Just got another Brougham, 88 5.0, need help with vacuum sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Just got another Brougham, 88 5.0, need help with vacuum sensor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; New here, just got my second Brougham, it's an 88 with 65k original miles. I traded a 92 Honda Prelude ...
    Brough is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham

Just got another Brougham, 88 5.0, need help with vacuum sensor

New here, just got my second Brougham, it's an 88 with 65k original miles. I traded a 92 Honda Prelude with 200k even for it. Got it from a kid who just inherited it from his Grandfather.
    Anyhow the thing is gutless so I'm going through it looking for the low hanging fruit. With the miles that low I'm sure it will be easy to wake up (as awake as a 307 can be in a land yacht).

Anywho to my question(s), I found a couple vacuum hoses off that were easy to track down where they go. One sensor however appears to be missing a hose I can't find and I have no idea what the sensor is to track it down in the diagram (see picture). Can anyone tell me what this is or what it should be hooked to?

Next question, which is more a request for confirmation, It never ceases to amaze me what an automotive engineers thinks is a good idea, any mechanic can tell is a reliability nightmare. I'm pretty sure the butterfly between the drivers side exhaust manifold and the downpipe isn't opening (see image, please ignore my failed attempt at wiring it open). What I have found on this is it is an emissions / warm up device. I call it an engineers brain fart asking for trouble. I'm going to wire this open for now and cap off the vacuum line in case the diaphragm is leaking. If I ever have the exhaust off I'll remove it later. Thoughts?

One last question, where the &%$# is the MAP sensor?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Just got another Brougham, 88 5.0, need help with vacuum sensor

Just to clarify the sensor in question is the third picture. I believe it to be a sensor because I don't see how it can perform any valve action the way it connects to vacuum.

100_1754.JPG
    Attached Images

Sorry just trying to figure this board out. Isn't there any way to delete stuff?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Brough
    Sorry just trying to figure this board out. Isn't there any way to delete stuff?
    Nope, just to edit it out.

OK found the MAP sensor, it's got a tiny plastic line going to it on the right inner fender, so no obvious vacuum lines. Still wondering what the mystery sensor is.

Got the left side exhaust butterfly valve deleted.

Running better still quite nutless. Noticed no trans down shift on WOT, going to look for issues with the downshift linkage.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

No downshift on WOT likely means TV cable out of whack. Google how to adjust it. The procedure was posted recently on here, too. It's really simple.

If you want to really improve the performance of the motor (and short of having a professional engine rebuilder rework the whole motor for $$$$$$), you'll have to redo the top of the motor. Change the 7A heads to 5A ones from a 1982-85 307 (+10 hp), get a new cam (equal to or slightly more aggressive than the HO/442 grind (+20 hp), change the intake to one from a 403 (+10? Hp), rejet the carb and remove the 60% stop on the secondaries, bump the timing 2 degrees, and intall a dual exhaust system. And what kind of power will you get for all this work, you may ask? 230 or so hp and maybe 300 ft/ lbs of torque if you're lucky.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

lol, starting with a correct downshift from OD to 2nd on WOT will make him think he installed a 500.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool
    lol, starting with a correct downshift from OD to 2nd on WOT will make him think he installed a 500.
    Yeah I kinda forgot the important part...get it running to factory specs...then hot rod it.

Thanks guys. Yeah like I said, low hanging fruit first! After getting rid of all the vacuum leaks and putting the AC belt back on (the previous kid owner cut it probably thinking it was hurting economy or making it not run right), the CE light went out (YAY) and the AC blows cold. The vent wont switch from heat to vent or defrost however. Seems I had the same problem with my last brougham and it was just a vacuum issue, the climate control flaps are vacuum operated right? Hopefully just stuck from previous insufficient vacuum or I need to find another vacuum leak or plugged line.

Looking for a diagram for the TV cable, I have a Hanes manual (POS) and a slightly better Chiltons.

Did this thing come from the factory with a smog pump? Might solve the sensor mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Brough
    Did this thing come from the factory with a smog pump? Might solve the sensor mystery.
    Yes. Its on the passenger side under the AC compressor.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.