beginning 1991 cadillac brougham project - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, beginning 1991 cadillac brougham project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Lol I go in circles over it often, don't get me started....
    paetional0 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham
    Lol I go in circles over it often, don't get me started.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: beginning 1991 cadillac brougham project

Man Mark, you and I always seem to be on the same wavelength! That is what I was thinking too. If it did that kind of mileage why not just keep it going? At this point it would be a personal challenge to see how long it can go. I am not a big original guy, if it only had 150,000 I would say replace it. Come on! That many miles. It deserves to be kept with the car.
    Benzilla, csbuckn and csbuckn like this.

Since I am starting with other cosmetics, I got plenty of time to be indecisive on that. Otherwise I thought I'd share a project that was unique. Thanks for the idea!

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Do you have any timetable or dollar amount goal for your project? Are you hoping to still keep it as your daily driver? Florida is not as dry as California, but I am constantly amazed how many old rust free cars I see down here (my Fleetwood included, thankfully). I was just telling my dad last night that I plan on keeping my Fleetwood FOREVER. And why not? It runs perfectly, its rust and dent free, the interior is perfect, and it just turned 88,000 miles today. And by driving it maybe 5,000 miles a year it will last longer than I will!!

Pretty much whatever is needed, I need to price an engine rebuild or sake of a new engine anyhow, and all the rest of the cosmetics I foresee a budget of 7-8 grand and a goal by mid summer, because a good amount of maintenance was performed during the life of the vehicle, plus it was a highway hog before and after I bought it.

The front end needs to be tightened up badly, along with my ideas for "some" modifications. So exploring some tighter lower but not choppy coil springs was the definite decision. Transmission and differential are holding up fine and will assess that once Im under it, everything on the inside works with the exception of the rear passenger window not working, the front passenger door got stuck closed once and never opened so one day after picking up a door from a another brougham at a junk yard I just cut a hole into the outside, unlatched it, installed new door then hooked it up..... Problem solved.

So after that is paint which I don't do myself, and that idea of a slightly modded engine then call it a day... I plan to drive it just because when I was broke and thought Id lose my truck years ago and had to commute hours away just to work to afford to work. this car never quit whatsoever... Words can't explain, so I owe it to her lol

Hey, guess what.... Worn timing chain

That ain't so bad! Do they have any idea why it wore out so soon?
    Benzilla likes this.

I am gambling this one, compression was good all the way around and the plugs show no foul play so it's day 1 on resassembly

----------

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    That ain't so bad! Do they have any idea why it wore out so soon?
    They told me to be careful these things wear out after like 10 years of access driving lol better keep an eye on that
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

At this point I have no questions, just thought I'd share an update pic. Using original parts

ForumRunner_20130306_151834.png

Perfection is a thing of beauty! Glad to hear that amazing engine will sing again....

hey there folks I know it's been a while but I thought it would be good to bombard everyone with an update.
    I've been working for while then gave up one of my vehicles in order to free up $$$$ which was a great thing because it put focus back into one of my favorite projects. My primary focus was to take my time with a rather thorough ground up restoration because of over 300,000 miles of service and many worn parts. Now I'm ready for the daily driving to return again and the process has started HEAVILY. By around this time last year I pulled it off the road and pulled off bumpers and lower panels in order to prep for a repaint, then pondered motor swaps and upgrades and part matched a ton of extras however, the 5.7 tbi 350 ran beautifully although had smogging issues during the timing test despite passing sniffer tests, discovered a worn timing chain, reset and replaced, then walked away for a little longer to attend to work and life affairs.
    Up to about a week ago I was intimidated by the amount of work needed to get it to where I wanted and cussed myself out for the ability to diagnose everyones car problems but my own. Now shifting gears the parts list has begun and the direction is I think set for her.
    LOL so last week I was certain the engine would serve some daily driving use for a bit while I searched for an LT1 donor car for frame and all but for all terds under the sand I was simply lifting the motor to finish installing the new oil pan gasket to generally finish what i started with the timing cover and got curious about checking the oil pan... Me & my comrade discovered antifreeze in there along with the oil, and after pacing around the car assertaining a head gasket replacement. I just said screw it and 2 hours later the motor is out of the car. This whole process will take a bit as raising $ or determining where it goes is timely I do have a simple budget in mind and I plan on a constant quick but thorough restoration with the exception of having some good parts laying around and some good knowledge I believe it is worthy to share the ideas and maybe see what those of you think, or maybe some insight?

The motor is on the stand right now and I havent tore into her yet because Im waiting for funds to find a rebuild kit but I'll be uploading pictures of the latest in a bit
    talismandave likes this.

joel 014.JPG
    joel 011.JPG
    joel 015.JPG

yea< round here there is no limit to learning, so ultimately the idea is to continue research on some mild modifications to the original motor, and currently driving myself nuts over the possibilities. Starting the teardown this eve and I'll share what 300,000+ miles does to a 350

joel 185.JPG

and uh, here's a picture of her final drive up the coast.....
    talismandave likes this.

image-2628485956.jpg

Engine is apart currently, and off to machine shop in the morning.
    300,000+ miles and not one spun bearing or abnormal wear... Besides a weak head gasket, and dirty
    talismandave likes this.

That's a Chevy 350 for you!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.