Question from First Time Buyer - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Question from First Time Buyer in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; It's pretty simple really - take your time, light on the throttle, and thinking ahead to carry momentum are key. ...
    Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Re: Question from First Time Buyer

It's pretty simple really - take your time, light on the throttle, and thinking ahead to carry momentum are key. For example, when coming up to a hill with other cars in front I purposefully slow down ahead of time to increase the difference between me and the car in front so I can then carry my speed up the hill and not worry about the car in front. I find turning off traction control on the 94 is key in deep snow. Getting that tad bit of wheelspin makes all the difference in getting going. Only two times I got stuck, the TC was on. Weight in the trunk (I have two cast iron cylinder heads in there that I never took out after picking up from the shop in early winter), and keeping the tank at least half full makes a world of difference in traction - remember, we can carry (relatively speaking) a crap load of gas, and that equals weight.

If sliding straight with wheels turned, let your foot OFF the brake to regain traction and turn.. Downhill, shifting down to 1st or 2nd to use the engine brake helps a lot.

At least once a year, at the first snowfall, take your car to a lot and get used to recovering the back end trying to overtake the front at different speeds. You *will* break loose over the winter, and the more second nature it is to recover, the better off you are. As good as I think I am, I always realize how rusty I am each year, and a half hour brings me back up to speed - I don't want to be "rusty" and re-getting used to it in a panic situation.. Personally, since snowfalls can be few and far between here in Toronto and the rest of the time the roads are relatively dry, I go for a 30 min drive every time a couple of fresh inches drop. First of all, it hones the recovery skills, and second pulling low speed powerslides is a hell of a lot of fun, especially in a car as big as the Fleetwood

And lastly - for god's sake, get a decent set of winter tires if you live in the snowbelt.. All seasons were *never* meant for our kind of weather, and once you try out a good set of winters, you'll wonder why you ever accepted all seasons for winter use in the first place. Personally I hope Ontario takes Quebec's lead and makes them mandatory - we'd all be safer.
    K2013 and K2013 like this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Way off topic but its pretty easy to drive in the winter. Keep a good distance, brake before the turn-not in the turn, dont tell anybody if you scream like a little girl when sliding, road rage only if you know how to fight, make sure your license plate is still on the car if you leave an accident scene, point your wheels towards the curb you are going to hit, dont drive with cars next to you for long, practice correcting yourself in a parking lot and try to keep a steady throttle while drifting on an on-ramp.

FWD cars are easier to correct if the back end slides out...as long as you know what to do.

Bro-Ham is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

I think 70's Cadillacs drive a bit like a 4x4 in LOW on snow, maybe that's the axle ratio that people complain about that inhibits performance but makes winter survivable. The 90's Cadillacs with the Corvette variant engines - well let me say that I would not advise driving after cocktails, otherwise perhaps put in Lo and take your time. Several years ago when I lived full time in the north, I had a 78 deVille which I had fitted with Michelin Arctic Alpin snow tires and that car would barrel through almost anything winter threw at it. I am still up north currently for the holidays with my 79 deVille fitted with normal all season tires which in the last few weeks has gone through snow, ice, salt, and tons of general winter crap, plus started every time it has been called upon, even in ultra cold temperatures. These old boats heat up fast and never miss a beat. I can't imagine a better way to travel through any kind of elements.

Oh, and HUF, didn't you grow up with rear drive cars and have lived through winter driving to tell the tale? Don't tell me you've given up already...

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Did the 94 D bodies get the 2nd gear start feature that the B bodies got? It was one year only, and it works great. Come to a complete stop, pull the shifter down to 2, and roll away in 2nd with no wheelspin. This also works great in stop and go traffic to stop the constant 1-2 shift.

