Opera Light Conversion
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Opera Light Conversion in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; 87' Brougham D'Elegance - The idiot that replaced my vinyle top broke the lense on my opera light. I can't ...
    Dvunee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 87 Bro-Ham

Opera Light Conversion

87' Brougham D'Elegance - The idiot that replaced my vinyle top broke the lense on my opera light. I can't find a replacement lens or bezel but have found a website that sells an LED replacement kit. Has anybody actually installed or replaced the opera light and if so please suggest websites for purchase. I can't find a website that says this will fit my year make and model...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvunee
    87' Brougham D'Elegance - The idiot that replaced my vinyle top broke the lense on my opera light. I can't find a replacement lens or bezel but have found a website that sells an LED replacement kit. Has anybody actually installed or replaced the opera light and if so please suggest websites for purchase. I can't find a website that says this will fit my year make and model...
    Well, first I'd make him pay for new lamps if he broke yours.
    Also, there are no reproduction opera lamps or off the shelf LED replacements for them. Someone on the forum (many years ago) did mod them to use LEDs, but they did not look stock.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Re: Opera Light Conversion

On my 81 Brougham I had the 110 v strip lights that went south, so rather than try to find or repair that type I found the earlier version that was a 12v bulb. The foot print on the vinyl roof was the same and the 110v system had a 12v lead at the opera location as well as 110v so I just used the 12v to feed the replacement lamps and all was good. The 110v lite was all plastic and the replacement I found was all chromed metal so the change was better than original. I just can't remember what year they were from.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by SafariOne
    On my 81 Brougham I had the 110 v strip lights that went south, so rather than try to find or repair that type I found the earlier version that was a 12v bulb. The foot print on the vinyl roof was the same and the 110v system had a 12v lead at the opera location as well as 110v so I just used the 12v to feed the replacement lamps and all was good. The 110v lite was all plastic and the replacement I found was all chromed metal so the change was better than original. I just can't remember what year they were from.
    Were those the lights that were on the C pillar?

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

^If it was on a coupe... The opera lights on a Brougham sedan can't be converted to bulbs because there isn't any room in the B-pillar.

Replacement lenses sometimes come up on eBay, but you need to be careful because most of them are for the C-pillar and will not work. If you can't find any online, try looking in junkyards or post a query in the parts wanted sticky (someone here probably has an extra set).

carnut is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

My 84 Sedan has chrome metal opera lights with 12 volt bulbs.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

There you go all is right as rain. Yes mine was on the Coupe as well.

Dvunee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 87 Bro-Ham

I just ordered a set of opera lights from this website. They offer a non-LED version but I went with LED. Foot print on my 4 door pillar was 14/16" wide from molding to molding and they have a bunch of options that should cover the old lights foot print. I will post picture when finished.

http://www.mtgparts.com/opera-lights/

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by carnut View Post
    My 84 Sedan has chrome metal opera lights with 12 volt bulbs.
    Aren't the opera lights mounted on the C-pillar, on a Sedan de Ville? The Brougham has them mounted on the B-pillar (between the doors), and there is not way to fit bulbs behind them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.