Brake Light on dashboard - 1987 Fleetwood Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Brake Light on dashboard - 1987 Fleetwood Brougham in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So my BRAKE illuminated display lamp is on on the dashboard. I am told it just needs to reset and ...
    The-Dullahan is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Brake Light on dashboard - 1987 Fleetwood Brougham

So my BRAKE illuminated display lamp is on on the dashboard. I am told it just needs to reset and it will not effect performance of the car or cause a problem. But why is it on and how would I "Reset" it. An answer would be appreciated, as I still have to move the car -SOON- and have work at 4 AM, so I would prefer to do so prior to that.

Okay, so first a quick backstory. My brake line developed a tiny pinhole leak in it, in the section between the master cylinder and where it splits. I had little choice given the lack of free time and the location other than to bring it to Pepboys, which was nearby.

Anyhow, I got it there, as it was like 1/4 mile and I didn't have to get it over 10 mph to do so. I removed the section (which is maybe three feet long, if you count all of the coils and bends) and put a plug in the master cylinder, to keep it from draining while the car was parked. I had to leave it there, because their technicians had all gone home already (Why the **** are you open then?) and I left the piece of brake line I removed as an example in the envelope with the service statement, explaining what needed to be replaced. I also left a note that said "MASTER CYLINDER CURRENTLY PLUGGED. DO NOT RUN" so they understood not to run it without removing that. Anyhow, two days later (today) I call them asking what the problem is (this is literally a thirty minute job tops) and why they have not called me. Well, it turns out they searched the entire brake lines on the car and could not find a leak. Well duh, because the part that was leaking was already removed by me, in their parking lot... So then they realized I needed that replaced, I explained that if it would not be done today I would not pay and will come send a tow truck for my car now, but they promised as such. Then they called later, because it needs a new master cylinder, because of how one side was plugged. So they ran the car and broke it. Great. Can't fight that, so I have to eat the loss on that too. $616 later, everything is just fine and dandy, except that now the BRAKE idiot light is on, which they said is normal and will just need to reset.

So...how do I deal with the fact that it is still on? Is this perhaps caused by a sensor that connects to where the brake line splitter piece is and perhaps illuminates to inform me that the parking brake is on? If that is the answer, I believe I may know why. If there is such a sensor there, their technicians may have reconnected the connector, causing the lamp to light. This is most likely because the previous owner disconnected said hypothetical sensor, as the light was possibly always on (my car has no emergency brake)

----------

Update.

Two seconds of checking indicates that was the issue.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: Brake Light on dashboard - 1987 Fleetwood Brougham

Is the sensor plugged in at the proportioning valve? If so, and the pedal feels nice and tight, you should be good.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Who ever told you to reset the Brake waning indicator, shouldn't even be allowed look at look at you car (from across the street).

The Brake Warning indicator is illuminated when there is unequal pressure between the two sides of the master cylinder, or when the parking brake is engaged. The parking brake switch, which turns on the light, is located at the top of the parking brake assembly, so unless they would have crawled under the dashboard and plugged it in, that is not turning on your light.

I would say that the brakes were either bled improperly, or you have another leak somewhere.

Yes Sven, I presumed the same/similar. I do not approve of using Pepboys for ANYTHING (They literally ****ed this job up anyhow) but was essentially left with no choice. If I had known it would take them so long for a simple problem, I would have just had AAA tow it across the state to my typical shop, where I would have ended up doing the work myself, using the shop's lift for my convenience.

The sensor at the proportioning valve, as it happens to be, has never been plugged in in my ownership of the car, or at least not in a very long time (I mean, that thing does not come off easily or on it's own by "accident") and the last time anyone could have been in a position to even touch that...Pffft, who knows.

The shop apparently plugged it in (it being the source of the light, as when it is removed, the light goes off)

Either way, still not moving the car anywhere right now. It's home and safe, until I can make sure everything is squared away.

that being said, my brake pedal is plenty tight, but when the plug is plugged in, the light is now on as a constant. Would this thereby indicate another issue I should address? It may be relevant that my car has always been in such a way that even tapping the parking brake pedal would drop it to the floor instantly (and it can be raised without the release) and has never had an effect on the car's ability to drive before. Could this be because by one means or another, the parking brake is not functional (never has been) and thereby the sensor may have been tripped the entire time as a result of it, so it has been disconnected (which would indicate the sensor had been disconnected by the previous owner, many years ago). As a quick review, here's what we have.

Brake pedal is tight. Stops fine.

If the sensor is plugged in, the light goes on.

Emergency/Parking brake pedal sinks to floor or rises with no effort, whatsoever.

If I don't get back to you lot for a bit, it's because I am about to head to work (Taking different car anyhow) but should be back by this evening to see any updates here.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

If it's not the parking brake not coming up all the way, then there is a problem in the proportioning valve. The pedal may be stiff but I'll bet the brakes aren't working 100% yet. I always test them by locking them up on ice or grass to see if all 4 wheels will skid. It probably needs more bleeding. If you want things done right you have to do it yourself instead of paying for other people to learn on your car.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

I know that this has nothing to do with your brake light.

It sounds like there is too much slack in the e-brake cables. Either the cables have stretched, your adjusters are not working, the cables are not hooked up, or the sheath on the cables have collapsed.
    The E-brake pedal has a vacuum release which releases the pedal when the car is in gear (there is no manual release). This makes it a true emergency brake as opposed to a parking brake that can be used as an e-brake.

Not to play the downer card. But E-brakes are one of the things I consider to be an integral safety item that should deem the car un-drivable if they don't work. Since I do all my car work in the driveway with jack stands or ramps, a good working e-brake along with chocks is the only way I'd feel safe working under the car. Plus, no e-brakes means no chance in a blue moon would I attempt an emergency flat tire swap unless I carried at least 4 high quality tire chocks.

I agree with al, in that I do not like people servicing my cars. However, I lack the luxury of gettng regularly scheduled free time and there was no alternative choice. Even this is from mobile, because I still have my hands full wth work. Good thing I don't believe in sleep, because I haven't had any in days.

I agree with J's theory as well, as it is essentially exactly what I expected myself. The emergency brake just being completely functionless. This means when I have a chance, it's going to be analyzed deeper. On an unrelated note though, while the vacuum system will release the brake if the engine is running and out of neutral or park, this is not the only way. As with most cars, there is still a manual release lever for the pedal as well.

Are you talking about a manual release handle that would be easily reached by the driver while driving? As far as I know there isn't one on my 85.
    Living in the wonderful world of road salt for half the year means that I've had my fair share of e-brake problems over the years. A few years back I bought a crown vic that needed every piece of the system replaced (except the pedal itself!). The front cable on my Wildcat is starting to fray buy I have yet to find a suitable replacement cable. I may have to make something.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Not easily reached, but if you follow the brake pedal up near the top, you should find a small release lever. It won't be visible from a sitting position.

Yeah, I thought that maybe he was referring to some handle on the dash. Dullahan made a comment that when he tested his brake pedal he could raise it without releasing it. I assumed he was driving in which case that would be normal. If not, then yes, there is a problem with the pedal.
    If the mechanical catch isn't engaging when the pedal is turned off, then I've got an extra e-brake pedal assembly if you can't find one or cant get yours freed up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.