Swapped an LS1 into my 81 DeVille Limo, have some questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Swapped an LS1 into my 81 DeVille Limo, have some questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Swapped a LS1 into my 1981 Cadillac Deville Limo, have some questions on loose ends. Electronic Climate control - is ...
    flynlowrr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 81 Deville

Swapped an LS1 into my 81 DeVille Limo, have some questions

Swapped a LS1 into my 1981 Cadillac Deville Limo, have some questions on loose ends.

Electronic Climate control - is there an aftermarket or universal unit that can replace the stock one? Trying to determine if its as simple as hooking up the power to the unit and splicing it into the wiring for the ls1 compressor of if I need to do something custom.

Gauges - anyone done a custom gauge panel for the dash? Want to ditch the stock gauges and go custom, didn't know if there was something already out there or if I have to go complete custom. Not going to be using the stock gauges as they are a headache to switch over. (Tranny is upgraded to a 460le).

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    No pics? What tranny? Aftermarket computer?

Does the AC head unit work at all?

paetional0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham
    ^^^^^ what he said

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: Swapped an LS1 into my 81 DeVille Limo, have some questions

If you have tried to turn on the heat, the blower will not go on.. this is because the computer has to ground a wire to make it go on. The computer does that when a temp is reached.. But if you put it on defrost the blower will go on.. All I had to do was find that wire and ground it.. Then everything will work the same except the delayed blower on...

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn View Post
    No pics? What tranny? Aftermarket computer?

Does the AC head unit work at all?
    Stock Tranny out of a 2000 Camaro. 460le Transmission.
    Stock Computer out of a 2000 Camaro.

The AC head unit worked prior to the engine swap; however I didn't use the AC since the enigne had problems and it wasn't charged.

Here is a pic of the car as it sits now:

----------

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    If you have tried to turn on the heat, the blower will not go on.. this is because the computer has to ground a wire to make it go on. The computer does that when a temp is reached.. But if you put it on defrost the blower will go on.. All I had to do was find that wire and ground it.. Then everything will work the same except the delayed blower on...
    If I find that ground wire, then it's just a matter of hooking up the ground/power to the body harness while still retaining the stock AC unit?

Do you by chance remember which wire it was?

I had the same problem after my motor swap. It was a ground wire coming from the passanger side somewhere. It had a ground loop on the end and I just grounded it to my engine block. That motor is looking good in there. Was it hard to get the computer stuff out the Camaro or did it come out in one piece? I would love to do a swap like this but the computer stuff would worry me.

I had the same problem after my motor swap. It was a ground wire coming from the passanger side somewhere. It had a ground loop on the end and I just grounded it to my engine block. That motor is looking good in there. Was it hard to get the computer stuff out the Camaro or did it come out in one piece? I would love to do a swap like this but the computer stuff would worry me.
    Thanks for the lead, I'll check it out once all the needless items are out of there.

I bought the entire engine, trans and harness together as an entire package. I even have the F-body body harness and fuse panel. I'm doing all custom gauges on the inside, so there will be practically nothing left of the original harness.

If you have the money, check dakotadigital for gauges. They will custom make whatever you want using your original cluster.

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

^That's a good option, as the stock gauge cluster is tiny on this car. Unless you hack up the dash, you really can't fit a nice set of autometers in there.

Cadillacboy is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

That car looks sweet and kudos to you and everyone whoever is working on your car

If you have the money, check dakotadigital for gauges. They will custom make whatever you want using your original cluster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron9000 View Post
    ^That's a good option, as the stock gauge cluster is tiny on this car. Unless you hack up the dash, you really can't fit a nice set of autometers in there.
    I was never a fan of the Dakota Digital gauges given their price. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and buy a spare dash that I can hack up.

The gear indiator on the dash no longer works so I'm just going to open up the entire area where the gear indicator and speedo are, should be enough for some 2 1/6" gauges in there. Will need to measure tonight.

