Cadillac Owners Forum banner

86 d'elegance project

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  cadillac kevin 
#1 ·
Im new to this forum so I hope this is the right spot, lol.

I've been working on my caddy for about a year. We yanked the 307 and have a rebuilt Chevy 350 going in. Figured I'd go ahead and replace the 200r4 while I'm at it(you know....good measures) I haven't taken the 200 out yet but plan to this week. The 350 has a 6 in tail shaft. My question is will I need to replace the drive shaft or will it work? Thanks for any help with my project.

#2 ·
You'll have to install the trans, then measue the length from the tailshaft to the rear end.
You will most likely need to have the driveshaft modified.
I just put a 350 and built 200r4 in my 86 fleetwood brougham.
My driveshaft was approx 2 inches too long, so I had it cut down. Expect to pay 150 -180 to get your driveshaft cut down.

#7 ·
Fleetwood472 said:
Hey Cadillac Kevin,

How's the car coming a long? That was a good idea getting the 200R4 built up. That way you get to keep the overdrive which is definitely nice for cruising.
The 200r4 came from bowtie overdrives. I am keeping mine as a spare for my lesabre just in case.

As for my caddy....
I need to get the distributor installed, accessories back on the engine, spark plug heat shield boots, and some other misc. (hoses, etc) and it will be ready to fire. After that, I will need to install the exhaust system.

As for why the driveshaft was shortened, my guess it the position of the 350 moved the 200r4 back a little shy of 2 inches.

#10 ·
Just a quick update for anyone who may stumble on this thread, with the same issues.

350 turbo will work with the 86 brougham without changing the driveshaft but you will need to modify the crossmember as the 200r4 mounts are different from the 350. It's a simple mod just unbolt the crossmember and tap a few new holes.

Kevin I can't figure out for the life of me why you had to mod your driveshaft. My block went straight in with some basic 350 mounts. Only clearance issues I had was driverside header. Had to move a brake valve and switch to cable shifter.

#11 ·
Beast3636 said:
Just a quick update for anyone who may stumble on this thread, with the same issues.

350 turbo will work with the 86 brougham without changing the driveshaft but you will need to modify the crossmember as the 200r4 mounts are different from the 350. It's a simple mod just unbolt the crossmember and tap a few new holes.

Kevin I can't figure out for the life of me why you had to mod your driveshaft. My block went straight in with some basic 350 mounts. Only clearance issues I had was driverside header. Had to move a brake valve and switch to cable shifter.
Maybe it was the mounts? My motor had truck mounts for mounting it to the frame. It is bolted into the factory holes though (not welded). The motor is where the motor is in a 90-92 brougham, as well as delta 88s, etc. that got chevy motors back in the 80s. It has made for alot of minor alterations though (fan shroud, trans cooler lines, throttle cable (IIRC) and kickdown, power steering lines.)
I used flowtech afterburner longtubes and they fit without alterations. Cleared the frame, brake lines, etc no problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.