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    Oh, and HUF, didn't you grow up with rear drive cars and have lived through winter driving to tell the tale? Don't tell me you've given up already...
    HUF, indeed grew up with RWD cars but never drove anything till 2000. My first car was 1991 Cadillac Seville. My first and the only unpleasant winter experience with my Fleetwood was two years ago, when I could not back up to get out of parking lot. Only two inches of snow triggered traction control and would not let me ou! Ouch! I was astonished. Later disabled traction and got out! Thankfully, I do not have to drive everyday and in the winter time only drive when it is nice and dry outside.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    HUF, indeed grew up with RWD cars but never drove anything till 2000. My first car was 1991 Cadillac Seville. My first and the only unpleasant winter experience with my Fleetwood was two years ago, when I could not back up to get out of parking lot. Only two inches of snow triggered traction control and would not let me ou! Ouch! I was astonished. Later disabled traction and got out! Thankfully, I do not have to drive everyday and in the winter time only drive when it is nice and dry outside.
    That's amazing HUF! I got my license on my 16th birthday in 1983 and never looked back, took the test in the family hand-me-down 1977 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency which only had about 60k miles at the time but was starting to show some classic Minnesota rust, I remember that day like it was yesterday, it was even snowing and I still managed to pass the test and live to tell the tale. I had been driving with a permit for several months before I had my license, and was sneaking in plenty of off the record driving for several years prior to having my permit - all in rear drive GM C-cars.

HUF

Oh Bro-Ham, first driver license... I have got one when I was a University student many many Moons ago in a country, which does not exist anymore.... Got a DL but could not afford a car (very few could at the time). Moved to the States in 2000 and got a company car right away - a brand new Ford Focus. With my foreign DL issued in 1977 and forgotten driving skills (if any) chose a drive to NYC as a test drive!!! You can imagine the flow of adrenaline when I crossed Geo Washington bridge. LOL The rental company changed three Fords in three weeks (flat tire, broken side mirror, dent in the bumper, etc. ). Finally, I decided I was good enough to drive my own car - bought that amazingly fast 91 Seville, got five speeding tickets within a month in NJ. Sure, I have got off road in my Seville on a backroad covered with snow... So, you are right one can definitely do that in a FWD if one knows what he is doing! lol

Looks like we got way off topic. Must be a winter thing.

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    Oh Bro-Ham, first driver license... I have got one when I was a University student many many Moons ago in a country, which does not exist anymore.... Got a DL but could not afford a car (very few could at the time). Moved to the States in 2000 and got a company car right away - a brand new Ford Focus. With my foreign DL issued in 1977 and forgotten driving skills (if any) chose a drive to NYC as a test drive!!! You can imagine the flow of adrenaline when I crossed Geo Washington bridge. LOL The rental company changed three Fords in three weeks (flat tire, broken side mirror, dent in the bumper, etc. ). Finally, I decided I was good enough to drive my own car - bought that amazingly fast 91 Seville, got five speeding tickets within a month in NJ. Sure, I have got off road in my Seville on a backroad covered with snow... So, you are right one can definitely do that in a FWD if one knows what he is doing! lol

Looks like we got way off topic. Must be a winter thing.
    Great story! What country are you from that doesn't exist anymore?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Looking at his age... I'll guess Czechoslovakia.

HUF

I was born in the Soviet Union. In 1980s you could only see foreign-made cars parked near the embassies. Things have changed. I was told 200 brand new Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars were sold in Moscow alone in 2004. Most of them were sold to individuals.

How times change. No wonder you weren't driving much, if at all, until 2000. Glad you're enjoying the American way of life in a Cadillac!

HUF

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    How times change. No wonder you weren't driving much, if at all, until 2000. Glad you're enjoying the American way of life in a Cadillac!
    Thank you, sir! I'll keep my Fleetwood as long as I can. I take a really good care of it. I will only consider a Japanese or German car as a second one.
    K2013 and K2013 like this.

K2013 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None (yet)

Thumbs up Reply

Cool story and good insight on the RWD/FWD situation. I will definetly keep that stuff in mind and I really hope one shows up here soon before my deadline. I'll keep ya'all posted if I see anything, and I'll keep an eye on that classifieds thread here on the forums

Thanks.

::

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Did the 94 D bodies get the 2nd gear start feature that the B bodies got? It was one year only, and it works great. Come to a complete stop, pull the shifter down to 2, and roll away in 2nd with no wheelspin. This also works great in stop and go traffic to stop the constant 1-2 shift.
    I'll try it out and let you know, unless someone comes up with a firm answer before I get a chance to

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    This is why the newer RWD cars aren't as good in the snow as the old th400 cars. 1st gear is much lower now and spins very easily. It would be great if you could take off in 2nd like a lot of foreign cars.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.