1981 Brougham Project - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1981 Brougham Project in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Love the chrome down the side of the hood I want that....and your paint will buff up nice....
    rueben44 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: 1981 Brougham Project

Love the chrome down the side of the hood I want that....and your paint will buff up nice.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

JAY

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

85 FC, if you want to talk to me, PM me. Please don't make me delete posts, or, issue warnings/infractions.

Back on topic!

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 78 Coupe View Post
    Could you elaborate a little? How long does it take, and do you run the risk of letting the master empty while you wait? I did the fronts on my Coupe with one of those suction at the wheel tools, and while it took awhile, it worked fine. I'm anxious to hear what you have to say cause bleeding is a pain, and anything to make it faster is great.
    Yes you run a risk of emptying the master cylinder, you need to keep an eye on it. It will take longer, advantage is you can do it with no extra help and no special tools.

Robin Banx is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1983 Fleetwood Brougham

Regarding those 30 spoke Cragar wires you have, I'd bet that sandblasted and powder-coated black semi-gloss with rechromed caps would look great. Maybe not on your car, but don't toss them out. I'm just sayin'............

Cheers.......R.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Are the 30s for sale then??

Angry Matt is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): (2) '81 FWBs, '86 Cutlass Supreme

Not at this point, I might, if I do they'll go up here first.

Got the headliner in the other day. I did it in black because it was readily available and I like the contrast. Also I didn't feel like matching the fabric color, I lost my contact that had the swatch book. I have to say though I'm a lot happier with the black then I thought I would be. I did clean up the interior for the most part, it had the fabric off the headliner so the deteriorated foam was all over everything, I just have to dye some spots in the seats, that I'll worry about much later. It's presentable. But... now the car won't start. Cranks for days, but won't start. It did momentarily but that's all I could get. I ran it very low (maybe out) on gas the other day, then this started. Dumped some fresh in and has about 1/4 tank now. I'm going out in a bit to search for fuel filters, but honestly know nothing about this TBI (?).

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Matt,

I think you'll be happy with the TBI man. You can use a different ecm and work with a chip tuner like sinister performance. I'm running multiport EFI on my 472 that I put in my 78 fleetwood. I'm using a GM 1227730 ECM with Bosch red top 30lb injectors. The car runs great and i'm running on the original calibration chip. What's cool with the EFI and with the distributor being the 7-pin is there are no weights or springs to wear out and everything can be set on the ECM. The distributor i'm using is from an 81 cadillac so hang on to that distributor if you decide to go TBI. I'm sure TBI would be nice to and less hastle with changing manifolds. You could use the stock carb manifold from your 472 and use a GM 454 Throttlebody. I can try to find the popular ECM's used for TBI but what is great is you could probably pick one up from a junkyard for about 20 bucks. Moates.net has a lot of different adapters so you can put a reprogramable chip in it. On top of that you could use a knock sensor from a 454 so nothing detonates on the motor. Those Crager spokes look great by the way. If you got any questions about the TBI stuff I can try to find some info on them for you. There really isn't a lot to them. What I would do is run to the junk yard and find a 90-92 Brougham and pull the TBI harness from it since everything will be the right length for your motor. Then strip the harness down to only the TBI stuff and drop it in your car.

Forgot to comment on your car not starting. Check and see if you're getting spark. If you are then move on to the fuel system. If you're getting spark check the fuel pressure with a guage. The most common problems with fuel injected cars is either the fuel pump is shot, or the regulator is bad and leaking so it never allows the fuel pressure to build up enough for the tbi. It couldnt hurt changing the filter either.

I came out to mess with it and the car started right up no problems. I'm hoping this was just a fluke from it running out of gas. I'm going to let it be for now and see if it happens again. I was considering keeping the tbi in the car, but again I'm lost when it comes to that. If I can use the edelbrock manifold I have, that would be ideal. Other than ease of starting and stuff, will I benefit in performance?

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500

So the original motor in the 81 was fuel injected? If so, I think it will need an oil pressure sensor to tell the ECM that theres enough oil pressure to start the car. The same thing happened to me, it ran for a day, then it would only start for a second or two and then cutoff. There should be a fuel pump test wire by the drivers side close to the firewall. Mine was either blue, green or orange, I'll have to look. I have that hooked up to an ignition terminal at the fuse box.

On most cars the oil pressure switch is just a backup if your fuel pump relay goes bad. If that's the case check your fuel pump relay and make sure its not bad. To be honest it's really not that bad. A lot of people are intimidated at first but it really isn't too bad. If you have a diagram it helps to get better understanding of things. There are even some places that will make harnesses and label everything so it's even easier to hook up.

Usually you will get better performance because everything can be programmed for optimal timing curve and injector pulse. You'll also get better gas mileage since it's vaporizing the fuel. Quadrajets are still pretty efficient carbs though. You can even run a throttlebody on your edelbrock manifold. If you do carb I would just keep all the wiring in a loop incase you change your mind down the road. You may even be able to use all of your stock wiring, just use a 454 throtlebody with it since the injectors are bigger. The ECM will use the timing curve for the 368 which should be a lot similar to the 472.

I'm going to the junk yard anyway on monday. So I need wiring harnesses from a 90's fwb and a 454 throttle body to start. What do I look for, just a large GMC of the late 80's early 90's? One without all the sensors? I looked a little on ebay to get an idea of what they look like. Even if I don't get the ideal one now, I'd like to get one to get the car running and I can upgrade later. The car's been starting all day so hopefully it was vapor or something. There had to be air in the lines, I replaced a large section of them. I don't know, just wishful thinking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.