my 86 FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, my 86 FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by outsider that's a great deal for $115! Yeah...took me 2 years to find a set of them ...
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by outsider
    that's a great deal for $115!
    Yeah...took me 2 years to find a set of them (they came off 3 different cars). But considering they only cost me 5 a piece, I'm happy. Now it just needs to warm up enough so I can drop the bumpers and install them. The shame is the fillers look way nicer than my paint job (color is really close but the paint on my car is a mess up close.)

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Re: my 86 FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread

Yea, cant go wrong with that price. Makes me wonder how much it would have cost to get my parts painted.

Quote Originally Posted by csbuckn
    Yea, cant go wrong with that price. Makes me wonder how much it would have cost to get my parts painted.
    Dunno.
    On the fillers, I did the prepwork which I'm sure brought the price down. I wish I would have spend more time on the front fender ones. I missed a spot of flaking paint on the right one and it looks like shit (not a big deal since its where the bumper covers it, but still....shoulda taken those 5-10 extra minutes of sanding.)

Working on the console

Damn, thats slick too.

Picked up a 90-92 SBC fan shroud and fan for the car. Cost me a whopping $16.

Just thinking out loud here, but has anyone done a guage cluster swap on a brougham? I was in the junkyard and saw an early 70s olds 98 with a gauge cluster very similar to mine, but with silver face and 120 mph speedo. I also saw a 68? 98 with 2.5 or 3 inch speedo and tach, which I think would look kinda cool. What all would I actually have to do to swap over to a different cluster/ gauges?
    Again, just thinking out loud here....not really committed to this, but just wanted to see how hard it would be/ if it was possible.

On another note, I bought 4 kyb gas a just shocks from rockauto (143 shipped-which was cheaper than decent regular shocks at the local oreilly/ carquest). Those should be here next week.

wire wheeled and primed 3 of my 4 doors. the drivers door was getting crusty again. I used a wire wheel on a drill for most of it, then a dremel with a small wire wheel for getting right up against the seam at the bottom where the door skin folds over the frame.

still got some more random rust to tackle

My body guy is seeing if he had any paint left over from my fillers so I can paint over the primer....if not, I'll get a fairly close color in a spray can and spray can it

----------

also, anyone got any tips for removing the door edge guard trim and door handle (theres some rust creeping out from behind the passengers front door handle)

Nice work. For the edge trim, what about heating it up to loosen up the sticky stuff? The door handle is pretty easy when you get the door panel off. I think its just the two bolts and a couple rods.

Nice work. For the edge trim, what about heating it up to loosen up the sticky stuff? The door handle is pretty easy when you get the door panel off. I think its just the two bolts and a couple rods.
    I didn't know there was sticky stuff on it? I thought pressure held it on? I've removed the trim from the junkyard by using a pen screwdriver and walking it off, but I was wondering if there was a more delicate way to remove it (don't want to damage the paint any more than it already is)

I thought there was sticky stuff underneath the ones I pulled. Not sure of a better way. I peeled some off before just to find it was rusted underneath. Maybe walking it off in slower, smaller steps with heat will work good.

I thought there was sticky stuff underneath the ones I pulled. Not sure of a better way. I peeled some off before just to find it was rusted underneath. Maybe walking it off in slower, smaller steps with heat will work good.
    That's why I'm removing mine. Theres rust creeping out from under the edge on a couple of them. I'm guessing it's from people opening the door into things, which would make the metal edge rub through the paint.

Found the hole sam told me about. Oddly, mine had nothing through it and no grommet/ plug on it. All the wires that ran through that hole on sam's car run through a hole in the doorjamb on mine.

Does anyone know where I can get a 2 inch grommet?
    Also, I've been having problems finding ring terminals that are 8 AWG and can fit around the seat belt bolts (5/8?). Anyone know where I can get any?

I think Harbor Freight will have some grommets and ring terminals if ebay doesnt. Maybe best buy install department. You can go back to the install bay and buy stuff from there also.

Couldn't find a grommet big enough so I got a 2 inch stopper from ace hardware.

Also, does anyone know what a vacuum line? below the master cylinder is for? It goes through the firewall and is some kind of hard plastic. E-brake release?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.