When Exactly in 1985 was the Oldsmobile Diesel V8 Dropped?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By cadillac_al
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, When Exactly in 1985 was the Oldsmobile Diesel V8 Dropped? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; MODERATORS: Move this thread if necessary. Just as the title implies... I wonder how many of you know exactly when ...
    classictvman81x is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

When Exactly in 1985 was the Oldsmobile Diesel V8 Dropped?

MODERATORS: Move this thread if necessary.

Just as the title implies... I wonder how many of you know exactly when in the 1985 sales year the Oldsmobile diesel V6 and V8 engines were dropped? I'd like to think it was January 1985, given the poor track record especially of the original 5.7L V8 diesel that caused many headaches to owners and dealers when originally introduced for 1978.

~Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: When Exactly in 1985 was the Oldsmobile Diesel V8 Dropped?

This can stay here. I don't believe there was a diesel V6 used in the Cadillacs, however. I did a little searching, but I can't find the exact date it was discontinued.

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

There was a diesel in the FWD DeVille. It was a V6, and 85 was the last year for it.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    There was a diesel in the FWD DeVille. It was a V6, and 85 was the last year for it.
    In fact, 1985 was the only year the FWD DeVille/Fleetwood had it (the V6 version). And if the diesel program was discontinued in January '85, then that means that option would only have been around for four months in this line of cars (other C-body FWD's were the Buick Electra and Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight), if you look at the fact the 1985 model year sales began in September 1984.

It was the same 4.3L V6 (same as the 5.7L, with two cylinders gone) that, since 1982, had graced the hoods of some A-body FWD (and some G-body RWD) fare like the Buick Century/Chevy Celebrity/Olds Cutlass Ciera (and the FWD Cutlass Cruiser, which replaced the original RWD version after 1983)/Pontiac 6000. Unlike its bigger brother, however, it was made on significantly different tooling and had notably stronger cylinder heads (more head bolts per cylinder bank compared to the original V8 version), which ultimately made it somewhat more durable.

~Ben

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I'll bet GM is still trying to forget those years. I know a couple of my own family members switched to ford after their diesel Olds headaches. They probably thought it was deja vous all over again when the Northstars started popping head bolts.
    talismandave and talismandave like this.

I also want to point out that the new FWD DeVille/Fleetwood series (and possibly the other C-body FWD, the Buick Electra and Olds 98) were introduced in mid-1984 as early 1985 models, so availability of the 4.3L diesel V6 would have been roughly between March to December 1984, making that be 10 months' production in this line of cars.

~Ben

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

That has nothing to do with this section, of course.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.