The truth about seating options
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, The truth about seating options in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Ok so I am finding it harder and harder to find seating options for my 77 Coupe Deville. I made ...
    rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The truth about seating options

Ok so I am finding it harder and harder to find seating options for my 77 Coupe Deville. I made the mistake of passing on a clean set of blue 93 Fleetwood seats because I like the metal running down the side of the factories. Big mistake because they were clean and cheap. Any way so I am at LKQ looking today and tried something out so take a look:

I put some 93 Caprice seats in a 94 STS and they fit and of course the Caprice seats fit in our cars. This did not work for newer Deville's because the front of the mounting area is raised. Also I took a pic of them on the ground over each other and they are almost an exact match.

Mounting the backs should be easy so the issue would be modding the front seats. I am going to look into this further because I have a feeling we have more options than most believe. Anyone here tried mounting any other seats from a newer Cadillac? What were your experiences?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: The truth about seating options

Lots of guys use different seats in the Caprice/SS/Roadmaster. The Bonneville seats are popular. Best way to install is to remove the seat frames from both, and install the new seats on the original rails.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by rueben44
    Ok so I am finding it harder and harder to find seating options for my 77 Coupe Deville. I made the mistake of passing on a clean set of blue 93 Fleetwood seats because I like the metal running down the side of the factories. Big mistake because they were clean and cheap. Any way so I am at LKQ looking today and tried something out so take a look:

I put some 93 Caprice seats in a 94 STS and they fit and of course the Caprice seats fit in our cars. This did not work for newer Deville's because the front of the mounting area is raised. Also I took a pic of them on the ground over each other and they are almost an exact match.

Mounting the backs should be easy so the issue would be modding the front seats. I am going to look into this further because I have a feeling we have more options than most believe. Anyone here tried mounting any other seats from a newer Cadillac? What were your experiences?
    You would not have to mod the caprice seats to make them fit your car. You would simply have to bolt the front caprice seat to your cars passenger and drivers seat frame.

As for seats from a newer caddy, rwd seats would fit no problem. Fwd seats would probably have a couple inch gap between the drivers and pass. seats due to the fwd cars being narrower than our cars.
    I had bolted in a fwd 91 cutlass seat into my car temporarily to drive it in my yard, and it bolted down fine onto the caddy seat frame. I have also bolted a silverado bucket seat for temporary use, and currently have a set of olds bravada buckets in my FWB.

Ok so with it easy to construct a console If I can find some clean blue STS seats or black for that matter I may go with that because finding clean old school seats is getting harder. Ordering new carpet is easy and so is the head liner...only real issue will be having to get the door panels done. I knew we had to have some other choices though...

Ok so with it easy to construct a console If I can find some clean blue STS seats or black for that matter I may go with that because fining clean old school seats is getting harder. Ordering new carpet is easy and so is the head liner...only real issue will be having to get the door panels done. I knew we had to have some other choices though...
    I would mod a 80s/ early 90s fwd console, such as a toronado, eldorado, seville, regal coupe, coupe devilles etc. You would have to cut the part where the console meets the bottom of the dash to match up to your dash. A squared off console should fit in fine style wise. My car has a 91 bravada floor console (doesn't come up to dash) which looks ok since it matches the color of the interior, but doesnt match the style of the car 100%.

Went to the parts yard today and found three good sets of seats and what sucks is the one in my color was from a 94 Fleetwood and the seat was so far back i could not unbolt it. So i had to go with a color that is a few shades off.

Went to the parts yard today and found three good sets of seats and what sucks is the one in my color was from a 94 Fleetwood and the seat was so far back i could not unbolt it. So i had to go with a color that is a few shades off.
    Usually (unless the seat is completely down/ rolled all the way back) you can unbolt the seat from the seat frame and get the seat that way. (Very rarely can you unbolt the seat frame from the floor. Otherwise, you can bring in a battery (or buy one there for 10 bucks or so) and power the seat frame that way (not sure if a jump box would supply constant enough power to move the seat).
    Sadly, I have not been able to obtain a power seat frame for my passengers seat because the seats are usually down/ all the way back.

Also, great find on the seats. They look to be in perfect shape... And d'elegance too

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

If you use a 13mm box wrench you can remove seats without sliding them forward. It's even easier with a gearwrench. Like others have said, if you do need to move the seats, just bring a battery and a set of jumper cables. You can even use something as small as a cordless drill battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool
    If you use a 13mm box wrench you can remove seats without sliding them forward. It's even easier with a gearwrench. Like others have said, if you do need to move the seats, just bring a battery and a set of jumper cables. You can even use something as small as a cordless drill battery.
    Jay, by gear wrench, you mean a wrench with a open end and a boxed end with a built in ratchet? If so, thats what I use.

Yea my brother told me to use a battery but I had already been working for hours and I was tired. I ended up paying a guy to install them in my car. The passenger is power and my car was not so now I have to do some kind of jump wire to get it to work. Then I realized the controls on the new seat are door mount and not on the seat like mine. I will working it out tomorrow though.

Want to here another faux pas? I ordered shocks all the way around and was dumb founded when extra shocks came in....I did not notice they were two to an order and not singles.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

A shocking outcome indeed.

Yea my brother told me to use a battery but I had already been working for hours and I was tired. I ended up paying a guy to install them in my car. The passenger is power and my car was not so now I have to do some kind of jump wire to get it to work. Then I realized the controls on the new seat are door mount and not on the seat like mine. I will working it out tomorrow though.

Want to here another faux pas? I ordered shocks all the way around and was dumb founded when extra shocks came in....I did not notice they were two to an order and not singles.
    The pass seat gets power from the junction panel behind the pass side kick panel, IIRC, in which case it wouldn't be hard to get power to the seat.
    As for the door mounted control panel, I would put the 6 way toggle under the seat instead of messing with mounting the switch panel and running the wires into and out of the door.
    The factory mounted the pass. seat switch on the side of the seat in the plastic/ chrome strip in the 80s, although I'm not sure what mods would have to be made toput the switch panel there.

FWIW, GM conversion vans (at least the Explorer ones) with front power seats had an L- shaped bracket that bolted on the underside of the seat and used GM 6 way power seat switches, so you might be able to affix one of those to the underside of your seat for a more finished look.

BIGREECE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 FWB sold, 13 ACCORD V6 COUPE BLACK ON BLACK, 78 F-150 LWB

love your input Dave!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac kevin View Post
    The pass seat gets power from the junction panel behind the pass side kick panel, IIRC, in which case it wouldn't be hard to get power to the seat.
    As for the door mounted control panel, I would put the 6 way toggle under the seat instead of messing with mounting the switch panel and running the wires into and out of the door.
    The factory mounted the pass. seat switch on the side of the seat in the plastic/ chrome strip in the 80s, although I'm not sure what mods would have to be made toput the switch panel there.

FWIW, GM conversion vans (at least the Explorer ones) with front power seats had an L- shaped bracket that bolted on the underside of the seat and used GM 6 way power seat switches, so you might be able to affix one of those to the underside of your seat for a more finished look.
    You read my mind because I am going to go cut switches and wires and find a nice way of mounting it in the under part of the seat front where I can reach it and it is out of view. Funny the car was a 86 model and I thought it would have been just like mine.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.