Outside of the stock climate control unit, all the gauges will be re-wired into the new harness/custom wires.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Check out Aeroforce Interceptor gauges they are a single gauge that plugs in to the diagnostic port and will read everything the cars computer reads providing a digital display of it on a standard pod gauge.
    They even make an adapter to run 2 gauges at once..
    You can display 2 readings per gauge at once or program them to cycle through 8 displays per line for 16 readings changing very couple seconds.
    They will display everything that you have on the dashboard and more a long with reading/clearing trouble codes 0-60 ect,ect..
    It will basically read what a GM tech2 can but without allowing you to make changes to the computer..

I ran one in my G5 GT and might possibly move it over to my CTS if I can find a spot for it that looks nice but we use them in every car..

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_order_gm.html

Quote Originally Posted by CTSCHICK View Post
    Check out Aeroforce Interceptor gauges they are a single gauge that plugs in to the diagnostic port and will read everything the cars computer reads providing a digital display of it on a standard pod gauge.
    They even make an adapter to run 2 gauges at once..
    You can display 2 readings per gauge at once or program them to cycle through 8 displays per line for 16 readings changing very couple seconds.
    They will display everything that you have on the dashboard and more a long with reading/clearing trouble codes 0-60 ect,ect..
    It will basically read what a GM tech2 can but without allowing you to make changes to the computer..

I ran one in my G5 GT and might possibly move it over to my CTS if I can find a spot for it that looks nice but we use them in every car..

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products_order_gm.html
    Took the idea right out of my head. I'm heading down to the shop tonight and if there is enough space in the dash after removing the gear indicator/speedo clusters to mount the dual Aeroforce gauges (2 1/16") than I'm just going to mount them in there.

Set one of them to MPH and RPM and set the other to Oil Pressure & Fuel Pressure.

I already have Autometer gauges for the coolant temp and fuel level that will be going into the center area where the Mirror adjuster (fixed them) and that ridiulous MPG/Cylinder thing is.

Don't know what I'm going to do with the stock fuel level gauge/area.

This is one way, someone did this and I was thinking of doing the same. You can only fit 1.5" gauges in that spot, though.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by flynlowrr View Post
    Took the idea right out of my head. I'm heading down to the shop tonight and if there is enough space in the dash after removing the gear indicator/speedo clusters to mount the dual Aeroforce gauges (2 1/16") than I'm just going to mount them in there.

Set one of them to MPH and RPM and set the other to Oil Pressure & Fuel Pressure.

I already have Autometer gauges for the coolant temp and fuel level that will be going into the center area where the Mirror adjuster (fixed them) and that ridiulous MPG/Cylinder thing is.

Don't know what I'm going to do with the stock fuel level gauge/area.
    Oil pressure isnt read on the ls1 computer, I think the gauge goes straight to the sensor.
    The Interceptor gauge does have 2 other inputs for those sensors with a harness that plugs in to the back of it for that type of stuff..

Sad I know all of this sorry, but I watched my b.f. wire that into a 70's Datusun with a ls2 and supercharger he wired the Interceptor to show oil pressure and boost some how with the other sensors on Aeroforce's website..

I had to learn all of the gauge's functions to drive our Z28, That gauge reads a lot of stuff like which gear the transmission is in, shift timing, torgue converter lock up and torque converter slip, transmission temp..
    Plus in heavy traffic the Interceptor can turn on the high speed fans cool down a modded engine..

I actually used that gauge to beat Pontiac with a warranty claim on a gunked up cylinder head on my G5 GT cause the gauge will count misfires and fuel trims..
    I was able to show the engine was miss firing just enough to not show a trouble code while the computer was pulling fuel and reducing engine performance on my car..
    They hated me with the Interceptor lol

I know that Gauge pretty good if you have any questions or if you have any questions about the ls1 computer hooking up to it my b.f. does that stuff all of the time with different cars and engine swaps I can always ask him for you..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.