Just got another Brougham, 88 5.0, need help with vacuum sensor - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Just got another Brougham, 88 5.0, need help with vacuum sensor in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ah someone deleted it....
    Brough is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1988 Brougham

Re: Just got another Brougham, 88 5.0, need help with vacuum sensor

Ah someone deleted it.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Brough View Post
    Looking for a diagram for the TV cable, I have a Hanes manual (POS) and a slightly better Chiltons.
    I'd toss those cheap manuals in the back of the bookcase and grab one from here. The are some great buys here.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

Wow thanks Dennis! I found them on Helminc.com and searched ebay but must have used the wrong keywords. There's a service manual on there with a $4.99 bid!

Anywho, found the vacuum line to the climate control, unhooked apparently by some dumba$$ as there was no sign of the associated hose anywhere, and hooked it to the mystery sensor in the pictures and VOILA! Climate control extraordinaire. A) People who are clueless should not try to work on cars, I know it's how we all learned, and yeah I probably screwed up a few as a kid too... B) I'm sure someone said it would cost a fortune for a climate control module and the possibility of dash removal.

I adjusted the TV cable and got the thing to downshift, an improvement but need to see if the pedal is giving WOT at the butterfly because it doesn't feel like it.

Looking for a right rear quarter panel to bumper filler as well (preferrably in white), found these on ebay but with shipping I could buy new for $20 more.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/110929641575...84.m1423.l2649

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Brough
    Wow thanks Dennis! I found them on Helminc.com and searched ebay but must have used the wrong keywords. There's a service manual on there with a $4.99 bid!

Anywho, found the vacuum line to the climate control, unhooked apparently by some dumba$$ as there was no sign of the associated hose anywhere, and hooked it to the mystery sensor in the pictures and VOILA! Climate control extraordinaire. A) People who are clueless should not try to work on cars, I know it's how we all learned, and yeah I probably screwed up a few as a kid too... B) I'm sure someone said it would cost a fortune for a climate control module and the possibility of dash removal.

I adjusted the TV cable and got the thing to downshift, an improvement but need to see if the pedal is giving WOT at the butterfly because it doesn't feel like it.
    If the motor gives a loud WHOOOM sound when you stomp on it while doing under 40 mph, the secondaires are opening (307s are very loud when you floor it)

Thanks Kevin. I can open the secondaries if I WOT at the carb but don't think I notice them opening properly from the cabin. Can the main throttle cable be adjusted? I've seen the carb adjust procedures posted and have them in my "cheap" manuals as well, might have to wait until the weekend to find time. Slowly picking things off though, still feeling she's solid. I drove it ~100 miles yesterday and have a strange occasional vibration to track down not tire related. I'll probably pack the bearings, check the u-joints and change the rear end oil this weekend.

This keeps getting better. I did not test drive last night after hooking the climate control vacuum back up. This morning I had to move it to get my motorcycle out of the garage, and noticed a hiss when in gear. Searching this issue I believe I have found why the guy said the parking brake wouldn't release, must be a vacuum issue with the release mechanism! I haven't looked to see what the issue could be, the brake light has been on too just haven't had time to track it down.

This keeps getting better. I did not test drive last night after hooking the climate control vacuum back up. This morning I had to move it to get my motorcycle out of the garage, and noticed a hiss when in gear. Searching this issue I believe I have found why the guy said the parking brake wouldn't release, must be a vacuum issue with the release mechanism! I haven't looked to see what the issue could be, the brake light has been on too just haven't had time to track it down.
    Pull the parking brake release. It might be engaged a notch. (Not enough to engage the brake but enough to trigger the light)
    Edit: never mind. I forgot these don't have parking brake releases. Its supposed to release when you put it in gear.

Thanks Kevin. The hissing noise went away on it's own, and the brake and vacuum release are working properly. The cable needs to be tightened however as I have to lift the pedal with my foot to get the brake light to go out, but it does go out. SO looks like the vacuum and cabin issues are squared away, back to it being nutless. The secondaries only crack if I pin the throttle pulley, and I'm not convinced I'm getting WOT with the pedal so a couple things to work on there regarding power. My CE light is back too so I need to read the codes. The kid I bought it from said he had the codes read and the O2 sensor came back, however I don't know what to believe from him because it appears he messed up a bunch of stuff he didn't tell me about.

Thanks Kevin. The hissing noise went away on it's own, and the brake and vacuum release are working properly. The cable needs to be tightened however as I have to lift the pedal with my foot to get the brake light to go out, but it does go out. SO looks like the vacuum and cabin issues are squared away, back to it being nutless. The secondaries only crack if I pin the throttle pulley, and I'm not convinced I'm getting WOT with the pedal so a couple things to work on there regarding power. My CE light is back too so I need to read the codes. The kid I bought it from said he had the codes read and the O2 sensor came back, however I don't know what to believe from him because it appears he messed up a bunch of stuff he didn't tell me about.
    Do you know how to pull codes?

Assuming it's just like every other similar vintage GM vehicle with a diag connector jumper and CE flashes. I can google the codes.

Holy crap, never got so many codes. Hoping some of them are archival and will go away once I reset. 12, 15, 21, 34, 44, 45, the last two are a contradiction, Lean and rich O2 sensor. The kid did say he was amazed how many sensors were on the thing, he might have thrown codes while he was messing with it, hoping some go away with a reset.

Reset and thorough flogging test drive and down to first three codes. Experience tells me if more than one sensor is throwing codes look for electrical issues first, test sensors second. It did seem to have more nut after resetting the computer but it might have been mental. I don't know what the computer could be messing with on a carb model anyway (besides timing, which could mean everything) but what do I know?

Reset and thorough flogging test drive and down to first three codes. Experience tells me if more than one sensor is throwing codes look for electrical issues first, test sensors second. It did seem to have more nut after resetting the computer but it might have been mental. I don't know what the computer could be messing with on a carb model anyway (besides timing, which could mean everything) but what do I know?
    The computer controls timing and fuel mixture.

You might have a vacuum leak or improperly routed vacuum lines (especially since the previous owner was messing with (up) the engine bay.)

Changed out a bunch of vacuum lines and learned what the heat riser valve does, I still don't have any heartache over eliminating it. I did wire it backwards (closed) which couldn't have been helping (duh), turns out they fail open. If I ever have the exhasut out I might replace it and make it right. Douched the top of the motor pretty good. Going to pull the codes again and du some diagnostic on the asociated sensors, after I verify alll the connectors are tight on the ECM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.