Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1981 Brougham Project

29K views 185 replies 29 participants last post by  Angry Matt 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago I bought another '81 Brougham. It's nowhere near as nice as my other one, but I got it for $800 and it's black. I've been wanting a triple black for a while, but this has the wine interior and the roof to match, now I'm over black interior, much happier with this. It's hasn't been on the road since '08 and needed brake lines, fuel lines, headliner and a windshield. I'm done the lines and have already done the front suspension and am waiting on rear shocks. I pulled the rear out today to swap it with the limited slip I've been holding on to. I'm sticking with the stock 2.41, the 3.23 I have is too snappy. I want to be able to cruise and drive the highway without topping out at 75 like the coupe was. I'm never going to race this car, but my mind changes like the wind. Either way, it should be on the ground by this weekend and ready to hit the road. The guy that owned it last painted something silver next to it and didn't bother covering the car, so it's covered in overspray. The fillers are busted of course and the tires are dryrotted. Where I'm confused is the route to go cosmetically. I've always wanted to do '90 exterior and make it look stock with the red center hubcaps, just lowered. Or, I've got a little collection of aftermarket accessories that I'm looking at. I've got a huge castle grill, 30 spoke Cragars, a sixth wheel and bumperettes. I'm leaning toward the '90 look because that's been a much longer desire of mine and I don't fit the style of the latter. Plus who needs the extra weight. I'll get pics up as soon as I can and keep updating. This is going to be a long project since I have limited time to work on it and a lot of work to do, I've only scratched the surface with what needs to get done. Any suggestions are appreciated.

See less See more
#107 ·
Maybe I'll change my name if I ever get this electronic nightmare straightened out. So, I was wrong about the battery. It managed to kill a practically new one, with a full charge in about 12hrs. Where do I start to trace this? Could a fault in the alternator cause a drain? It's from a junkyard, so I don't know what's inside. While the car is running if you use things like the heat, the alt light comes on slightly.

#108 ·
best way to track down a drain:

hook your digital multimeter up between the battery post and the batter cable (with the car off, keys not in ignition). I usually do the - but I think either works. That'll show you the draw you're seeing. It should be under 50 mA if i recall...

If it's high, you start pulling fuses and checking your meter until you find the one(s) that cause the draw to drop to the proper level. That's the circuit your drain is on.

That's how I always have done it. Then you just have to find the drain on that circuit using your trusty shop manual's wiring diagrams.

#110 ·
Thanks for the compliment Cadillacboy.

I finally got around to testing for a drain today and it seems to have a steady 85mA on the DVM. I pulled every fuse and relay and I think, unfortunately the only one that made a difference was the ECM fuse. The ECM has about 50 miles on it!! I'm going to double check tomorrow, had to quit and come in to some Wild Turkey to calm my nerves. Maybe it's the blood colored interior, but I've never had a car infuriate me like this one. Is there any other computer that would be compatible with this car and a little more common to find in a junk yard? I don't think Rockauto will take this back after the months that have passed.

#114 ·
If you want your modulated displacement feature to work
I just want the car to run at this point. I'm taking the alternator to my uncle's next weekend to test and/or rebuild it, and he's been explaining to me how to test all the circuits to make sure nothing will short another ECM if I decide to get one. Mine's under warranty with Rockauto, but they won't accept a return on a hunch. They need more than just "I pulled that fuse" to take it back, that's understandable. I guess I'll decide what to do when I figure out if there's anything else wrong with the car.

#115 ·
I was browsing here the other day and realized it's been a year since I parked this car already, wow. My frustration with the electrical have gotten the best of me and I almost sold the whole set up, 472 and all for $2k to a buddy. He had a few weeks to come up with the cash and didn't make it, now it's at the shop, tomorrow the motor goes up there and hopefully that will be it for that. I dug the garage ramp out of the snow yesterday and am going out to do some cleaning and painting today on the engine. I don't really care if it's too nice, I just want it to look presentable and run good. Anybody got a cheap alternative for headers? The only drop in ones I've found are $500, and I ain't got it right now.

#117 ·
It was a drain from something under the dash, at first it looked like the computer, but I traced it to before that, to several sensors. Never took it any further. I gave up after the relay panel got all wacky, so I'm ditching the electronics and going primitive. I really wanted to do the swap myself, but I just don't have the time. Not to mention I'm on a gravel driveway. I should have thought twice about buying a car with obvious alterations to the under dash wiring, but I'm too far in to stop now.

#119 ·
This car is similar to mine and has been highly modified. He's looking for headers for the 472ci caddy motor he's putting in. Matt, the expensive headers are the only ones I was able to find. You can buy flanges and weld on BBC tubes. Primitive is the way to go. I can't think of anything the computer would need to control if the other motor is out. You can hook up the temp sensor and still have the dummy light on the dash. I've got a lot of mods going into mine this spring so let me know if you need any pics.

