LT1 Spark Plug gapping
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 6 Post By Stingroo
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, LT1 Spark Plug gapping in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I've been educating myself on spark plug gapping for the LT1.. I recently did my plugs and wires with the ...
    Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

LT1 Spark Plug gapping

I've been educating myself on spark plug gapping for the LT1.. I recently did my plugs and wires with the default "settings". Lately I find myself thinking I may be able to optimize the stock motor though.

Manufacture req. is 0.050
    Default wires are 7.5mm

I installed NGK TR55's, gapped to.050, with 8mm Accel wires. The wires were a mistake and I'll be swapping back to new 7.5mm's from who-knows-yet, but that's a whole other thread.

The NGK's came pregapped at 0.058 for my application. I regapped to factory spec, then started reading up after the fact. Theory dictates larger gap=more power (but tougher on the optispark and coil), smaller gap is better for mpg. Too much either direction confuses the hell out of the PCM. I've seen recommendations for a stockish LT1 range from 0.045 to 0.058 (NGK default). I'd stay with factory spec, but manufacturers are notorious for uber-safe settings to appease regulations and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a better gap for our cars than what GM recommends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Stingroo is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): '92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56 | '01 Buick Century | '95 Lexus LS400

Re: LT1 Spark Plug gapping

On the Impala forum, .050 seems to be the consensus. Some also recommend AC Delco platinum plugs over the NGKs, but I can't comment on that.

Pun90 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 Deville

Hey Poda you should check out the impalassforum.com . Much more information there related with Fleetwoods than I have seen here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

HUF
    HUF is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FWB 118,*** miles

I have been using NGK iridium plugs for a few thousand miles. They came with 0.0585" gap which I did not change. I have also replaced original AC Delco wires with the same exactly part number. Nevertheless, the resistance of the new set was significantly higher than the one of the old set. I do not know why they changed the specs. A lot of people use Tailor wires for LT1 engine.

7. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.