LOW MILEAGE 1979 Coupe deVille - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, LOW MILEAGE 1979 Coupe deVille in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; WOW,just WOW! Absolutely amazing. I would (if I were in your shoes) have to look into finding a museum or ...
    talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: LOW MILEAGE 1979 Coupe deVille

WOW,just WOW!

Absolutely amazing. I would (if I were in your shoes) have to look into finding a museum or a couple of museums that might be interested in a temporary loan of the car. That would be the only way I could keep from putting too many miles on it. If you could find such an arrangement with a couple of museums for a year long loan, you could get some time with it in between and then tuck it in safely again.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TimeCapsuleDeVille View Post
    Regarding the tires... I kept two of the originals. The others were so dry rotted that they held air for only a short time before a blowout occurred while the car was sitting in my garage. I can vouch for the mileage 100%... and if you were to see / smell / drive the Caddy, you would have zero doubt, regardless of tire accuracy.
    That's to be expected... Tires and other rubber components need to be kept in a very particular way to prevent deterioration.

When the tires have been replaced, I look at other items that don't get replaced frequently, such as windshield wipers, headlights, air filters, or suspension parts.

TimeCapsuleDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe deVille
    As you can imagine, it has been difficult to determine the actual value of this car. One dealer suggested insuring her at $12,500. What are the thoughts of other Caddy owners here? Is that an accurate appraisal? Locally I have heard estimates ranging from $8k to $30k... How is value calculated when a fairly commonplace 30+ year-old vehicle exhibits such extraordinarily low mileage? Thanks again for your input.

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

It's a unique car. They don't pop up like this every day. How does the car look underneath - is there surface rust? Remember, the car has super low mileage but it was also stored by a person who was hardly a car collector and in a garage that wasn't climate controlled, which is probably why the fillers distintegrated. It is hard to put a value on the car because the market is soft in general although low mileage always gets folks excited, plus it is a coupe, although not particularly highly optioned, but people will still get romantic about it.

I think the car would need to be in 100% concours condition with everything in proper order to get anywhere near the top of the high range you suggest. Ebay will help you quickly determine interest in the car and at what point people are willing to separate themselves from how much of their money for the pleasure of owning the car. My gut feel is you could get lucky in its current condition in the $10-20k range.

Good luck!

You would bring a lot more at an auction than private sale (but you have to pay a commission to the auction house). Either way, I would say between $10,000 and $15,000 would be your take from the sale.

I would list it on eBay, to get the most exposure, and put the reserve at about $12,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Bro-Ham
    ...How does the car look underneath - is there surface rust? Remember, the car has super low mileage but it was also stored by a person who was hardly a car collector and in a garage that wasn't climate controlled, which is probably why the fillers distintegrated...

...I think the car would need to be in 100% concours condition with everything in proper order...
    I should also mention there is absolutely ZERO rust on this car anywhere. Over the next few days, I will try to post some photos of the undercarriage, which is clean enough to eat from.

As I said in my original post, I'm astonished by how well preserved this car is, front-to-back and top-to-bottom. I'm continually surprised by the completely unmolested state of this vehicle. My great aunt & uncle may not have been collectors, so to speak, but they certainly knew a thing or three about taking care of the things they valued and worked hard to obtain.

Thus, truly 100% concours is actually not far from where the car is right now. In fact, the only departure from stock parts have been more modern tires, plug wires, and oil filter.

I have strongly considered purchasing the replacement ABS plastic rear body filler kit, but admittedly wonder how that might be viewed with regard to originality, preservation, etc.

What's wrong with the fillers? Aside from a little fading, they look to be in perfect condition.

Quote Originally Posted by sven914
    What's wrong with the fillers? Aside from a little fading, they look to be in perfect condition.
    They split, cracked, and fell to pieces. Every time the car sees sunlight now it seems another crack appears or a chunk of rubber or plastic or whatever substandard material they were made of falls off.

