Tech 1/2 vs diagnostic/tuning software..
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Tech 1/2 vs diagnostic/tuning software.. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; As the clusterf*** that is my fuel pump comes to a close (should get the car back on Monday), my ...
    Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Tech 1/2 vs diagnostic/tuning software..

As the clusterf*** that is my fuel pump comes to a close (should get the car back on Monday), my thoughts again return to the plans I have for the car..

As it stands, I'm now in a position to start looking for bi-directional PCM diagnostic/programmers. Question is, do any of you have experience with the Tech 1/2's or aldl connector/software combos for an OBD1 '94? My base tune when I'm ready will be sourced out, but I'd like to have control over the inevitable fine tuning and slow "upping of the ante" that'll be required. I'd actually prefer a PC based solution since I'll be integrating one into the car, but both will work depending on reliability. PC software doesn't necessarily need to be free - I don't mind paying for something that gives me control, but I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg doing so when a Tech1 can be found as cheap as it can with a little bit of research.. That said, a good software package that lets me visualize guages on a screen without looking "cheap" I'd pay more for..

I realize this forum is more about the preservation of these cars and not the massive hot-rodding plans I have in mind, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

On a side note, if anyone has a lead on a LT1 4 bolt main block out of a truck within reasonable driving distance from central southern ontario, I'd be *very* interested in finding out the details.. The more stripped it is, the better - I can't use any stock components..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Tech 1/2 vs diagnostic/tuning software..

Last part first. LT1s never went in trucks. The only 4 bolt blocks went in Vettes and SLP F bodies. The Impala guys have proven two bolt blocks are fine well into the mid 500hp range. Scanning/programming. I use a cable from AKM, my laptop. Software: Freescan, Datamaster (both to scan and log). Tunercat to read and program the PCM. You can do much more with that than you can do with a Tech 1/2. Google those three pieces of software, and you'll see what they can do.

I guess I misread this.. I was reading up on Joe Alameddine's motor since he's closest to what I'm shooting for in the long run.. I've since found more details on the block used.. One can dream

"Starting with a four-bolt-main truck block (the two-bolt-main stock LT1 block was ditched), ..."

Thanks for the heads up on the software.. So far it all looks good.. TunerproRT seems popular with the camaro guys too..

Ordered the cable.. narrowing down the software but it looks like I'm going with what you recommended..

That said, do you know if there's any improvement to be had on the factory tune? Either from a mileage -or- power perspective? I assume these tunes tend to be fairly conservative from the factory

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Yes, you can improve either way. My SS runs a power tune for 91/93 octane with advanced timing (among other parameters). A good way to get going is to compare your stock tune to modded ones to see where the differences are. There are lots of things to play with...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.