ac comperessor bypass pulley
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, ac comperessor bypass pulley in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville with a 425 motor 4brl carb. My a/c clutch seized up, I charged ...
    cooper78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 cadillac coupe deville

ac comperessor bypass pulley

I have a 1978 Cadillac Coupe Deville with a 425 motor 4brl carb. My a/c clutch seized up, I charged the belt it started spinning then it'll stop, but after that behind the clutch the ac compressor started smoking. Original I was going to replace just the clutch then the compressor. Now I want to just delete the whole unit and get a bypass pulley bracket. Can anyone suggest a website to buy from and/or the type of pulley I need. Thanks Calvin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: ac comperessor bypass pulley

The cheapest way to fix it would be to get a good used pulley/clutch assembly for your existing compressor, install it and leave the wires disconnected so it can't be turned on. It should free-wheel forever.

Cheers.....R.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    There is a belt you can buy. I have it on my caddy but its in storage. Ill see if I can find a part number. The belt would just go over to the power steering pulley, no need to run a delete pulley.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

csbuckn is correct.. Just get a short belt that goes from the crank to the power steering.. I would take a rope and run it around the two pulleys to get how long of belt you need .

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    csbuckn is correct.. Just get a short belt that goes from the crank to the power steering.. I would take a rope and run it around the two pulleys to get how long of belt you need .
    This works. I've done it.

Ratcad78 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe Deville Presidential

How does this work with a fuel line in the way?

It doesnt work. Move the line or dont do it. Belts and gas lines dont mix well.

What is the best way to move it? Should I go to a braided line?

Yep, some type of flexable hose.

Cool, thanks for the help

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

I do not remember having to move the fuel line.

Pretty sure the water pump pulley had to be moved to get the belt in place. It is very close to the crank pulley and the belt won"t squeak by.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

I did this on my 78 fleetwood and didn't have to move a fuel line. Mine did not have the smog pump so if yours does it may be different. I used a shorter belt which just ran from the crank to the power steering pump bypassing the a/c compressor. You just adjust the tension of the belt at the power steering pump. The belt for the water pump usually runs from the water pump to the alternator to the crank and that one should not need to be changed. You may have to move it out of the way to change the belts but that would be it. Again this is for a Non-smog pump configuration. If yours used the smog pump it will most likely be different.

I still have the smog pump and there is a steel fuel line right in the way from the crank to the water pump. I've looked at it every which way possible and the only solution I can come up with is to move the fuel line, maybe install a braided line so it frees up the space for the new belt. The steel fuel line is connected to a fuel filter located under the water pump.

So I opted to change out the compressor clutch and I am feeling defeated at this point. I removed the old clutch and am trying really hard to install the new one but I can not get the second piece to slide into place. It is stuck about half way on the compressor shaft. It will not move anymore. I don't know if it's due to the heat and expansion but it just won't move. I even tried installing the front piece in hopes to be able to use the nut and tighten everything into place but I can not get the front piece to slide onto the shaft as well. I'm pretty stuck "literally" at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mrmisanthropy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I know this is an old thread, but I just did the bypass on my 78 fleetwood, and for the record, it's a 47.5 inch belt to go from the crank pulley to the power steering pulley . You could probably get away with a 47 incher too.
    Benzilla likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.