#120 ·
On mine, the computer did absolutely nothing after the swap. It does not do anything with the dash lights, sensors, or control anything on the engine. I cut back the computer harness to behind the radio area and capped the wired and tucked them into the main harness. I also removed the engine harness and took that leg of the harness out and tucked the wires into the main harness against the firewall between the engine and the brake booster.

#121 ·
I know, the 472's been in another '81 already, the body just got too far gone. I tossed the computer in that one. The nice thing about this swap is that I saved all the wiring. It should just "plug in" for the most part. That's why I'm almost embarrassed to pay someone to do it, but with the baby crawling now and my other son running around like a nut, the few hours I get at home are quickly consumed.

#122 ·
I got the call today that the headers fit, so I took them home to have them coated, or paint them myself. The tranny's in and the engine bay's been washed and painted (roughly). I don't really know what to do now. My neighbor and I are rebuilding the carb and I'm thinking about having the shop fit the exhaust and send the car home for the rest. I was going to have them do the whole job, but I'm having second thoughts. I've been doing a "pay as you go" kind of deal, and the headers weren't in the original plan, now there's a ripple in the billing. It's totally my fault, but to save the headache and money I think I may be finishing this alone. Whatever, nothing I haven't done. I'll get more pics soon.

#123 ·
Hello!
I have the same year 4 door version. Read all the thread and found many useful info.
My ride came without a TBI and some carburetor was installed. Now I want to return TBI back.
You were going to install 454 Tbi. Any success? There are some on ebay, but nobody knows will they fit or not.
If you already installed it have got any boost?
THank you!

#126 ·
You mean you are going to switch to the carburetor system and get rid of Throttle body and ECM?
Yes, that's how this engine was set up in the coupe. I'm done troubleshooting electrical crap, I don't have it in me to deal with it.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Sedan

This is all I've got for pics at this point. I got the driveshaft in today, as well as the headers, tranny cooler lines and some loose bolts here and there. I'll get more to it this weekend. I'd like to get under the car done so I can put it on the ground. I've got the wiring harnesses in my basement and I'm going to strip the loom off and start fresh. I'd like to clip all the stuff I'm not using. Simple and clean is how I want this.

And for the manifold gaskets, is the silver supposed to be against the head or the header?

#135 ·
Yes, that's how this engine was set up in the coupe. I'm done troubleshooting electrical crap, I don't have it in me to deal with it.

View attachment 209217

This is all I've got for pics at this point. I got the driveshaft in today, as well as the headers, tranny cooler lines and some loose bolts here and there. I'll get more to it this weekend. I'd like to get under the car done so I can put it on the ground. I've got the wiring harnesses in my basement and I'm going to strip the loom off and start fresh. I'd like to clip all the stuff I'm not using. Simple and clean is how I want this.

And for the manifold gaskets, is the silver supposed to be against the head or the header?
Been my screensaver for 2 weeks now! Its like artwork.

#127 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Engine Auto part Car

Got a lot farther today than I expected. Ran new fuel lines, got most of the cooling system in, wired all the necessary electrical, and got the starter in. Also threw on one of those fancy deep aluminum tranny pans. I'm going to do plugs and wires this week, other than that, fluids should be it. I cranked it just to hear the starter and it's looking good. Can't wait to hear the open headers.

And for whatever reason the hood actually closes!

#129 ·
I started it up today. Didn't get to any tuning or adjustments, but I got all the header panel wires soldered. Almost choked to death on the smoke from the eastwood header paint, but that seems to be done with. I need to find a harder throttle return spring, but other than that it seems OK. I don't see any leaks so far. I'll get some good pics this weekend and some closeups of some stuff I did.

#130 ·
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af161/georgesrose/Cars/IMG_20140511_153423_791_zpsob5sbp3x.jpg

Here's a shot of the new fuel line I ran. I'm in love with the copper blend whatever it's called plumbing they got out now, just not the cost. I did new fuel line from the filter near the rear wheel through the fuel pump and up to the carb. I found a very slightly used set of Delco plugs in the shed, old school stamped made in USA and gapped them at .45 after some research. I took it out on the road today and noticed a hard start when hot issue that brought back old memories. The timing is only about 2 degrees advanced, I'll be looking more into that tomorrow. After a small adjustment of the air/fuel needles it ran fairly well. I've got an appointment at the exhaust shop tomorrow, so we'll see if I can make the 45 minute trip without getting stopped for noise.

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af161/georgesrose/Cars/IMG_20140511_153408_891_zpsigq97doa.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.