Question from First Time Buyer - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Question from First Time Buyer in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by K2013 Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably pass on that particular Fleetwood. I'll keep my eyes ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by K2013
    Thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably pass on that particular Fleetwood. I'll keep my eyes open on CL for a cleaner one.

Would you recommend one? They're not exactly a Fleetwood, but maybe they could be a good compromise (I do like certain aspects of it more than the Fleetwood and others less) if I run out of time (my goal is to have something by early April or late march). I read a few other threads on here where other first time buyers asked about various Northstar Cadillacs and they were generally recommended against because of the high cost of maintenance and the fact that they're prone to costly headgasket problems. If I found one that already had the headgasket issue, but then had it fixed, could that be a good deal?

What about the 1994-1995 4.9 Devilles?

::
    The 4.9 cars are pretty well regarded. Sure they don't have the power of the N*, but they are reliable. I'd also look at the 89-93 coupe and sedan devilles (the 4.5 is also pretty reliable)

Other cars to look at would be the 1977-90 B bodies and 86-90 fleetwood brougham (avoid the 4100 powered ones from 82-85). Again, rust is their biggest enemy.
    K2013 and K2013 like this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: Question from First Time Buyer

I think you will be happier if you stuck to the RWD cars. FWD is cool and all but RWD is a different breed and you will stick out in any crowd. These cars are not going to be around as long as the FWD cars and you really have to experience one before they are gone.
    Alscad56, Alscad56, K2013 and 1 others like this.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

As I think your research has indicated, it is hard to beat a rear drive Cadillac. Stay focused, the right car will come about. Good luck!

HUF
    HUF is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 100,*** miles CURRENT. 1991 Seville 175,000 SOLD

Are not FWD cars better suited to Canada with its snow?

Quote Originally Posted by HUF View Post
    How often are the roads in the north actually covered with snow? A hearty winter is usually a maximum of four months, and during that time there are maybe a handful of sketchy snow days, so probably greater than 95% of the year the roads are clear and trouble free. Which I think should make any sensible person who is considering a classic rear drive Cadillac ask: why be stuck with a dowdy front drive car?
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Aames Cadillac Limo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Cadillac Brougham d' Elegance, 1959 Coupe DeVille

Rear Wheel Drive is the way to go for a Cadillac. Part of the historic Cadillac package plus the Rittenhouse Chimes... How many new cars actually have REAL chimes and not some sorry tone generator?

Stay real with a RWD Cadillac and have fun (drifting a FWD Cadillac is just not the same...)

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Yes and the DeVille is the best car I've ever driven in the winter.

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base - Metal tops hells yeah!

Well that really depends. FWD and RWD are completely different animals requiring different techniques in the snow. I've found that the myth of "FWD is better in the snow" is perpetuated by the increasing number of people that have never experienced or owned RWD. Personally, I've owned many different FWD and RWD cars. Some were better in the snow than others, and it has nothing to do with drive wheels. If you know how to drive either in slippery conditions, it just comes down to personal preference. I was driving a 95 Trans Am with bald summer tires in 6" of snow one winter, and I was still making it up hills where FWD cars were spinning out.

And considering the number of 4x4's and AWD's we see in the ditches each winter compared to 2wd vehicles, that's not necessarily better either with the false sense of security it gives.. Again, it's about knowing how to drive your particular car.

Personally, I'll stick with RWD

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham View Post
    How often are the roads in the north actually covered with snow? A hearty winter is usually a maximum of four months, and during that time there are maybe a handful of sketchy snow days, so probably greater than 95% of the year the roads are clear and trouble free. Which I think should make any sensible person who is considering a classic rear drive Cadillac ask: why be stuck with a dowdy front drive car?
    Guess again. This is how roads here look right now and have for most of the winter. Once every couple of weeks it might be clear pavement but a day or two later it's back to this. Main roads and highways are the only ones that are usually fully clean because of all the traffic on them, and constant salting.

But if I was after a Fleetwood that wouldn't stop me from getting one.
    Attached Images
    Alscad56, Alscad56, K2013 and 1 others like this.

HUF

Bro-ham, is not the probability to get in snow-related accident higher for a RWD car anyway? Just forget for a second this is an RWD forum.

Oh you guys!

Put your big boy pants back on. Practice up, a rear wheel drive car driven sensibly will still get you going on those few days when mean old mother nature scares you. And the best part of all is when you're on mother nature's good side, which is pretty much most of the time, you'll have all that real wheel drive goodness with no front wheel drive regrets.

Wait, perhaps I'm more drunk than I think I am, did I somehow stumble into the the Cadillac front wheel drive lovers forum?? I hope not.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

I'll say no. I drive rural roads every day. Without fail, the cars that end up in the ditch are 4wd/AWD sport utilities. Those owners enjoy the traction on acceleration, but fail to realize that advantage does not translate to turning or stopping.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I've lived in New England all my life, and in the 10 years since I've gotten my license, I've driven many different cars, in all different weather, on a regular basis. The RWD's range from big (full size high and low top conversion vans, an LT1 Caprice wagon, Town Car, a couple Grand Marquis'.....) to tiny (a Chevette). As far as I'm concerned, the only real advantage FWDs have in the snow, is when parallel parking (when I park at home, it's either facing down hill on my street, or in an un-plowed private way). If you drive a large, RWD vehicle in the snow, LIKE IT'S A LARGE, RWD VEHICLE...IN THE SNOW, you'll be fine.

As for FWD Devilles VS RWD Fleetwoods, I'd take the Fleetwood, no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    I'll say no. I drive rural roads every day. Without fail, the cars that end up in the ditch are 4wd/AWD sport utilities. Those owners enjoy the traction on acceleration, but fail to realize that advantage does not translate to turning or stopping.
    Those 4WDs are always the fastest driving cars you see on the road here and the first in the ditch. Everyone knows the golden rule for them is once you sit behind the wheel of one throw all your driving knowledge out the window.

HUF

So, would you share your winter driving tricks, habits, all good RWD drivers?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.