I'd love to replace them but fear compromising the "originality". Aside from these pieces, however, she's a clean, pristine machine.

For what it's worth, the front fillers are immaculate.

They are made of vinyl...

Replacing the damaged ones won't take away from the originality of the car, especially being that a buyer will want everything to be immaculate. You do need to be careful about getting aftermarket fillers, as some do not fit correctly and they are not made from the same material as the originals. You may be able to find good original fillers in a junkyard, or you can post a query in the parts wanted sticky to see if anyone here has a set.

USA Part's Supply is a distributor of New Old Stock and GM licensed reproduction Cadillac parts. I've never purchased fillers from them, so don't know how good they are, but they should be pretty close to the originals.

http://www.usapartssupply.com/upload...ac_Catalog.pdf

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Wow, does that take me back. My dad bought the 78 Coupe I have now new in 1978, and I remember the first day he drove it home from the dealership. Normally, I would go with him to look at cars he was going to buy, but for some reason he chose the one he bought without me or my mom. Seeing a bright white, white top and red leather interior Coupe come up the street and settle in our driveway is a memory that is still fresh today. Enjoy your very unusual find, and if you choose to keep it, there are many nice folks here to help you out if you need any parts or advice to keep her looking and driving like she has 550 miles on her!

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

I would not drive that car anywhere until the brake hoses and rear wheel cylinders were replaced. Its hard to get people to replace brake fluid at 3 year intervals as it is, let alone 20 years! Brake fluid is hygroscopic by nature and will pull in moisture and corrode, rust wheel cylinders, delaminate hoses and seals in the master cylinder. Check an issue of OLD CARS WEEKLY to get an approximation of worth. I doubt its value will change whether it has 600 or 1500 miles, so have a shop change those items, then drive it to shows, whatever. This is a car not a painting so use it which is the best thing you can do to keep it from deteriorating. Make a decision, keep the car as an heirloom or sell it and take a cruise! And yes, replace the rear fillers and keep the remnants to show eventually to a buyer. This friend that helped to buy the car, what does he have to gain from the purchase? Does he hope to see it sold to realize a profit soon or enjoy equal use and be eventually sold?

Quote Originally Posted by carnut
    This friend that helped to buy the car, what does he have to gain from the purchase? Does he hope to see it sold to realize a profit soon or enjoy equal use and be eventually sold?
    Honestly, right now both of us are leaning toward keeping the car... and perhaps allowing ourselves a couple hundred miles per year of use between us.

Each of us seem to be enjoying the novelty of owning a time machine.

We keep saying to each other, "This is a really nice car, man... I think we should keep her."

We get together to tinker witb the Caddy occasionally, and we'll likely drive her a bit more in the future.

Meanwhile, she sits sleeping in my basement as I have more appropriate indoor storage space.

Thanks for the tip on brake parts, too. We have driven her 48 miles on the old parts with no problems whatsoever. Still, I now believe a full hose and fluid go-through is in her immediate future. :-)

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

You are pretty enthusiastic about this car, I would keep it. Personally I would drive the hell out of it.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Get a good used set of fillers, take them to a body shop, and have them painted, then install on the car. It will be no problem for a shop to match the paint. I did this recently for my mother's 84 with original paint, and the fillers look great. I have yet to hear of someone that has been happy with aftermarket fillers.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The original fillers were made with urethane. Over time they dry and crack. Strange thing is that some deteriorate at different rates than others. The original urethane fillers were great, as long as they remained pliable. For a 5 mph impact they would return to shape. True that the fiberglass and ABS plastic replacements will work as replacemants, but they will never match the resiliency of the original urethane fillers. With a little research, I have found that some of the manequins used for displaying clothes in department stores are made of urethane. I know little about the curing and injection molding of urethane. I do have possible access to people who could make the molds. The main question would be. would people be willing to pay the cost to cover the expense of developing the molds and operating the the injection machines to produce the fillers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.