1981 Brougham Project - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1981 Brougham Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Glad to hear your mileage is so high they have expressed it in Roman numerals. Welcome back, perhaps you should ...
    talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Re: 1981 Brougham Project

Glad to hear your mileage is so high they have expressed it in Roman numerals.
    Welcome back, perhaps you should have chosen Happy Matt as a user name. You may have cursed yourself and therefore your car?

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme
    Maybe I'll change my name if I ever get this electronic nightmare straightened out. So, I was wrong about the battery. It managed to kill a practically new one, with a full charge in about 12hrs. Where do I start to trace this? Could a fault in the alternator cause a drain? It's from a junkyard, so I don't know what's inside. While the car is running if you use things like the heat, the alt light comes on slightly.

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

best way to track down a drain:

hook your digital multimeter up between the battery post and the batter cable (with the car off, keys not in ignition). I usually do the - but I think either works. That'll show you the draw you're seeing. It should be under 50 mA if i recall...

If it's high, you start pulling fuses and checking your meter until you find the one(s) that cause the draw to drop to the proper level. That's the circuit your drain is on.

That's how I always have done it. Then you just have to find the drain on that circuit using your trusty shop manual's wiring diagrams.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

[QUOTE=Angry Matt;3041348]

What a beautiful coupe, I like this styling a lot and unmistakable Cadillac design . I must add, I like your stance a lot too , that car is a diamond that blinds other stones from its glare

Thanks for the compliment Cadillacboy.

I finally got around to testing for a drain today and it seems to have a steady 85mA on the DVM. I pulled every fuse and relay and I think, unfortunately the only one that made a difference was the ECM fuse. The ECM has about 50 miles on it!! I'm going to double check tomorrow, had to quit and come in to some Wild Turkey to calm my nerves. Maybe it's the blood colored interior, but I've never had a car infuriate me like this one. Is there any other computer that would be compatible with this car and a little more common to find in a junk yard? I don't think Rockauto will take this back after the months that have passed.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

If you want your modulated displacement feature to work, you will have to use that ECM. I think Safarione has a good reman ECM for an 81 car. Send him a note, he seems to know them inside out.

Cheers...........R

Cadillac Giovanni is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 86 DeVille (RIP), 89 Brougham D'Elegance, 95 FWB

Wow. This thread reminds me how much I've always wanted a Fleetwood Coupe.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

That car is seriously cool. Good luck repairing the problems!

I have a 1980 Fleetwood Coupe. The car carries a VIN different from SDV, Regular Fleetwood and CDV!!!

If you want your modulated displacement feature to work
    I just want the car to run at this point. I'm taking the alternator to my uncle's next weekend to test and/or rebuild it, and he's been explaining to me how to test all the circuits to make sure nothing will short another ECM if I decide to get one. Mine's under warranty with Rockauto, but they won't accept a return on a hunch. They need more than just "I pulled that fuse" to take it back, that's understandable. I guess I'll decide what to do when I figure out if there's anything else wrong with the car.

I was browsing here the other day and realized it's been a year since I parked this car already, wow. My frustration with the electrical have gotten the best of me and I almost sold the whole set up, 472 and all for $2k to a buddy. He had a few weeks to come up with the cash and didn't make it, now it's at the shop, tomorrow the motor goes up there and hopefully that will be it for that. I dug the garage ramp out of the snow yesterday and am going out to do some cleaning and painting today on the engine. I don't really care if it's too nice, I just want it to look presentable and run good. Anybody got a cheap alternative for headers? The only drop in ones I've found are $500, and I ain't got it right now.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

Good luck. You still having the no charge problem?

It was a drain from something under the dash, at first it looked like the computer, but I traced it to before that, to several sensors. Never took it any further. I gave up after the relay panel got all wacky, so I'm ditching the electronics and going primitive. I really wanted to do the swap myself, but I just don't have the time. Not to mention I'm on a gravel driveway. I should have thought twice about buying a car with obvious alterations to the under dash wiring, but I'm too far in to stop now.

larryinalabama is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1990 Brougham

Its a beautiful car, Id just try to get everything back to "stock" exhaust manifolds an all, it will be cheaper in the long run.

A 1981 Fleetwood Coupe is a extremely rear car!

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    This car is similar to mine and has been highly modified. He's looking for headers for the 472ci caddy motor he's putting in. Matt, the expensive headers are the only ones I was able to find. You can buy flanges and weld on BBC tubes. Primitive is the way to go. I can't think of anything the computer would need to control if the other motor is out. You can hook up the temp sensor and still have the dummy light on the dash. I've got a lot of mods going into mine this spring so let me know if you need any pics.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    On mine, the computer did absolutely nothing after the swap. It does not do anything with the dash lights, sensors, or control anything on the engine. I cut back the computer harness to behind the radio area and capped the wired and tucked them into the main harness. I also removed the engine harness and took that leg of the harness out and tucked the wires into the main harness against the firewall between the engine and the brake booster.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.