1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!! - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
Like Tree40Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was going to bring that up. It's not even like last gen Fleetwoods are keynote Cadillacs in any way. ...
    Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Re: 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!!

I was going to bring that up. It's not even like last gen Fleetwoods are keynote Cadillacs in any way. They're the last of the big, RWD land yachts, but historically speaking, there are better, more rare, more stylish and better built models that deserve to be mothballed. The thing that makes the 94-96 Fleetwoods so great is their driveability. All of their size, power and smoothness is second to none. They look nice, sure, but if we're talking looks, I could list about 20 other Cadillacs that I'd rather stare at all day long from behind a velvet rope. (But let the record show I would drive them into the ground, if given the chance.

While I once favored both schools of thought, I now vehemently oppose the act of preserving these cars. Every single one should be driven and driven hard. To take a car and stick it in cold storage is to eliminate its primary purpose and most significant pleasure.

When we stop driving our cars, the terrorists have won.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

i will never let the terrorists win! I will always drive my cars!

CADIBLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 77, 78, 79 CDV's, 79 Sevlle Eleg, 90 & 91 Brghm d'Eleg's

Realize that Matt's choice to keep his cars as museum pieces has received unprovoked criticisms by several folks on this thread ... instead of just sticking to positive comments or saying nothing at all ... several have decided to offer up their peanut-gallery negativity about Matt's decision to keep his cars the way he does ... about what a waste it is ... and how much of a bad investment it is ... and how it's not what car-ownership is all about ... about how you're missing out on the driving experience ... etc, etc, etc ... (and this has been done across many threads; this is not the first occurrence)

Just realize that all these negative observations about how Matt (and those like him) choose to go about collecting cars is exactly what you guys don't want done to you for being 'enthusiasts' and driving and enjoying your cars ... which is plainly evidenced by how fast several got defensive at the first signs of criticism, from me, about being 'driving enthusiasts' ... so don't initiate with motiveless malignity.

So here's to "YOLO" and keepin' those wheels a spinnin' and keepin' the negativity about those who 'preserve', to yourselves.

Let the record show I never criticized anyone for not wanting to drive their cars. Until you started criticizing people for wanting to drive them. In fact, my first post in this thread stated that I was happy for Matt to be preserving cars for the future. I've changed my viewpoint simply to spite the belief that we are somehow ruining our cars by enjoying them.

Cars can be driven without being totally destroyed. I've seen plenty of cars brand new from the factory, and while the "new in wrapper" experience is nice, it's really more of a complete lack thereof. Go take a look at oldcaddybuyer's new 96 Fleetwood. It's got 116,000 miles, and it's in amazing condition. Obviously not as perfect as an 800 mile example, but here's the discrepency: after 116,000 miles, is it any less of a spectacle to behold? Not really. A little wear around the edges for sure, but it still shines with the best of them. That, I think, is the real experience of car ownership. Balancing enjoyment of your car with proper maintenance and restoration. He has a Fleetwood that still approaches showroom quality, and yet there's 116,000 miles worth of motoring happiness to back it up, and likely many more to come. I myself just happened across a 95 Fleetwood with only 28k on it. It's in amazing condition, like new in most places, and I almost look forward to the first bit of maintenance I have to perform, whether it be replacing brake pads or swapping out a radiator.

Matt's choice to keep his cars in mothballs will always draw criticism, because in doing so it's missing out on the single greatest thing a car has to offer. It all comes down to the question: Why? Why drive your car? Plenty of answers to that one. Why keep it locked in a garage for years on end? Decidedly fewer answers available. No less valid, as it's his property and he can do as he likes, but I just don't think it's necessary to treat the open road like a sin.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I also support anyone who wants to keep THEIR car/s in storage, it's just not what I would do.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Nothing "selfish or self-important" about "Richie Rich" buying it and locking it away in his garage! He probably has one of the last Pandas in his basement.

Don't get me wrong. If he enjoys it, and has the money to do so good for him and God bless!

The collector community needs people like him too. Someone has to keep it protected until one of us needs a new daily driver.

What we don't need are people to tell us what our opinion about driving it should be. "You do you" and "I'll do me" and all's good.

Nobody said anything critical of his choice before you started hurling insults around. Calling people ignorant and self-important for merely stating what we would do with it if we had it.

Get a life. Flame some other website for a while.

This thread just reminded me of this:

God I love that commercial. Too bad they ruined that car, though.

.....Or did they?

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Hey guys no need to flame each other , just group hug
    Well, I must add that I had not realized how much I missed our Fleetwood until I drove it last week lol . It was sitting in the garage , and I took it out for spin and the car gave me all it's grace and pace during my trip
    Not to mention , chrome bumpers add some presence as well . I missed the way the way engine sounds too , a pure muscle car grunt when you push the pedal down a bit he he .So, these cars may be all the cars needs to be driven but I must say these last real Cadillacs deserve some special treatment

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The car has lasted 17 years staying showroom fresh with under 1,000 miles on it. Why wreck it now? There can't be many like it left. I wouldn't drive it. At the same time I wouldn't want to own it either if it was only there to touch and look at. That's almost like having to pay a fortune to goto a museum. Now if I had that money to spend on a car I was never going to drive I'd be all over it.

I know some people who to them a car is a car and they would buy a 800 mile survivor like that to use as a daily driver because it's cheaper then buying a brand new Cadillac and they like the Fleetwood more.

I just disagree with the notion that driving=wrecking. It's what cars are built to do, and with proper maintenance, they can stay 99% like new. In the end, is that 1% really that important? Important enough to deprive one of the greatest cruisers ever built from ever seeing the asphalt?

Some of us will just never understand this. It requires a completely different mindset.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

The way it sits now it's an example of how these cars were from day one with everything original. Seeing it is like going back in time and looking at it new on a dealer lot. Use it and it's going to start getting the wear of any other car no matter how well it's cared for. I don't agree on owing a car and never driving it either but in this case driving it is wrecking it. It's probably part of a very small hand full of fleetwoods left that are that new.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by brougham View Post
    The way it sits now it's an example of how these cars were from day one with everything original. Seeing it is like going back in time and looking at it new on a dealer lot. Use it and it's going to start getting the wear of any other car no matter how well it's cared for. I don't agree on owing a car and never driving it either but in this case driving it is wrecking it. It's probably part of a very small hand full of fleetwoods left that are that new.
    I am inclined to agree. There are a few mega-low mile FWBs out of the tens of thousands made. With a car of this cost and caliber almost no one squirreled them away. I'm a proponent of driving cars as much as the rest of the folks here, but two things: 1) It's his car let him do with it as he wants and 2) The car is being shared photographically with the world. The car itself and its photographs will be appreciated when people start to restore these or put them back to original condition.

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

This car will eventually be driven by someone who only lived once thanks to someone that never lived at all.

I find it ironic that the poster who called us all ignorant was obliged to display it. A living testament to their own accusations.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.