1981 Brougham Project - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1981 Brougham Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know, the 472's been in another '81 already, the body just got too far gone. I tossed the computer ...
    Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme
    I know, the 472's been in another '81 already, the body just got too far gone. I tossed the computer in that one. The nice thing about this swap is that I saved all the wiring. It should just "plug in" for the most part. That's why I'm almost embarrassed to pay someone to do it, but with the baby crawling now and my other son running around like a nut, the few hours I get at home are quickly consumed.

Re: 1981 Brougham Project

I got the call today that the headers fit, so I took them home to have them coated, or paint them myself. The tranny's in and the engine bay's been washed and painted (roughly). I don't really know what to do now. My neighbor and I are rebuilding the carb and I'm thinking about having the shop fit the exhaust and send the car home for the rest. I was going to have them do the whole job, but I'm having second thoughts. I've been doing a "pay as you go" kind of deal, and the headers weren't in the original plan, now there's a ripple in the billing. It's totally my fault, but to save the headache and money I think I may be finishing this alone. Whatever, nothing I haven't done. I'll get more pics soon.

gidozer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 Fleetwood Brougham 8-6-4

Hello!
    I have the same year 4 door version. Read all the thread and found many useful info.
    My ride came without a TBI and some carburetor was installed. Now I want to return TBI back.
    You were going to install 454 Tbi. Any success? There are some on ebay, but nobody knows will they fit or not.
    If you already installed it have got any boost?
    THank you!

I've decided to go with a quadrajet. I don't have much luck with technology so I'm going primitive and simple. Most of my issues have been computer or electrical and I'm just tired of it.

gidozer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 Fleetwood Brougham 8-6-4

You mean you are going to switch to the carburetor system and get rid of Throttle body and ECM?

You mean you are going to switch to the carburetor system and get rid of Throttle body and ECM?
    Yes, that's how this engine was set up in the coupe. I'm done troubleshooting electrical crap, I don't have it in me to deal with it.

IMG_20140501_183235_740.jpg

This is all I've got for pics at this point. I got the driveshaft in today, as well as the headers, tranny cooler lines and some loose bolts here and there. I'll get more to it this weekend. I'd like to get under the car done so I can put it on the ground. I've got the wiring harnesses in my basement and I'm going to strip the loom off and start fresh. I'd like to clip all the stuff I'm not using. Simple and clean is how I want this.

And for the manifold gaskets, is the silver supposed to be against the head or the header?

IMG_20140505_171806_258_zps2fbb14ba.jpg

IMG_20140505_171825_191_zps011fe001.jpg

Got a lot farther today than I expected. Ran new fuel lines, got most of the cooling system in, wired all the necessary electrical, and got the starter in. Also threw on one of those fancy deep aluminum tranny pans. I'm going to do plugs and wires this week, other than that, fluids should be it. I cranked it just to hear the starter and it's looking good. Can't wait to hear the open headers.

And for whatever reason the hood actually closes!
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

That is a thing of beauty, seeing that big, proper Cadillac heart about to beat in a gorgeous 81!
    ...and the hood closing is nice, could always just run without if need be....
    greencadillacmatt likes this.

I started it up today. Didn't get to any tuning or adjustments, but I got all the header panel wires soldered. Almost choked to death on the smoke from the eastwood header paint, but that seems to be done with. I need to find a harder throttle return spring, but other than that it seems OK. I don't see any leaks so far. I'll get some good pics this weekend and some closeups of some stuff I did.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...psob5sbp3x.jpg

Here's a shot of the new fuel line I ran. I'm in love with the copper blend whatever it's called plumbing they got out now, just not the cost. I did new fuel line from the filter near the rear wheel through the fuel pump and up to the carb. I found a very slightly used set of Delco plugs in the shed, old school stamped made in USA and gapped them at .45 after some research. I took it out on the road today and noticed a hard start when hot issue that brought back old memories. The timing is only about 2 degrees advanced, I'll be looking more into that tomorrow. After a small adjustment of the air/fuel needles it ran fairly well. I've got an appointment at the exhaust shop tomorrow, so we'll see if I can make the 45 minute trip without getting stopped for noise.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...psigq97doa.jpg
    talismandave likes this.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Looking good. You're running straight headers to the exhaust shop?

Yeah, wasn't as good of an idea as I originally thought. My head felt like it was in a vise for about an hour after the trip, but here's the story. I made it up there fine, job went great. I bought some new mufflers that I don't even know the make, just happy to ditch the flowmasters. I'm riding home and I got a pop or two at the carb, keep in mind I haven't really messed with it and it's been on a shelf for 2+ years. I pulled over and turned the needles in a half turn, then pulled out and it stalled at about 30 mph. Hot start issues start, dead battery symptoms, ended up getting a tow home, fires right up as soon as it's off the tow truck of course. Now it has a very loud valve tap. How did that happen just from stalling and cranking? The oil level's good.

----------

Hopefully this link works, I never did this through my phone before.

Probably just a sticky lifter. A lot of time they go away on the first decent drive. Love the H pipe.

I'm hoping it's just a sticky lifter, I was planning on dumping some tranny fluid down the carb to see if that fixes it. Neighbors are always smoking us out with the burn barrel anyway, this'll get them.
    talismandave likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Matt View Post
    Yes, that's how this engine was set up in the coupe. I'm done troubleshooting electrical crap, I don't have it in me to deal with it.

Attachment 209217

This is all I've got for pics at this point. I got the driveshaft in today, as well as the headers, tranny cooler lines and some loose bolts here and there. I'll get more to it this weekend. I'd like to get under the car done so I can put it on the ground. I've got the wiring harnesses in my basement and I'm going to strip the loom off and start fresh. I'd like to clip all the stuff I'm not using. Simple and clean is how I want this.

And for the manifold gaskets, is the silver supposed to be against the head or the header?
    Been my screensaver for 2 weeks now! Its like artwork.
    talismandave likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.