The Allante pictures I promised. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, The Allante pictures I promised. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by carnut You know a late model Cimarron with a 2.8 V/6 and 5 speed manual wasn't a ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    You know a late model Cimarron with a 2.8 V/6 and 5 speed manual wasn't a bad car to drive! Almost like a 3 series BMW from that era. That would be a fine car to find cheap.
    Too bad its fwd. I don't think I could get past the "I'm driving a cavalier stigma," although they are dirt cheap.

One car I've wanted to drive from the 80s is the pontiac 6000 STE with AWD and the 5 speed manual (preferrably in wagon form).

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn
    Does the Allante share a platform with another GM car?
    Kind of. The Allante was a V body, which was a shortened version of the E body platform that the Riviera and Eldorado used.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

Re: The Allante pictures I promised.

Yes, It was a shortened E body Chassis. Eldo, Seville. But it had sequential fuel injection in 87 when the regular Cad's had throttle body. It had magnesium valve covers and a tuned equal length runner intake manifold with dual stage throttle plates. It had tubing exhaust manifolds instead of cast iron. A specific transmission and BOSCH anti lock brakes. Body was largely aluminum, hood, trunk and hardtop. Body entirely built in Italy then shipped over by plane to mate to its drivetrain. Specific wheels and Goodyear developed tires just for this car.

jsherid1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade, 77 CDV, 13 CTS-V Wagon, 06 911, 87 928S4

Going back a few posts--in addition to the Cimarron, the current CTS, CTS-V and ATS can both be ordered with a manual....my CTS-V wagon (which was built this week) has a 6-speed manual.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

I loved the Allante when it was in production and promised myself that some day when the family was grown and out I would get one. Some dat I must keep that promise. The XLR is beautiful, and the performance is great but to me the Allante is more fitting to my lifestyle as an aging adult.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

Quote Originally Posted by jsherid1 View Post
    Going back a few posts--in addition to the Cimarron, the current CTS, CTS-V and ATS can both be ordered with a manual....my CTS-V wagon (which was built this week) has a 6-speed manual.
    Don't worry, that's a symptom, at least for me, of denial that Cadillacs have even been produced after about the mid 90's. So, that's probably why the Cimarron is the last Cadillac I can think of with a manual transmission.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

The Allante and Buick Reatta were platform mates.

The Reatta is even more obscure.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by Stingroo View Post
    The Allante and Buick Reatta were platform mates.

The Reatta is even more obscure.
    really? I see 5 reattas on a regular basis on the streets (and have seen 4 in the junkyards in the past year)
    I see 2 allantes on a daily basis (both at an auto repair shop) and have never seen one in the junkyard

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Quote Originally Posted by jsherid1 View Post
    As in has a clutch pedal? Sounds like a fun car. I heard about the CTS's honors for being a well built lasting car.

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    Yes, It was a shortened E body Chassis. Eldo, Seville. But it had sequential fuel injection in 87 when the regular Cad's had throttle body. It had magnesium valve covers and a tuned equal length runner intake manifold with dual stage throttle plates. It had tubing exhaust manifolds instead of cast iron. A specific transmission and BOSCH anti lock brakes. Body was largely aluminum, hood, trunk and hardtop. Body entirely built in Italy then shipped over by plane to mate to its drivetrain. Specific wheels and Goodyear developed tires just for this car.
    That sounds pretty impressive. A lot of details went into the car. Is there any common major issues for the Allante?

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    One car I've wanted to drive from the 80s is the pontiac 6000 STE with AWD and the 5 speed manual (preferrably in wagon form).
    Sounds cool for a 6000. What motor/tranny?

The Reatta was not nearly as sophisticated as the Allante. Great car but had a fixed hard top untill the end when they did a roadster. They have aged well against the Allante which requires a good technician at this point in time to keep it working as designed. I was an assistant service manager when the Allante was introduced and, in fact, took one on my honeymoon courtesy of the general sales manager! I vowed then and there that I would own one some day. The Reatta used a 3.8 V/6 and it was a very very reliable engine. The Allante was much more exotic being built in Italy but Italian wiring and Cadillac powertrains were a forced marriage. I've owned 2. An 88 and a 91. Both were great cars mechanically but both would have electrical glitches much like an early Jaguar. Not a car for a non mechanic.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Yeah. That's true, they were different, but similar.

My cousin owns an Allante. He had a problem with the ABS pump or some such, and someone had previously rigged it. Fortunately, he lives about 30 minutes from The Allante Source, so he was able to get parts.

Common issues with an Allante? Yes, lack of owner maintenance on the brakes. If the fluid isn't changed every other year at a minimum, the ABS system would fail without warning!! ABS supply pumps would quit, the hose from it to the ABS booster would burst. Unlike newer ABS systems, if the pump fails you have a rock hard pedal and will find yourself sailing thru a 4 way stop screaming. That's how I acquired my 91. The owners wife had that happen and told him even if you fix it, I WONT DRIVE IT AGAIN! Flat bedded it home and replaced the $200.00 ABS pump. Drove it 3 days later. Another lesser issue was the proper way to fold the top. The material would snag on the folding bows and tear or the pull down to secure the top would break. The top pull down was a slightly modified trunk pull down which was plastic.

Yes, with the Seville, Eldorado!

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Common issues with an Allante? If the fluid isn't changed every other year at a minimum, the ABS system would fail without warning!! ABS supply pumps would quit, the hose from it to the ABS booster would burst. Unlike newer ABS systems, if the pump fails you have a rock hard pedal and will find yourself sailing thru a 4 way stop screaming.
    Sounds like GM gave the "We Build Excitement!" tag line to the wrong division.....

Aron9000 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

Common issues with an Allante? Yes, lack of owner maintenance on the brakes. If the fluid isn't changed every other year at a minimum, the ABS system would fail without warning!! ABS supply pumps would quit, the hose from it to the ABS booster would burst. Unlike newer ABS systems, if the pump fails you have a rock hard pedal and will find yourself sailing thru a 4 way stop screaming. That's how I acquired my 91. The owners wife had that happen and told him even if you fix it, I WONT DRIVE IT AGAIN! Flat bedded it home and replaced the $200.00 ABS pump. Drove it 3 days later. Another lesser issue was the proper way to fold the top. The material would snag on the folding bows and tear or the pull down to secure the top would break. The top pull down was a slightly modified trunk pull down which was plastic.
    WOW!!! Most cars if the ABS goes bad the brakes work normally, they'll just lock up if you stand on them like in the good old days. I also remember reading about the top being a fussy, poorly executed design.

As for the styling, I love the pininfarina styled body and the detailing on the outside(wreath and crest that lights up as your third brake light is so cool). The inside, well that was that old 1980's GM mindset. More buttons=more luxury. I think the digital gauges are kind of cool, but man that is an ugly dash design full of a billion buttons that all look the same.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.