1981 Brougham Project - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1981 Brougham Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; You may well be looking at ECM issues as well as the others. I had the ECM rebuilt on my ...
    SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Re: 1981 Brougham Project

You may well be looking at ECM issues as well as the others. I had the ECM rebuilt on my 81 and it was the best money I could have spent on her. It runs like new and has been a dream to drive ever since. Get the #'s off your ECM and post them. It will be a 5120 or a 4760. I have a rebuilt 4760 if that would work for yours. The performance will go way up as well. Have you checked and adjusted the TPS to specs. , a finicky job but makes such a difference. NICE looking ride by the way.

Angry Matt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

After the wiring fiasco of last week it seems to be running well. I properly timed the car to spec and that really did it, but... now the no charge light is on. It brightens when you give it gas so assuming the alternator is working, not to mention it hasn't died. What should I be looking for in the wires to get this light out? I was thinking of just scratching off the "no" and using it as my "charge light" to let everyone know that the alternator is working, like the everything is ok alarm.

And the car is now road legal via antique tags. Apparently you can get them right over the counter if you drive out to Harrisburg. Much nicer then the two week wait.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Matt
    After the wiring fiasco of last week it seems to be running well. I properly timed the car to spec and that really did it, but... now the no charge light is on. It brightens when you give it gas so assuming the alternator is working, not to mention it hasn't died. What should I be looking for in the wires to get this light out? I was thinking of just scratching off the "no" and using it as my "charge light" to let everyone know that the alternator is working, like the everything is ok alarm.

And the car is now road legal via antique tags. Apparently you can get them right over the counter if you drive out to Harrisburg. Much nicer then the two week wait.
    One of the internal diodes in your alternator died. Same thing happened with the alt on my 307. Still charged fine and everything, just the light stayed on

csbuckn is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Both wires on the small connection should have power coming out of them. Probably have to use a voltmeter for best results. One wire gets power from the fuse block, the other gets power from the alternator. Did that make sense?

So I would check for voltage with the connector plugged in, and of one of the two are lacking then that will tell me if it's either in the fuse panel or the alternator, right?

Yes, thats what i take of it. Looking at the FSM, one side is powered by a fuse(I think body), and the other side is powered by the alternator. They both supply power to a "switch" that grounds the charge Light when it loses power from one side. So that would make me believe that testing each side would lead you in the right direction.

One of the internal diodes in your alternator died.
    I'm not ruling this out yet, but I think it's under the dash related. Both of the wires have power as they should and the problem started immediately after the wiring corrections that I did to the fuse box. The fuse has power going through it and when you pop it out the light goes out (which I would just leave) but it also cuts the power to the ECC. Did something occur from me removing the A/C compressor? I can't see how, but these computers are goofy. I need to figure out where it's supposed to lose the power to run the bulb, or what interrupts it.

You should test the alt side with a DVM to see how many volts its providing. I have an 83 service manual I can post from, not the same but probably very simular.

Today I got around to messing with the alternator light, not by choice, after the tow truck brought us home. I got sick of looking at the light so I took the bulb out . That broke the circuit so there was no more charging and the car died, unfortunately my wife was along for the ride. So I got a great idea to shove tinfoil in the socket , that melted the plastic that contains the connections for the socket. I ended up at the local auto electric shop and got a diode to bypass the socket with the proper resistance. It shows just over 13v at the battery at idle for about 15 minutes and doesn't seem to budge. That'll do, right? Just no dummy light.

Now for the next story. I took it to a car show a few weeks ago. I drove the grey one and my buddy drove the black one. He was behind my other buddy in his '90. Pulling into the show, unbeknownst to me, the vacuum line that I used to patch the tranny line burst. It dumped 2 gallons of fluid in the entrance of the show (which was on a hill), that was funny. Everyone was spinning their tires, it was a mess. I got a $40 fine and spent a few minutes fixing it semi-proper until getting into the show. Then, before I got pics of them lined up, it starts pouring. Fun night. The car is now referred to as the Valdez.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

You're lucky it broke there and not on the highway. That would have cost you more than forty.

talismandave is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Thanks for sharing your tale of woe. I had a good laugh, because it just sounded so typical "old car blues" to me! I love the nickname too. There was a therad in lounge about naming your car, I haven't come up with it yet because I always feel the car should tell You what it's name should be. I think yours just did. Maybe Val for short!

I can't win with this car! I took it out on sunday to the flea market and a coolant line burst, no big deal I was close to home, but still.. Went to the junk yard on monday and got a few things the car needed, including a really cool voltmeter that came from a 60's firetruck. I found a car with no cruise option so I had the panel to mount the gauge in then I test drive it to work today and it does great. Start it to drive home and smoke comes pouring from the glove box. Now the check engine light is on as well as the engine temp and it's giving me a code 25, (engine mechanical). It was idling terrible until I unplugged the valve cover plugs and I think something in the computer burned up. That seems to be where the smoke came from. I am buying a new computer, but before I do, is there any specific one that is an upgrade? Like a later model or something?

On my 84, I don't have anything from the computer hooked up. All the wires from the computer are cut. Should I take a pic of my wire setup?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

He needs the computer for the TBI.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

And the A/C and the cruise control. I would verify that the computer is toast before doing anything. And don't forget the modulated displacement feature. He needs an 81 specific computer if it needs to be replaced. AC Delco dealers used to sell reman computers for about $125 or so. But that was about 7 years ago.

Cheers and good luck Matt, you need a bit of luck............R.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.