Car & Driver vintage review: 1978 Coupe deVille. (link to photoset)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Car & Driver vintage review: 1978 Coupe deVille. (link to photoset) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've had this article sitting around for a few years, always meant to share it and finally got around to ...
    Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Car & Driver vintage review: 1978 Coupe deVille. (link to photoset)

I've had this article sitting around for a few years, always meant to share it and finally got around to it. Figured I'd post a link here so that like-minded Caddy lovers could enjoy it. It's a great read, talks a lot about the stigma Cadillac had at the time (which is still surprisingly relevant, sadly). They actually loved the car! Link is to the photo set on my Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cadilla...896734/detail/

Enjoy!
    -Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Re: Car & Driver vintage review: 1978 Coupe deVille. (link to photoset)

Wow-thanks for taking the time to post the photos. Since I have a 78 Coupe, it sure was fun reading the article. I still remember the day my Dad drove what it now my 78 Coupe home new from the dealer. It's the only brand new Cadillac he ever bought, but what a nice car.

is
    Benzilla and Benzilla like this.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Love the first paragraph. It's so true! And, the last comment in the Counterpoint section was a kick to see, since I have a copy of the magazine the article it refers to was published in (Road Test, March 1977 issue).

Thanks for posting this, Ben!

Bro-Ham is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1979 Cadillac Sedan deVille d'Elegance

David E. Davis Jr. was a master writer. Excellent article about an excellent vintage of, what wasn't known at the time, the last of the best of true real Cadillacs.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Hey, Ben, your inbox is full.

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Sorry! Fixed it.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Great article, thanks for sharing it with us. David E. Davis Jr. was a master of automotive prose. Reading it reminded me of how much I miss him and the big, great Cadillac cars. We are lucky to have his writing, and our cars, to live on.

nooyawk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

i have seen a 78 caddy deville d'elegance listed in my area with 14000miles, yes. FOURTEEN. can this POSSIBLY be true? or likely a rollback. pics of interior look immaculate. body needs a paint job as factory job didnt hold up. thoughts? (im an adult but my mom is giving me a hard time about the no airbags. i drive safe-despite so many idiots on the road...id feel fine in this car i think. I just hope her complaining wouldnt be the death of me!!! lol.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by nooyawk View Post
    i have seen a 78 caddy deville d'elegance listed in my area with 14000miles, yes. FOURTEEN. can this POSSIBLY be true? or likely a rollback. pics of interior look immaculate. body needs a paint job as factory job didnt hold up. thoughts? (im an adult but my mom is giving me a hard time about the no airbags. i drive safe-despite so many idiots on the road...id feel fine in this car i think. I just hope her complaining wouldnt be the death of me!!! lol.
    You should start a new thread instead of jumping on another thread.

That being said, it probably has 114k if the paint is shot. The odometers only go up to 99,999 miles, so if it reads 14xxx, it has probably rolled over. As for airbags? You don't need them in these cars. They're perfectly safe.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The front seat upholstery and the driver's arm rest will tell more about the actual mileage than the odometer.
    77CDV likes this.

CBodyFan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

The article doesn't seem all complementary to me. Less harsh than most Car & Driver articles, perhaps, but hardly a glowing testimonial. To compare a 1978 Cadillac to a Jaguar or BMW, which at the time were junk, is absurd. Opera lamps, twilight sentinel, white walls, cruise control, all bad. Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by CBodyFan View Post
    The article doesn't seem all complementary to me. Less harsh than most Car & Driver articles, perhaps, but hardly a glowing testimonial. To compare a 1978 Cadillac to a Jaguar or BMW, which at the time were junk, is absurd. Opera lamps, twilight sentinel, white walls, cruise control, all bad. Typical.
    I think the first car manufacturer to bring back whitewall tires and some variation of opera lamps on a really cool and truly confident new luxury car will hit the jackpot! My friend has a fancy brand new Harley Davidson which has whitewall tires and it is classic in design, it is incredible! Cadillac keeps chasing MercedMW except with thier tortured styling of the last decade tacked on that they seem too proud to let go of. I feel they will forever trail the market superiority (I hope) they seek. Cadillac has such a rich history and even the over the top luxuries of the 70's evolved into a design of today would be so unique that I don't think an optimistic American market could resist.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

It will take many, many years to correct the damage Car and Driver has done to the automotive styling world by pushing the austere Teutonic look of the 70's as a norm to be desired.

The Germans could do it and make great German car icons, the American manufactures never could get it right and merely lost all the aesthetic that had made their cars unique.
    77CDV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    It will take many, many years to correct the damage Car and Driver has done to the automotive styling world by pushing the austere Teutonic look of the 70's as a norm to be desired.

The Germans could do it and make great German car icons, the American manufactures never could get it right and merely lost all the aesthetic that had made their cars unique.
    C&D certainly talked down the whole American car industry. Now we are left with decades of unimaginative blandness. No wonder I cancelled my subscription back in the 80's. The time is ripe for a renaissance, American cars can take over if they go back to their roots. Applying tacked on supposed American car styling cues on austere european based cars is not ever going to create lusty dreams and desires from car buyers. I have said it before - I hope an American car company breaks the mold and not some runaway hit from India or Korea...
    talismandave likes this.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

Silly and excessive gadgets? I wonder what he thinks of modern luxury cars

"The big motor responds with an authoritative howl when you orange-alert the fuel monitor with the throttle"
    That's the best use I've found for the fuel monitor. I love it!

My favorite is one author's description of driving a pre-1977 Cadillac:
    "You didn't steer the thing, you gave orders to the helm. And for more or less speed, you rang down for more steam. Damn the Datsuns! Full speed ahead!"

Thanks for sharing this article. I enjoyed reading it.
    77CDV likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.