94 fleetwood idle prob.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 94 fleetwood idle prob. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 94' fleetwood brougham with the 5.7 with the performance chip. Also, all pollution control has been removed. ...
    slayu2day is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 fleetwood

Exclamation 94 fleetwood idle prob.

I have a 94' fleetwood brougham with the 5.7 with the performance chip. Also, all pollution control has been removed. Dual exhaust with blow-through cats. Aftermarket computer to run it stripped down like it is. Its been trouble free for the last year or so, but sometimes it just dies at idle or no excelleration like if pulling into a gas station. I can tell when its going to do this by the way the idle seems low. If I'm running the a/c, the fan will also slow when pulling up to a stop. I have 3 guages on the 'A' pillar. Water temp, fuel pressure and air/fuel mixture. The air/fuel mixture leans out alittle along with fuel pressure drops a couple lbs. If the car stalls, it starts right back up on a dime, but may continue to act this way. But most of the time the car is great with no stalling. I would like some other opinions on what this could be. I am thinking maybe fuel filter ... or maybe the pump. But the car never boggs at any excelleration or start-up .. so I'm not sure if its a fuel issue or maybe the chip or cpu.
    smallercaddy.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: 94 fleetwood idle prob.

Tell us about this "performance chip".

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Tell us about this "performance chip".
    And the "aftermarket computer". Seems to be a contradiction in terms.

Irrespective of what you're using for engine management, if it ran fine before and doesn't now then something has changed or failed.

The A/F "gauges" really aren't very accurate - they'll change with fluctuating voltage. But, if your FP is dropping as well, and your fan(s) are slowing down, you may be having an intermittent electrical problem. I'd make sure your battery terminals are clean and connections are tight.

Heres a performance chip description from autochips direct.

Our Cadillac Fleetwood Performance Chip utilizes the latest in performance technologiy. PowerBOX Chips send a unique modified signal through an engine data sensor. This signal causes your factory Engine Control Module to reprogram itself for a more efficient air/fuel ratio and timing curve. By doing so, we're able to safely unlock up to +75 Horsepower and up to +8 MPG in your vehicle!
    Our modules never bypass, deactive, or exceed factory limitations. That being said, this is perhaps one of the safest upgrades you can do to your vehicle!

Lol, all that is is a resistor that confuses the PCM due to a revised output from the MAF. Get that crap off your car, and it will probably run fine.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

I'm siding in here with tubrojimmy when he says you might have a electical problem... I'm going to bet that when you are having your problem your voltage to the computer is dropping..A bad connection or a short could do this.. this is what i would look for..I think you can get the voltage off the dash CCU .. anyone know the right window to look at?

Are you saying all mod chips are the same way ? Even diesel chips ? Because I have seen major improvments in cars and trucks, ( performence and power), when they have put a chip in. I do not know what kind or model or anything about the chip in my caddy. I bought it with it already installed. Also has a huge cold air intake tube and filter sucking good cool air. That description of the chip I posted was just a random internet store description.
    Most of the time its just fine, and its faster than almost everyone expects it to be. The 373 gears in the rear-end help with that. LOL No lights dim when it idles low, no dash lights dim, only the fan will slow up some.
    I agree it could be something electrical, because remember, alot of electrical stuff has been removed under the hood. Its pretty bare bones under there.
    So I'll keep troubleshooting this issue, but it only does its stall-low idle crap occationaly. It can go months with no issue, but then 3 times in one week. So it will be tough to track down.

No, not all mod chips. Just the LT1 "chip". It isn't a chip. It's useless. Trust me. Show us a picture of this "chip". If you think it is in the computer, I'm sorry, but someone gave you a load of BS. The PCM (computer) doesn't use "chips". It has programmable flash memory. You said you have a performance computer. What's in the tune? Who did it? Step one: remove your "chip" (if you even have one, look on the MAF connnector, but I suspect that you were told bogus info and you don't actually have a "chip") Step two: find out what's the tune in your PCM (what was changed: timing, shift points, fuel tables, etc, etc)

There are two different computers under the hood. They are pretty big each. There is also one in the trunk for the body roll and leveling. One thing, the guy I bought it from is a gearhead. He builds engines for big rock crawler trucks, he also does cars. He really does know quite abit about wrenching.
    I will post a pic of the ones under the hood probly sometime today, Monday. And its not a performance cpu, its one that will run the car without pollution control crap. But I don't know why there is two of them.
    I am more of a mechanical side of working and building cars. So this electrical stuff is kinda new to me. I appreciate the help.

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Did you pull the coil wire off the coil yet? I've seen a few that have rusted/corroded coil wires.

The one computer under the hood is the one under your air filter. That is the PCM (powertrain control module). That's the only computer up there. The one in the trunk is the BCM (body control module), but it has nothing to do with body roll and level. This is what the PCM looks like. It will have four wire connections on it.

turbojimmy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk

I think whoever gave you the info about the "computers" was a bit confused. Cars equipped with Stabilitrac had a yaw/accelerometer mounted in the back, but the Fleetwoods never had that option.

rocketvette95 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 Cadillac Seville STS with FE3,F55

I will tell you that on my 1994 FWB,after I installed the new Opti,and a new water pump, I had a idle issue. Sometimes it was fine and then sometimes when you would pull up to a stop sign,the car felt as if it was running at 4000 rpm's and felt as if it was going to shut off. After installing two new O2 sensors,no more problems,and MAN what a differance in fuel mileage. Totally differant car.
    Just a thought

yea I have that pcm with the 4 plug-ins, and I was mistaken, theres only one unit there, looked like 2 because it doesn't have that metal shrowd. But on mine, I have the big cold air tube running down by front left. All that black plastic is removed from top of my motor. So the pcm is on the left front inner fender. I am sorry I keep forgetting to get a photo of under hood, but I changed my fuel filter and my fuel pressure came back up , but occationaly getting low idle, but if I drive it on the highway a few miles, the idle issue clears up. Do you think that mod chip or card is in the pcm ?

I think the guy that sold it to you gave you a line of BS. No "mod chip". Perhaps the PCM is reprogrammed, but there isn't another chip (unless you have the mod to the MAF that is useless, check your MAF connection).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.