87 Brougham front brake/bearings
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By outsider
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 87 Brougham front brake/bearings in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Finally finished installing the new bearings, hub/rotors, calipers, and brake pads on my 87 brougham A few questions: I know ...
    outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

87 Brougham front brake/bearings

Finally finished installing the new bearings, hub/rotors, calipers, and brake pads on my 87 brougham

A few questions:

I know I have to bleed the front brakes now that I put new calipers on. Do I also have to do the rears? Or is that not necessary?

I know there's no official "how tight" for the bearing nut but realistically how tight should it be? I've tightened them down finger tight. Is that good? Or should it be more than that?

Thanks!
    mjs182004 and mjs182004 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: 87 Brougham front brake/bearings

You tighten the spindle nut till drag is felt on the rotor as you spin it. Then you back off one flat on the castellated nut and install the cotter pin. All this is done with the caliper not installed. Yes bleed all 4 starting with passenger rear then driver rear then right front then left front. That verifies NO air and no old fluid. Tightening the nut till drag is felt, centers the grease seal in the hub and allows some grease to extend from the bearing onto the race. How old are the flex hoses to the calipers? Did you lube the slide pins passing thru the calipers? Original flex hoses can delaminate internally and restrict fluid flow especially when you release the brakes. Alot of calipers are replaced simply because the hoses wont allow the caliper to release and people think the caliper is seized!

The hoses looked good and felt fine and flexible.

My calipers were functioning OK, but I replaced them anyways because they were very rusty and...why not replace them while I had them all disconnected anyways?

It sounds to me like I tightened the nuts correctly for the bearings.

I did lube up the pins. The brake pads I ordered actually contained a little packet of lube for them. I did read in the factor service manual that you can adjust the wheel bearing nut with the wheels on by removing the dust cap. Infact it said adjustment should be done that way if needed.

When I turn the rotor, I do feel some drag. I'm guessing that is what I want? It shouldn't be too loose correct?

The hoses come apart internally (flake off rubber) . They can look great on the outside. You say you tightened them "finger tight" that's too loose. The adjustment done with the dust cap off is once the car's been driven and the calipers are fully retracted. As the rotor rotates as the car is driven, it pushes away the pad. My advice is from MANY years of experience. The money would have better spent on hoses, rather than calipers but I wont try to change your mind at this point. You asked how to do it right, I've told you.

Thanks man. If the brakes feel like they're lacking flow I'll replace those hoses but I just bled them and they flowed fine.

The flow restriction is NOT to the caliper, but back to the master cylinder when you release the brakes. If the brakes get hot or dont release quickly suspect the hoses.

test drove it just now and everything appears to be perfect. Car rolls straight, no excessive drag. no bearing noises, no wobble. Stops great, brakes release great.

Thanks for your tips carnut, much appreciated.

also, would restricted flow back to the master cylinder cause the brake peddle to not pull back up on it's own? because i'm still having that problem with my 69 lol

Nope! Could be push rod from the booster to pedal adjusted too short (rare) Return spring on pedal bracket weak/ missing. Misadjusted brake light switch. Binding pedal pivot up under dash. Worn bushings on cross shaft under dash where the pedal pivots.

mjs182004 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 91 Brougham d' Elegance, 06 STS-V

Looks Good!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.