5.0 vs. 5.7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 5.0 vs. 5.7 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hey, long time no see. been inactive here for far too long. Unfortunately, I return under difficult circumstances. My 1989 ...
    Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

5.0 vs. 5.7

Hey, long time no see. been inactive here for far too long. Unfortunately, I return under difficult circumstances. My 1989 Cadillac Brougham has some pretty terminal chassis rot. I did my best to keep it in check, but most of the rails were rotting from the inside out. I hate to see such a beautiful machine retire on my watch, but that's the way it is.

The real story is, I've got a chance to pick up a really sweet 91 Brougham with only 40,000 miles on it, a real cream puff. It even has the d'Elegance package (no way I could go back to those standard seats after my '89 spoiled me). The only downer is, it's just got the 5.0 liter Chevy engine, and not the 5.7, which is so very coveted. Either engine is going to be a step up from my 89's lethargic 307. Even though this must have been discussed here many times over, I'd like to hear some fresh opinions. Is holding out for a 5.7 really worth it? On paper, it's not much of an increase in power or torque, but I'd love to hear from someone who's driven both and can offer a comparison.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 5.0 vs. 5.7

Go for it. Many of the owners here prefer the 305 to the 350 since it rides smoother than the trailer package equipped 350 cars.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

If you like the cadillac softness, you'll love the 305. If you want a good base for performance, you'll want the 350. I drove one 305 caddy and it was like the softness of 307 caddies but with more response on the pedal.
    Cadillac_Fan likes this.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*

I agree; the 305 would be a mild step-up from the 307 because of the Throttle Body Injection system, which offers more engine response. The 350 is more bang for your buck, but it's only marginally better than the 305, and was almost exclusively optioned with the towing package, so the ride quality will be a lot harsher.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Smile

The trailer towing package was the only way to get the 350 in 1990 from what I remember, in 1991 and 1992 the 350 could be had separate from the towing package. I owned a 90 Brougham d'Elegance with 350 and tow - to this day I still can't believe how firm that car rode, not very Cadillace-esque. Get the 305 and you will be assured of the smooth and soft Cadillac experience these cars are known for. Good luck!

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

I can't believe that no one mentioned the fact that Giovanni just waltzes back in here after being absent, and not even a case of beer under said arm to share with the bro's.

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Heh, sorry guys. I suppose I should have dropped in every once in a while. If I pick up this new Brougham, I'll certainly share pics.

I was always planning a big restoration for the '89, and I was certainly gonna share that. The restoration finally got under way because I had a beautiful new chevy 350 practically fall into my lap, and that was slated to replace the leaky, tired 307. But now that I have the money, I started peeling back the layers and saw some pretty ugly things. I'd post pics of that, but... that would just be depressing. 24 New England winters and over 200,000 miles without a garage, kinda rough. But hey, as long as my crated 350 keeps, I can always pop it in if the 305 blows... if my father doesn't steal it for his plow truck this winter...

But thanks for the input, guys! A big help, as always!

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Yes, sometimes you have to "know when to fold 'em" when it comes to salt belt cars. Been there, done that, will do it again. Harvest the good parts, and move on to something new.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    I'd go for the 5.0. It preserves the cadillac ride while giving you better power than the 307. Besides, at 40k miles, the body is barely broke in and the car should serve you well for many many years to come.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

I wouldn't take anything but a 350 Brougham, but like someone else said if you don't care about the extra performance and would rather have the softer ride go for what you found.

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

I had a 350 Brougham, never again. Didn't ride like a Cadillac, trans shifted like a truck, squeaked and rattled with the sunroof option. Had great torque off the line, but man it was a DOG over about 50mph. Get one with the CHEVY 305, the suspension is set up properly for that Cadillac ride. Plus you can always swap in your 350 with minimal fuss if it proves to be too slow for you.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

I have not driven either of those cars but I would take 5.7 V8 but don't quote me lol Well, anyway I remember you and good to see you back
    May you become happy with your decision

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
    I have never drove the tbi 5.0...but I own a 90 with the 5.7 & use to have a 89 with the carb'd 5.0.

Power on the 5.7 is good, the 5.0 was better than my 4100, but the 5.7 destroys it.

Now for ride quality to me they all have that "Cadillac" ride.

Just my opinion though...

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by AElayyat
    I have never drove the tbi 5.0...but I own a 90 with the 5.7 & use to have a 89 with the carb'd 5.0.

Power on the 5.7 is good, the 5.0 was better than my 4100, but the 5.7 destroys it.

Now for ride quality to me they all have that "Cadillac" ride.

Just my opinion though...
    I drove a 1991 roadmaster wagon with the tbi 5.0 (had 90k miles on it). It was a hair faster than my 307 powered brougham to 40, but it fell on its face after that, while the 307 kept pulling and would run out of steam about 60 or so.
    However, my brougham with the '87 350 motor would obliterate the tbi 5.0 and 86-90 307.
    I've never driven a 90 tow pack brougham, so I can't comment on the ride of one, but it can't be any worse quality wise than all of the old caddys out there with original, worn out suspension that bobs arounds and bottoms out.

Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

I'm of the opinion that most 307 owners who complain about power need carb, EGR or vacuum line work or their cat is plugged. I say that because I test drove a lot of 307s and power was all over the map, esp. on the higher mileage cars. The good ones were completely adequate in any situation save accelerating up a hill with a full load of passengers.

Never drove a 350 Brougham but did hustle a 350 Roadmaster rental from Memphis to Nashville one night in the mid 90s. The 350 felt really powerful and the car was fast.

Never drove a 305 but logically (and from the comments here) it should be similar to a good 307 meaning completely adequate. You would get the same great ride that the 307 cars had and the FI should be easier to keep in tune and pass smog. I can't imagine the 305 being smoother or quieter than my 307, though.

If it's true that getting a 350 car means sacrificing the Cadillac ride that would be a deal breaker for me. The ride is something than cannot be matched by any modern car. It's the thing everyone mentions when they ride in my car, well that and the classic Cadillac leather smell!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.