86 d'elegance project
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 86 d'elegance project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im new to this forum so I hope this is the right spot, lol. I've been working on my caddy ...
    Beast3636 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1986 fleetwood brougham delegance

86 d'elegance project

Im new to this forum so I hope this is the right spot, lol.

I've been working on my caddy for about a year. We yanked the 307 and have a rebuilt Chevy 350 going in. Figured I'd go ahead and replace the 200r4 while I'm at it(you know....good measures) I haven't taken the 200 out yet but plan to this week. The 350 has a 6 in tail shaft. My question is will I need to replace the drive shaft or will it work? Thanks for any help with my project.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast3636
    Im new to this forum so I hope this is the right spot, lol.

I've been working on my caddy for about a year. We yanked the 307 and have a rebuilt Chevy 350 going in. Figured I'd go ahead and replace the 200r4 while I'm at it(you know....good measures) I haven't taken the 200 out yet but plan to this week. The 350 has a 6 in tail shaft. My question is will I need to replace the drive shaft or will it work? Thanks for any help with my project.
    You'll have to install the trans, then measue the length from the tailshaft to the rear end.
    You will most likely need to have the driveshaft modified.
    I just put a 350 and built 200r4 in my 86 fleetwood brougham.
    My driveshaft was approx 2 inches too long, so I had it cut down. Expect to pay 150 -180 to get your driveshaft cut down.

Re: 86 d'elegance project

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    You'll have to install the trans, then measue the length from the tailshaft to the rear end.
    You will most likely need to have the driveshaft modified.
    I just put a 350 and built 200r4 in my 86 fleetwood brougham.
    My driveshaft was approx 2 inches too long, so I had it cut down. Expect to pay 150 -180 to get your driveshaft cut down.
    Factory 200r4 is still in and 350 Chevy bolted right up in mine. Why did yours have to be modified? Just curious..

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Quote Originally Posted by Beast3636 View Post
    Factory 200r4 is still in and 350 Chevy bolted right up in mine. Why did yours have to be modified? Just curious..
    I agree. If using the same 200R4 the driveshaft should not have been shortened. Was the rear changed or did they somehow use a different 200R4 with a longer tailshaft? The 200R4 transmissions in those cars had a bellhousing that was cast for both BOP and chevy. That's strange.

Beast3636,
    If you go though with the 350 try finding a 90-92 Brougham in the salvage yard with a chevy 350 or 305 they should have the exact engine mounts that you would need for the swap. I'd grab the fan and fan shroud too while I was at it. One other option that might be better and get you some more power would be swapping in an oldsmobile 403. It would bolt right up in place of the 307. Those motors were pretty quick and got great gas mileage. A buddy of mine had a 79 Buick Electra with that motor and would smoke my 78 fleetwood with a cadillac 425 like it was nothing. To top it off he even got better gas mileage.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Hey Cadillac Kevin,

How's the car coming a long? That was a good idea getting the 200R4 built up. That way you get to keep the overdrive which is definitely nice for cruising.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood472 View Post
    I agree. If using the same 200R4 the driveshaft should not have been shortened. Was the rear changed or did they somehow use a different 200R4 with a longer tailshaft? The 200R4 transmissions in those cars had a bellhousing that was cast for both BOP and chevy. That's strange.

Beast3636,
    If you go though with the 350 try finding a 90-92 Brougham in the salvage yard with a chevy 350 or 305 they should have the exact engine mounts that you would need for the swap. I'd grab the fan and fan shroud too while I was at it. One other option that might be better and get you some more power would be swapping in an oldsmobile 403. It would bolt right up in place of the 307. Those motors were pretty quick and got great gas mileage. A buddy of mine had a 79 Buick Electra with that motor and would smoke my 78 fleetwood with a cadillac 425 like it was nothing. To top it off he even got better gas mileage.

Thanks for the knowledge fleet, but I'm point of no return with the 350, the tranny swap is a last minute thing that just presented itself lol. I just would like to know if the factory driveshaft is gonna work with the 350 turbo, before I try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleetwood472
    Hey Cadillac Kevin,

How's the car coming a long? That was a good idea getting the 200R4 built up. That way you get to keep the overdrive which is definitely nice for cruising.
    The 200r4 came from bowtie overdrives. I am keeping mine as a spare for my lesabre just in case.

As for my caddy....
    I need to get the distributor installed, accessories back on the engine, spark plug heat shield boots, and some other misc. (hoses, etc) and it will be ready to fire. After that, I will need to install the exhaust system.

As for why the driveshaft was shortened, my guess it the position of the 350 moved the 200r4 back a little shy of 2 inches.

Quick update, got the tranny out, and looks good to fit with factory driveshaft

Hey Kevin did you go with the olds or Chevy block?

Quick update, got the tranny out, and looks good to fit with factory driveshaft

Hey Kevin did you go with the olds or Chevy block?
    Chevy 350

Just a quick update for anyone who may stumble on this thread, with the same issues.

350 turbo will work with the 86 brougham without changing the driveshaft but you will need to modify the crossmember as the 200r4 mounts are different from the 350. It's a simple mod just unbolt the crossmember and tap a few new holes.

Kevin I can't figure out for the life of me why you had to mod your driveshaft. My block went straight in with some basic 350 mounts. Only clearance issues I had was driverside header. Had to move a brake valve and switch to cable shifter.

Just a quick update for anyone who may stumble on this thread, with the same issues.

350 turbo will work with the 86 brougham without changing the driveshaft but you will need to modify the crossmember as the 200r4 mounts are different from the 350. It's a simple mod just unbolt the crossmember and tap a few new holes.

Kevin I can't figure out for the life of me why you had to mod your driveshaft. My block went straight in with some basic 350 mounts. Only clearance issues I had was driverside header. Had to move a brake valve and switch to cable shifter.
    Maybe it was the mounts? My motor had truck mounts for mounting it to the frame. It is bolted into the factory holes though (not welded). The motor is where the motor is in a 90-92 brougham, as well as delta 88s, etc. that got chevy motors back in the 80s. It has made for alot of minor alterations though (fan shroud, trans cooler lines, throttle cable (IIRC) and kickdown, power steering lines.)
    I used flowtech afterburner longtubes and they fit without alterations. Cleared the frame, brake lines, etc no problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.