New body fillers for FWB -- Is Plastic Parts Inc. best source?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By j2rossit
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, New body fillers for FWB -- Is Plastic Parts Inc. best source? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; After doing some research here it appears there are many distributors for these replacement fillers but not many manufacturers. I ...
    Seville fan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 Fleetwood Brougham

New body fillers for FWB -- Is Plastic Parts Inc. best source?

After doing some research here it appears there are many distributors for these replacement fillers but not many manufacturers. I chose Plastic Parts Inc. because they have been around for a long time and actually make the parts they sell.

I ordered the right front corner pieces from them and parts will be here next week. Today I noticed one of my nearly perfect rear fillers (the one behind the taillight) was starting to crack. A less than perfect replacement part back there will stick out like a sore thumb.

For you guys who have been through this before is Plastic Parts Inc. the best place to go for the rears? I just want to know the best source for new ABS.

Not worried about trimming and paint matching because I found a terrific, reasonably priced body shop to handle that (so many places said they won't work on old cars like my... 86?! WTH?). I'm just worried about mishapded pieces that won't look right no matter how long they trim and fill.

And the more they have to trim and fill the more it's going to cost me.

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Re: New body fillers for FWB -- Is Plastic Parts Inc. best source?

I'm sure the advice you are going to get here is to try and find a good used factory piece. When I get around to doing my 78 Coupe it will need a few soft pieces as well, so I am curious to see how yours turns out. I wish someone would take the time to make repo fillers for these cars that really fit well. Good luck.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I agree. The best fillers for fit and finish are good used ones. I have not heard of a single report of someone using an aftermarket filler that didn't require work to make it fit. I went with used pieces when I did the front and rear fillers on mom's 84, and they cleaned up, painted, and fit perfectly.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

I triple agree. Used good fillers are the best way to go. These aftermarket stuff sucks and require modification to make them fit and some of the holes do not line up with the holes where they go bolted to. You mentioned a rear filler is cracking, which side? I have a passenger side filler and it is for a Brougham like yours with the hole for the rear rocker trim.
    Good shape.

bornonthebayou is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Brougham

Hello all.

Having completed this project about a year ago, I will add my experience to that of the other posters and say that while one of my fillers was perfect, the other did require some work with a dremel to get it to fit.

Even so, I LOVE my bumper fillers, and am happy with my choice. Instead of getting the ABS plastics ones sold by many websites, I chose to go with fiberglass fillers from Replica Plastics. I believe they've been mentioned on this forum before. They have a website: http://www.replica-plastics.com/ but I took the road less traveled and actually visited the workshop in Dothan, Alabama since I was in the area.

Bought the paint from a retailer but had a local body shop do the priming and painting, which cost me about $50, but definitely worth it.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Not sure who is cheapest (on phone, so I cannot check prices)

But a friend in the Buick community turned me onto this website once (Not that I need anything) but I checked the site out and saw they had Cadillac bumper fillers too.

http://www.dankoreproductions.com/st...etwood-broughm

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

I got the PVC plastic ones. They were shaped properly, but I needed to re-drill the holes to line up properly. They fit very well.
    Bro-Ham and Bro-Ham like this.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit
    I got the PVC plastic ones. They were shaped properly, but I needed to re-drill the holes to line up properly. They fit very well.
    Jon, who did you get them from?

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

http://sandkindustries.com/CADDY.HTML

The reason I went with the PVC plastic ones is that you can easily reshape them yourself by filing or with a bit of heat (But do it in a really well ventilated area since PVC releases Chlorine Gas when heated).

One of the guys from the car club I'm in was a mechanic at the local Caddy dealership when these cars were new. He said the ones I've got on it now fit better than some of them did when the cars were brand new.

----------

My suggestion would also be to fit them and install them complete with chrome side moldings before removing them again and painting them. I needed to drill the holes that the rear clips for the side moldings need.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit
    http://sandkindustries.com/CADDY.HTML

The reason I went with the PVC plastic ones is that you can easily reshape them yourself by filing or with a bit of heat (But do it in a really well ventilated area since PVC releases Chlorine Gas when heated).

One of the guys from the car club I'm in was a mechanic at the local Caddy dealership when these cars were new. He said the ones I've got on it now fit better than some of them did when the cars were brand new.

----------

My suggestion would also be to fit them and install them complete with chrome side moldings before removing them again and painting them. I needed to drill the holes that the rear clips for the side moldings need.
    FWIW, if they crack due to accident, you could probably glue them back together with pvc primer and glue.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.