1981 Brougham Project - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1981 Brougham Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Theres a V864 eldo in a yard here. Got here 2 weeks ago....
    cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Theres a V864 eldo in a yard here. Got here 2 weeks ago.

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Matt, your 500 is TBI injected?

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Re: 1981 Brougham Project

The 472 is not TBI, but I was going to try to use this setup on it. That's the only reason I want the computer to work. The coupe (that had the 472) had this computer and I trashed it. The climate control still worked without it. The 468 mod doesn't work and is unplugged anyway, I just want the car to run and the basic features to work. I have no A/C, just heat.

Here's a shot of the ECM opened up in case anyone was wondering what they look like. I had a closer pic, but I don't know where it got to.. there is a burnt chip in the center towards the bottom, so at least I know that a new computer isn't a waste of money. I went back to the yard today and got the alternator and the plastic/wiring for all the dash lights (since mine burned up) and put everything back to the way it should be, including removing the light bypass diode. I'm ordering a computer tonight and I guess I'll try to start it when that comes.

One of the internal diodes in your alternator died. Same thing happened with the alt on my 307. Still charged fine and everything, just the light stayed on
    I should have took this advice all along. Got the new ECM in and new plugs and wires and it starts right up. The alternator light now works as it should and after re-timing it, it seems to run really nice. I think the next step is the exhaust, mainly because one of the manifolds is cracked and it sounds terrible. Amazing how such a small crack can give off the sense that the car is a clunker. I'm going to use my leftovers from the coupe which was straight 2 1/2 pipe to Flowmaster 40's and 2 1/4 over the rear and out the tail. Would it be more efficient to add resonators or just get quieter mufflers? I hate the way these sound, they are way too loud.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Check the manifold bolts. There is likely a broken one. My 81 is the same. Goes away when it gets warm. It's on the never ending to do list. Flow 40s are loud for a Caddy, but if that's the sound you like... personally, the loudest I would go is turbos with resonators. Nice tone, without the Flow "bark". Summit turbos are DIRT cheap.

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

Flowmaster 40s - when you want to sound like every jackass on the road ever. Ever.

Plz no.

I said I hate them.. the only reason I have them is because I bought them 10 or so years ago for my '70. I just never got around to replacing them.

Throw them on craigslist. Someone will buy them. Likely a Mustang owner, lol!

Stingroo is offline Wagon/Audio Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 92 Caprice Wagon | 01 Sonoma 4cyl 5spd | Past: 94 Fleetwood

^ This. Definitely this.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Matt
    I said I hate them.. the only reason I have them is because I bought them 10 or so years ago for my '70. I just never got around to replacing them.
    Ooh!!! They're "vintage". LOL

welhajjk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 cadillac coupe deville

hey angry matt

I'm looking to put the eibachs on my coupe deville as well but worried about bottoming out and potentially not getting into my driveway as its on a bit of an incline...do you find your car too low?
    how high is your car off the ground? can you measure how much clearance the car has off the ground? I'm trying to gauge if I will make it up my driveway or if my bumper will just smack the pavement as I'm driving in. sorry if I'm asking for a lot but your help is appreciated.

You have to remember, there are two Eibach PNs. One for caprice, one for SS. The SS will be lower.

welhajjk is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 cadillac coupe deville

do you know the part numbers? I'm only seeing the impala springs on the eibach site. part 3837.140

I haven't been on in a while, this was becoming one of those cars that makes me not like cars and I had to take a break for a while. I put a new fuel pump in the tank and got it running again. The battery must have been bad, I thought there was a drain but it was just the battery, so far.. But the crazy check engine light and no codes were driving me nuts. The temp light comes on right at start up. Turn the key off and it doesn't come back on. No codes just goofy signals. I replaced the ECC head because the buttons hardly worked and it just didn't act right (half the time it got stuck in code mode) and I couldn't help but think this was an issue since it talks directly to the computer. It runs good now, but says I'm getting 788 mpg! Sometimes I even get 6L8 mpg. My mileage is so good they ran out of numbers to use! It's a later year ECC head, funny though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.