My mileage of 22.6 is actuall calcualted MPG. Miles driven/gas used. Oh, the non-Brougham has about 40 lbs less junk on it in my estimation.

Wink Re: 21 MPG on the highway

Quote Originally Posted by scurling
    Oooooh, yeah.....

Well, I'm not going off any IP indication. My mileage of 22.6 is actuall calcualted MPG. Miles driven/gas used. Oh, the non-Brougham has about 40 lbs less junk on it in my estimation.

BTW, did you buy that black one in VA that was owned by that Russian Diplomat?? If so that was a very sweet ride. I was looking into that one, myself! I have tons of pictures of it.

As for the differences in the two, I know the Brougham has a vinyl roof and seat heaters and some more interior lights......does that add up to ~40 lbs??

22 or 25, it doesn't matter, because you're not getting either. GM only rated a new Fleetwood at 25 on the Hwy and everybody KNOWS you never see the rated mileage. I'd be curious to know how you've had 100 of them....

Looking at the tires on my Fleetwood, the original ones....they are P235/70R15's. OEM, stock. I don't know what crack you're on but no 94-96 Fleetwood Caddy's come with 17 inch wheels. LT1 edit may show that in the tire size margin, but what's actually ON your car is different...much different. Besides, 70 series tires are taller, not 55 series so check your math again.....and your measurements. The 70 represents 70% of the width represented in height. So is 55 larger than 70??? I don't see how. Stock Impala wheels/tires are ~26, with maybe a 0.5" margin of difference as tires of the same manufacturer differ even between all 4 on your own car! BTW, correct measurement is taken across the tire through the center of the center cap. Not up and down.

And yes, I think you need AT LEAST 300 miles to get a good average mpg, before you start spitting news of great mpg's. I get ~120 miles per quarter tank and so my gas gauge is very accurate as is my odometer. How do I know, because on my own car and customer's cars we've checked against GPS and all are dead on using my measurement process.

I'm not sure what your problem is Brian. Maybe there's a HUGE miscommunication here.
    I never said that Fleetwoods came with 17's. I said that MY car has them. As I've pointed out, my car is NOT stock.
    I was mentioning the tire sizes because of your statement about the tire size of an Impala SS as compared to my posted tire diameter. Obviously, you didn't bother actually re-reading my post(s) as I suggested.
    Feel free to check out the link below and you'll see how my car is setup.
    As for how I had 100 Fleetwoods, actually it was probably more than that. I just used that number. I was the fleet manager for the largest all-Cadillac fleet in the country from 1980 - 2000 and during the model years in question ('94 -'96) I was buying roughly 100 Fleetwood sedans, and 30-40 limousines per year.
    During my time there, I tracked our fleet quite carefully and I assure you my numbers backed up my claims here. As for MY car, after reviewing my site and my mods, you should have a clear idea of what my car is, and I assure you, I did in fact get 22mpg on the trip I described. Believe it or don't I really don't care. I simply made a statement based on a rather large amount of experience and attempted to decipher your posts thereafter. At this point, you seem much more interested in running your mouth than reading my posts and trying to understand them, so I'm just going to leave you to it. As I said, I invite you to actually READ my posts, and visit the site to see my car so you might understand what I'm talking about and we MIGHT actually be able to get on the same page here.

Sorry, forgot to post the link to my site, DUH!

Kevin Donovan
    '95 Cadillac FTS
    (Click the link to see my car)
    http://members.cardomain.com/katshot

BTW, did you buy that black one in VA that was owned by that Russian Diplomat?? If so that was a very sweet ride. I was looking into that one, myself! I have tons of pictures of it.
    lbs??
    No, I didn't see that one. I found my non-Brougham Fltwd. in Newport News this summer. A funeral home fleet vehicle purchased by a retired Veterinarian.
    He had three other vehicles including an STS, so he decided to sell the Fltwd.
    It was so nice I had to buy it. I'm almost ashamed of my impulse purchase, but man... it is mint! As with any vehicle purchase, there were compromises. No Brougham package, no CD player, but I'll get over it.

Anytime you find a super-clean Fleetwood, it's a lucky find. They're getting pretty rare. Face it, the vast majority were purchased by fleets and the last one was built going on 9 years ago! As far as I'm seeing, Fleetwoods are actually a good investment nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    I'm not sure what your problem is Brian. Maybe there's a HUGE miscommunication here.
    I never said that Fleetwoods came with 17's. I said that MY car has them. As I've pointed out, my car is NOT stock.
    I was mentioning the tire sizes because of your statement about the tire size of an Impala SS as compared to my posted tire diameter. Obviously, you didn't bother actually re-reading my post(s) as I suggested.
    Feel free to check out the link below and you'll see how my car is setup.
    As for how I had 100 Fleetwoods, actually it was probably more than that. I just used that number. I was the fleet manager for the largest all-Cadillac fleet in the country from 1980 - 2000 and during the model years in question ('94 -'96) I was buying roughly 100 Fleetwood sedans, and 30-40 limousines per year.
    During my time there, I tracked our fleet quite carefully and I assure you my numbers backed up my claims here. As for MY car, after reviewing my site and my mods, you should have a clear idea of what my car is, and I assure you, I did in fact get 22mpg on the trip I described. Believe it or don't I really don't care. I simply made a statement based on a rather large amount of experience and attempted to decipher your posts thereafter. At this point, you seem much more interested in running your mouth than reading my posts and trying to understand them, so I'm just going to leave you to it. As I said, I invite you to actually READ my posts, and visit the site to see my car so you might understand what I'm talking about and we MIGHT actually be able to get on the same page here.

I read everything. You're lying or grossly misinformed. Now you're trying to say that limo's get hat awesome mileage?? Yes, I did read that in your above post.

carguy16 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I really wouldnt be suprised if a Fleetwood limo got that type of MPG on the highway, as your cruising at a constant speed, vs. moving the beast from a stop light. The only thing that changes is weight, that should knock a few percentage points of the gas mileage.

I read everything. You're lying or grossly misinformed. Now you're trying to say that limo's get hat awesome mileage?? Yes, I did read that in your above post.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Mr Cowl Hood, please read this:

"I was buying roughly 100 Fleetwood sedans, and 30-40 limousines per year."

He's saying he managed a fleet of a lot of fleetwood SEDANS and that's the kind of mileage they got. It's as simple as that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.