1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!! - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Neighbor across street has roadmaster wagon. Says he likes heft. I did find a nice set of impala ss rims ...
    stoveguyy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 96 STS, 140k
    Neighbor across street has roadmaster wagon. Says he likes heft. I did find a nice set of impala ss rims for it but he is not interested.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!!

oldcaddybuyer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 STS|1996 FWB(x2)|2006 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD

This is a beautiful piece of history. Mine is just like it except for the tow package and 115k more miles
    Cadillacboy and Cadillacboy like this.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    I love the way vinyl top look, but I was fixing a window leak on my new Fleetwood and had to peel back the edges of the vinyl top over the back windshield and... EW. The car only has 28k miles and stayed in a garage for most of its life, but man, vinyl tops are gross underneath. They manage to collect and trap all manner of grime and debris that you have no way of cleaning until you rip it off. Kinda puts them in a new perspective.

Not to instigate the debate, but I like the fact that someone out there is preserving great old cars for the future generations to at least see in a museum or something.

As long as I still get to drive mine, I'm good.
    Part of the reason why if given the choice I would opt for a slicktop Brougham over one with a vinyl top. I don't hate the vinyl, it just adds risk for us northerners.

And yesh, I'm with you. I'm glad to see a few of these cars are being preserved for the future, and that they're documented in photos but to me most of the joy of having a car is driving it. If you don't drive it you might as well spend your money on a painting.

CADIBLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 77, 78, 79 CDV's, 79 Sevlle Eleg, 90 & 91 Brghm d'Eleg's

I love reading all the reasons to "drive-it" ... "enjoy-it" ... "You Only Live Once (Y.O.L.O.)" attitudes, etc ... LOL!! ...

... why would anyone drive something like this 800 mile car, that Matt has? ... just buy a nice 10K or 20K mile car and drive it and enjoy it and leave these 'perfect' examples alone ... so arrogant to think that someone has taken the time, effort and cost to buy and preserve a car, that we all agree is amazing/iconic, and yet you think you're important enough to 'erase' all this effort for your own selfish desires ... how ignorant and self-important, of y'all.

How about those people who just want to 're-live' the feeling of the car being still on the dealership floor, with almost zero miles on them (even after a couple of 100 miles they lose this feeling) ... if that's what they like, then so be it ... who are you to say, they are 'missing-out' by not driving it ... maybe they owned and still own multiple examples of these cars and have, and still continue to, log many, many miles on them (they are missing nothing) ... yet they also want the experience of having one "NEW IN THE WRAPPER", as well. It's the "new in the wrapper" experience that you 'drivers' are missing out on, from what I can see ... easy to get one and spin the wheels off it ... hard to keep one perfect, like this.

I've sat in this 800 mile car, getting it ready for photos, with Matt ... I think anyone that would get in this and spin the wheels off it, is just a bit of a selfish bastard, honestly ... might as well shoot the last Panda and eat it, while you're at it, too ... because after all, Pandas are good eating and best enjoyed that way, versus just being left alone for others to admire and enjoy visually!! ... dear god!! ("eye roll").

Somebody has to save them ...

Regards,

Cadiblac

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    At the end if the day, it's a car. If Iowned this particular one, I wouldn't drive it that often. But when I did, I'd drive the s#!t out of it if I was so compelled, and not feel bad about it.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Birds gotta fly. Fish gotta swim. Cars gotta be driven. Kind of the prevailing sentiment here. I don't care how many miles are on it. If it isn't being driven, it may as well be a lawn ornament. Matt can do whatever he wants with it, and if it makes him happy, more power to him. Nobody is arguing against that.

Most people here just agree that even if they spent big money on a car with low miles that was carefully preserved over a long amount of time, the ultimate intent would be to enjoy putting the miles on, and it wouldn't be "selfish" to do so, because, hey, it's your property now. Even if I landed a '57 Eldorado Brougham, one of the rarest Cadillacs of all time, with say, only 100 miles on it, you're damn well sure I'm gonna drive it, cause once I'm dead and gone, it ain't no use to me... Unless I get buried in it or something.

... holy selfish ... and small minded ... drive a car, such as we are describing, versus just drive one with 10,000 miles (Really??) ... yup, more "YOLO" mentality ... just what the world needs ... and as such, that's why they are priced accordingly, to keep them in the hands of those who deserve and respect them and who will think twice about putting even a mile on them ... and out of the hands of YOLO's.

I've NEVER seen anyone with the YOLO mentality 'step up to the plate' and be able to afford one of these cars, yet ... it may happen ... but not likely (it will be the exception, not the rule) ... people who can 'afford', never have the YOLO mentality.

Where is this car going to be on display so we can all enjoy sitting in it? That sounds like great fun.
    MoistCabbage and MoistCabbage like this.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94FWB, 07Terraza, 09G5, It's a driveway of GM's

What's YOLO?

You only live once.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

As stupid as the saying "YOLO" is, it is an undeniably true statement, and it should be heeded. I prefer the term "carpe diem".

And once again, impossible to be selfish when you're talking about your own property. Talking about how only certain people deserve to own and appreciate these cars? THAT'S the selfish, small-minded mentality at work. The deeper this discussion gets, the more certain I am that "YOLO" is the proper mindset to have. The reason I love cars is the character they gain and the memories that get attached to them from them being driven and enjoyed. When it's sitting in a garage, it really is just a heap of metal, plastic and rubber. Static art. Impressive engineering? Maybe. Nice to behold? Of course. 99% useless? You bet.

Matt wants to keep it as a museum piece, that's fine. If I owned it and wanted to drive the piss out of it and smoke the tires from here all the way down Route 66? Also fine. That's the beauty of America.
    MoistCabbage and MoistCabbage like this.

BigCadMan_1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94FWB, 07Terraza, 09G5, It's a driveway of GM's

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    You only live once.
    Thanks Dave for the info.

... I'm sure your cars are rich with "character" gained from being driven and "enjoyed", too ... I feel the same way about my well used underwear. :-)

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    In keeping with the slang theme:

U mad bro???

Why are you so offended that someone might actually want to drive this car? Last gen Fleetwoods are nice cars, but they have essentially no historical value, or anything else that would make driving even a perfect one taboo.

None of these privately owned museum pieces are able to be enjoyed by the general public, in anything other than pictures anyway. Keeping it locked in a garage is arguably just as much a waste of a perfect car, as driving it is.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.