help/advice!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 4 Post By Cadillacboy
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, help/advice! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 409112_10151144931002979_772723938_n (540x720).jpg Hey guys I own an 88 Brougham with the factory 307. It had been neglected when i bought ...
    C-Leb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 88 Brougham

help/advice!

409112_10151144931002979_772723938_n (540x720).jpgHey guys I own an 88 Brougham with the factory 307. It had been neglected when i bought it and ive done my best to fix it up as much as possible. I am having a stupid heating problem http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l-problem.html

But I have also had pretty heavy oil consumption... No leaks, no smoke out the back...? were talking at least 1 liter every fuel up.
    Also Its not everytime I drive but sometimes after its warmed up and I put it into drive my low oil pressure light will flicker. It goes off if in park or if i slightly 2 foot it. I did have the carb rebuilt by a guy i used to work with but i had to change jobs before we could do the initial setup on the car after the rebuild. I thought it might be some adjustments but this is the first carbureted car ive ever owned and im not sure what needs to be adjusted/ set up after a carb rebuild.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im tired of 2 footing and dumping oil in all the time.

Caleb

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: help/advice!

I had the exact same oil pressure symptoms on an old 87 Caprice with the 307. I always thought it was the bearing tolerances getting larger as the engine wore. However, one of our members had the same issue a couple of years ago, and he simply replaced the oil pump and it completely restored the pressure. The old pump was getting weak. As for the oil consumption, start with the basics. Check the PCV, the hoses, then start to suspect valve seals (would only smoke on start up), or rings, (would smoke all the time).

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Sorry,my post is off topic but could not retain myself from posting because I like your photo shot and camera angle

honestly after reading in other places i thought it might be the oil pump. just a pain since i already did the pan gasket with all the bs of unbolting motor mounts and jacking up the engine to get the pan out. dont want to do it again BLARG!!

Thanks tho.

As i Said before i know its not my valve seals my old dodge has that prob. Im not getting oil smoke anytime.... its weird i changed the pcv, what do you mean by hoses? I fixed all the leaks already

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Next oil change you could try using a heavier oil ...like a 20-50 and see if that changes consumption. Not a good idea in winter of course.No leaks at the rear seal??

I may try this come springtime but its bloody cold here and my block heater is out of commish

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I used to have a Jaguar with bad valve seals as yours clad . Well, I tried a vast variety of oils from 10W60 to 20W50 . It kept popping out plume of blueish smoke when the engine was hot .I sold the car finally but for another reason .I asked my mechanic about fixing and he said it was not a big deal . He put motor additive , however, I don't remember what brand it was it seemed to cure the issue but it came back again

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    I had the exact same oil pressure symptoms on an old 87 Caprice with the 307. I always thought it was the bearing tolerances getting larger as the engine wore. However, one of our members had the same issue a couple of years ago, and he simply replaced the oil pump and it completely restored the pressure. The old pump was getting weak. As for the oil consumption, start with the basics. Check the PCV, the hoses, then start to suspect valve seals (would only smoke on start up), or rings, (would smoke all the time).
    So its spring now and time to fix up anything that needs to be done to the regent.
    Im still have the oil pressure issue but i do have a small bottom end knock, might this be a bearing issue...? would it be main or rod bearings? ive never changed them with the engine till in the car any advice would be great! out of prudence i was planning on doing the oil pump at the same time.

Also im guessing the knock would be a rod bearing....

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

If you're going to try heavy oil, you could also try some lucasoil addative. Slowed the leak in my 307 considerably.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

I did the rod bearings on a Crown Vic while the engine was still in the car. I wouldn't delay it if there's knocking, the longer it goes the more likely there'll be damage to the crank journals.
    I used plastigauge to check the bearing tolerances when I put the new bearings in. You already know how to take the pan off which is most of the job. Make sure to cover the new bearings in plenty of oil when installing them and keep them clean. I picked up new connecting rod cap bolts since I believe they are torque to yield and can't be reused. The Crown Vic had a cracked casting cap design which meant you had to be extra sure that you put the same cap back on the same rod and in the same orientation or else they wouldn't sit properly.

Seville fan is online now Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

Nice looking car. What kind of wheels are those?

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The knock is probably the bearings from lack of oil pressure and if you're adding oil that often it's a burner. At this point it sounds like you're better off changing the engine then trying to repair it.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seville fan View Post
    Nice looking car. What kind of wheels are those?
    THey look like factory wire wheels missing the center caps.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

If it's really knocking, and not something else that sounds like a knock, then you are about done driving it. If it's a rod knocking then you won't get far with it now. If it were me i would either pull the engine and put a new crank, bearings, oil pump and timing chain; or start looking for a replacement engine. I happen to have a nice running 307 but it has been sitting for a few years. If you are in the northeast it could be an option since I travel south occasionally.

Im only getting a small knock after its warmed up and at idle. not a rod knock noise (keeps knocking while revved up) which makes me think its one of my main bearings.
    Low oil pressure is only happening when im idling after warmed up. im assuming this all happened because the old couple i bought it off barely drove it and had it sitting for awhile. When I did the oil pan gasket there was sooo much sludge in the pan, guessing it restricted the oil pickup and starved one or more of my main bearings....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.