my 86 FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, my 86 FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Looks like you have an awesome car already!!...
    MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: my 86 FWB 350 project ("hooptielac") thread

Looks like you have an awesome car already!!

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    How much?
    Also, you want the DoD pieces from that V864 eldo? Oddly, the yard left it when they crushed the cars in that row. Must not have enough off it yet.
    I'll check to see how much the yard want's. One thing though is it's hard to say if it will fit since your motor could be sitting farther back than the 90-92 brougham 350's since they probably used different motor mounts. It's worth a shot but to be 100 percent honest with you the fan shroud looks identicle to the 368/425 shrouds. Either way I can grab it for you if you're interested. I actually lucked out finding a v864 by me so I don't need parts any longer but thanks for the offer.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood472

I'll check to see how much the yard want's. One thing though is it's hard to say if it will fit since your motor could be sitting farther back than the 90-92 brougham 350's since they probably used different motor mounts. It's worth a shot but to be 100 percent honest with you the fan shroud looks identicle to the 368/425 shrouds. Either way I can grab it for you if you're interested. I actually lucked out finding a v864 by me so I don't need parts any longer but thanks for the offer.
    There is a 425 coupe here. I'll have to take a look

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

I wanna say the shrouds are different. The SBC shrouds stick out pretty far while the BBC shroud sits back pretty far. I could be wrong though. I'll have to check, I have both in the garage. I also think the openings for the fans are different sizes. I ran into the problem of finding a fan that fit into my 425 fan shroud. I'll take a look tonight or tomorrow morning.

I stripped and resanded the wood for the console yesterday. Only cost me an afternoon and an extra 20 for 80, 120, and 220 grit mouse pads. Monday or Tuesday I'll try staining it the normal way (no more polyshades for me...ever).
    I picked out minwax red sedona (brown with a hint of red) for the stain. It should look pretty nice.
    I gotta thank talismandave for giving me some good advice on stains and a few tips/ tricks when using the stain.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

CSBuckin let me know what you find. If they are different I can grab a shroud for kevin. Kevin, worst case scenario if you cant get it to line up right due to the motor sitting further back you could always try an electric fan if there is clearance. A lot of guys have retrofitted the Lincoln Mark VIII series fans to their cars and they are supposed to move a lot of air. That way you wont have to worry as much about the engine sitting too far back. ONce you find the info out let me know if you want me to grab that fan shroud for you.

restained my console (tried polyshades first and it didn't work so well)
    I went with sedona red color stain and helmsman to protect it

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Looks beautiful Kevin, did it come out as good on close up inspection?

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Looks beautiful Kevin, did it come out as good on close up inspection?
    yes. I am having issues with the helmsman curing (still tacky and glossy in spots as opposed to the matte parts where it has soaked in) but it looks pretty nice. no bubbles, no start/ stop lines, even coating, etc. Thanks for your help dave.
    btw, I did end up getting some stain on myself (on my arm when I flipped over the side panels to do the inside). good thing it wipes off.

more console progress

I'm putting in a switchplate here (for seat lumbar, TC lockup, and fog lamps) I'm also thinking about having the amp installed face up to show it off (its an old kenwood rack mount style amp from the early 80s)

also thinking about putting a cupholder here (but a practical one, not one made for super jumbo coffee cups)

The-Dullahan and The-Dullahan like this.

Thought I'd bump the thread.
    Scored pretty good at the junkyard today. They had set out a 1986 fleetwood brougham d'elegance that was black with black top, gold pinstriping, and tan leather d'elegance interior.
    Got a factory CB radio and surround in great shape, autodimming rear mirror, set of power mirrors with only 2 pinpoints of corrosion on pass mirror and perfect drivers mirror, rear d'elegance leather seat in great shape, 3 door panels with great wood switch panels and perfect armrests, 3 factory reversable floor mats, all 4 door rocker chrome pieces, drivers side rocker panel, and a great taillight. I also got some pieces for my van and another radio and bezel for jon in canada.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    Wow. Not sure how I missed these updates. Hardly looks like the same console anymore.

That Miracle Whip really brought it back.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

^^^Good one!!!
    csbuckn and csbuckn like this.

The-Dullahan is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Orange And Purple Lights.

I try.

Seriously though, I can't wait to...you know...actually see the Interior in this car all put together. Saw your new seats on the Face Books. Looking sharp.

I actually found what may well have been one of the most immaculate Broughams I have ever seen at a junkyard on my last trip (and got Power Mirrors). It must have had wire wheels, as someone set all the seated chrome lugnuts neatly on the rear seat. Someone else set the hood neatly on the roof, actually laying a tarp beneath it to protect the vinyl, as they had clearly taken the engine (which was probably immaculate, given the condition of the engine bay. I made sure to neatly place every piece I removed in an obvious location, as to not have the Junkyard employees throw it out when they find it on the ground. The burgundy leather seats were absolutely divine but sadly, some a**hole had taken a razor and cut the wreath out of the passenger side seat and without both seats, the Driver's side seat was useless to me. Otherwise, I'd have Leather seats by now.

Maybe if I cet all the good options someday, I can call my car a Crown Sovereign D'Elegance.

Even better, can I add a "V" at the end if I ever find those motor mounts and swap the engine?

Likewise, does your 350 make your car a Hooptielac V?

new rear seat

dave recommended skinning the d"elegance front seats and getting the centers of my bravada buckets button tufted. I'm still mixed on that idea.
    (in case anyone forgot whaat bravada buckets look like)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.