1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!! - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Watch for it ... it'll show up on www.gm-classics.com , before too long. Matt, owner of gm-classics, bought it. Saw ...
    CADIBLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 77, 78, 79 CDV's, 79 Sevlle Eleg, 90 & 91 Brghm d'Eleg's

Re: 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham 800 ORIGINAL MILES !!!

Watch for it ... it'll show up on www.gm-classics.com, before too long.

Matt, owner of gm-classics, bought it.

Saw it, Sat in it ... absolute perfection in everyway - WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE - seriously!!! ... I'd knock a hole in my house wall and put it in my living room as 'static art', if I owned it.

Original owner looked nationwide, back in 1996, for this car ... actually hired someone to find the car for him ... very, very, very few ever made with all options (astro, chrome wheels, trailering, H/D susp, etc ...) and in triple black. Car was located and DRIVEN back to his locale (this is the cause for ALL of the miles on the car) ... owner was furious and initially cancelled the deal, because of all the UNNECESSARY miles that were put on it, by being driven and not shipped enclosed ... owner spent 3 more months looking (again, back in '96) and could NOT find another, thus he was FORCED to accept this one, with all the miles put on it ... he wanted ZERO miles on it, but had to settle.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Didn't he just sell a '93-96 Fleetwood last year?

I'm going to see if he wants to trade armrests :-p

bornonthebayou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Brougham

These people appreciate cars in a very different way than me. The open road is where an automobile belongs. Someone who keeps a car like this in this manner IS more of an appreciator of "static art" than anything. They want to elevate cars beyond the great equalizer and social machinery they are meant to be, but I think you lose something in the process by turning them into museum pieces.

Looking down the page of this Matt Garrett guy, I must confess i like the whitewalls on THIS 1990 Brougham. I didn't know anyone put whitewalls that thick on RWDs on this era. Almost makes me want to upgrade from the 1" whitewalls (I believe they are an inch anyway) I've got on my bargain shopping list from Cooper or the like.
    Bro-Ham, Bro-Ham, Alscad56 and 1 others like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Amen to that! I would love to hit the road in a 74 Talisman with 800 miles and not stop til it rolled over the 100,000 mile mark!
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Those are Vogues.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

to bad I didn't see this thread earlier, I live in the city next to him. less then 5 minutes away. I would have loved to go see it in person.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Yeah, when I read the way Matt describes his car collection, I get a little sad inside. I love looking at them, and I suppose it's not a bad idea to have some of these great cars preserved like that, but the way he takes so much pride in not driving them... Just kinda weird. I love my Caddy most when I'm behind the wheel, so there certainly is a difference in the way we appreciate automobiles.

Of course, that may be because I can't afford a personal car museum.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    Of course, that may be because I can't afford a personal car museum.
    I often wonder myself if my feelings on the subject are the result of sour grapes because I can't afford a personal car museum. After hours of reflection and self-introspection, I'm thinking no. Cars were meant to drive - to enjoy driving them and to have others see them. Not see them in pictures on the Internet or when they are trailered to a show but in motion the way they meant to be. There's no greater feeling than have someone compliment you on your car or get excited about seeing something that haven't seen in a long time. It works the other way too - I love pointing stuff out to my kids when I'm driving along.

I guess someone needs to preserve this stuff for future generations to gawk at from behind velvet ropes, but don't look at me. I drive the crap out of my cars until I get bored with them or they wear out.
    bigm57ict and bigm57ict like this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

It is also a rush to see peoples reaction to an nice old car at the grocery store or gas station, just living life like it did in it's day, like it was meant to be. I have not been able to enjoy that yet in my Cadillac, but remember it well from my 1957 Buick Century. That is another reason I want to keep it fairly close to stock. Heavily customized they don't have the same aura of being unstuck in time and back in the community.
    bigm57ict and bigm57ict like this.

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

So Matt bought it, eh? I did not know that but he is the first one who came to mind when I saw the listing. This would be the holy grail final gen Fleetwood in his eyes. At least pictures will be taken and posted for all to enjoy.

Figured I'd resurrect this thread since Matt posted pictures of the 800 mile Fleetwood in all of its glory.

http://www.mcsmk8.com/96-BRHM-GRAIL/96-BRHM.html

smokuspollutus is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It can be disputed whether or not its a good thing to never, ever drive a car. But you do have to ask yourself what am I saving this thing for?

Take for example, my uncle. Whenever he buys a car, the first thing he does when he gets home is to take out the floor mats, and throw them in the trunk. Why? Well, he always responds "Ever been to a junkyard? What do 99% of the cars there have in common? Brand new carpets."

So, for however long the car was on the road, someone took care enough to protect the carpet-but for what? Eventually, it ended up junk, and nobody ever used what they paid for. And as sure as the government is slow moving, you will never ever ever ever ever...ever get your investment back on a car-its just the nature of the beast. So, of course take care of it, but use it, after all, you dished out (according to the window sticker of this FWB) 40k dollars for it!

Gman1023 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Giovanni View Post
    Figured I'd resurrect this thread since Matt posted pictures of the 800 mile Fleetwood in all of its glory.

http://www.mcsmk8.com/96-BRHM-GRAIL/96-BRHM.html
    I saw this the other night. His photography is awesome as always. This has to be just about the perfect last gen FWB. Only thing I would change for my own tastes would be to opt for the vinyl top delete. I would love to have Matt's money and/or cars.

I love the way vinyl top look, but I was fixing a window leak on my new Fleetwood and had to peel back the edges of the vinyl top over the back windshield and... EW. The car only has 28k miles and stayed in a garage for most of its life, but man, vinyl tops are gross underneath. They manage to collect and trap all manner of grime and debris that you have no way of cleaning until you rip it off. Kinda puts them in a new perspective.

Not to instigate the debate, but I like the fact that someone out there is preserving great old cars for the future generations to at least see in a museum or something.

As long as I still get to drive mine, I'm good.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

All vinle top cars are like that especialy in states known for bad rust for cars

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.