Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1984 Coupe Deville

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Stingroo 
#1 ·
So I posted earlier about my situation. I have an 84 coupe deville with 44.5k miles on it. Out of the blue my transmission blew on me just turning around in a parking lot. I got a quote from a local transmission shop for the repairs, and just for labor alone it would run me 1100. I love my blue beauty but I have a long commute and I dont have the space to hold on to her. I am in the Washington DC metro area and I am looking to either let it go or get some ideas as to how I may be able to fix her for less. Any ideas/thoughts would be really helpful. If you are interested in picking it up for parts email me at dan.amarcus@gmail.com with "84 coupe" in subject line. I can assure you I am not looking for a lot to get rid of it especially with a bunk tranny. It is able to get into 1st gear but wont shift out so if you take it you would most likely need a trailer.

Here is a link to pics.

http://s1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj536/dmarcus00/

Thanks in advance!

#6 ·
If it has 1st gear and reverse, I would suspect a stripped Governor gear. Easily removed from the transmission while in the car. Located where the speedo cable attaches to the trans, driver side. Is the fluid red and not smell burnt? Is the TV cable attached to the throttle body? If its broken/ disconnected, it will shift late.

#9 ·
Thats an awesome looking coupe deville. You don't see many in that good shape, much less with low miles. IMO, it would be worth fixing the transmission because of the condition of the car.
Also, I don't think you'd need to replace the whole transmission, as long as its not slipping and the fluids not burnt. A part inside it probably just wore out (which would be cheaper than replacing the whole thing).

#12 ·
I found out about the shop I used by calling around various shops that specialize in the engine rebuilding, and asking them who they used for transmission repair. Since the best time to redo the transmission is when the engine is out, I figured they probably send transmissions out fairly often.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.