Thinking of buying a 93-96 Roadmaster wagon for daily driver
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Thinking of buying a 93-96 Roadmaster wagon for daily driver in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 93 Fleetwood that I don't use much at my vacation home (maybe a few thousand miles a ...
    Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Thinking of buying a 93-96 Roadmaster wagon for daily driver

I have a 93 Fleetwood that I don't use much at my vacation home (maybe a few thousand miles a year) but I love it, and it is extremely reliable. The Roadmaster wagon of that vintage is obviously basically the same car, and I was wondering if the guys that use these cars as DAILY transportation could weigh in. It would be my wife's daily driver, and twice a year we would drive it from Pittsburgh to our house in Florida, about 1200 miles each way. We currently have an 03 Mountaineer, which gets horrible gas mileage, and being a truck, when it needs repairs they are expensive. We won't drive it in snow, so the RWD setup doesn't scare me. I like the fact that the Roadmaster, like the Fleetwood is easy to work on, and parts are cheap and available. Most of my friends and family think I am nuts to buy a 20 year old car for daily transportation, but if the Roadmaster is like the Fleety, to me it seems like a no brainer. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Thinking of buying a 93-96 Roadmaster wagon for daily driver

I'm your guy. I have daily driven wagons for ten years. First was a 92 Roadmaster, current is 94 Caprice, and I'm building a sweet black wood-delete 95 Roadmaster wagon currently. I like the Roadmasters better than the Caprice. I not only daily my wagon, but it is our road trip car, too. it goes to Maine every summer (packed to the roof), and I drove it to Ft Lauderdale last year. 30 hour drive, each way. No problems. It averaged 26mpg.

Note that the 92 and 3 will have the L05 350 TBI Chevy motor (think 90-93 Fleetwood), while 91s will have L03 305s. As I'm sure you know, 94-96 gets LT1 standard.

As daily transpo, they are great. Decent mileage. I get 19 city, and 25 highway. US gallon, btw. A few gearing options (depending on trailer package) and posi was optional (G80). Same with level ride. Oil and trans coolers were available, too. On the LT1s, you can recognize a tow pack car immediately by the mechanical main fan. That will also mean 2.93 rear gear. Standard was 2.56. More power on the LT1, about the same mileage as the L05. Comfy. Nice ride. Electronics you will be used to. The HVAC is better in the Roadmaster than the Cadillac.

You can get a decent one for 2k, a nice one for 3k, and a mint one for 5-6k. Then, it will go for another ten years. What else can you buy like that that will be comfortable, enjoyable, and reliable? Just FYI, I paid 300 for my 92, and drove it for seven years. It still ran perfectly, but got rusty. 1200 got me my current Caprice. Both had well less than 100k miles on them. The deals are out there.

LMK if you have questions...

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

While I haven't owned one, I have driven one (a 94 LT1)
    here's my thoughts based on the test drive I took.
    highs:
    comfy power seats (this was base with leather)
    control layout was good. I could reach everything with ease
    concert sound II stereo sounds pretty nice for a factory system
    the LT1 is smooth and drives at normal speeds with little input, but has tons of power when you stomp on it
    great all around visibility
    tons of cargo space...or holds 8 people
    handled the road quite well for such a large car (probably due to the monroe SS shocks)
    even though the car was large (obviously) it was not hard to maneuver around curves/ tight spaces. parking was quite easy.
    lows:
    I hate the super long dashboard. it seems infinite in both directions
    mirrors (sport mirrors) seemed tiny and didnt work too well (but they may have been improperly adjusted)
    sagging rear (cargo area) headliner (seems to be very common for some reason)
    suspension (monroe SS shocks) seemed a little harsh when going over bumps. it was not intolerable, just not floaty.
    poor braking (brakes were probably due for service)
    in summation...
    I liked the roadmaster estate. It reminded my alot of my 86 FWB, except with 2x the power, better mileage, comfier seats, and curves everywhere. if you close your eyes, you'd swear you were driving a cadillac. (note: closing your eyes while driving is not advisable and may lead to serious injury, death, or permanent blindness)

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    I'm your guy. I have daily driven wagons for ten years. First was a 92 Roadmaster, current is 94 Caprice, and I'm building a sweet black wood-delete 95 Roadmaster wagon currently. I like the Roadmasters better than the Caprice. I not only daily my wagon, but it is our road trip car, too. it goes to Maine every summer (packed to the roof), and I drove it to Ft Lauderdale last year. 30 hour drive, each way. No problems. It averaged 26mpg.

Note that the 92 and 3 will have the L05 350 TBI Chevy motor (think 90-93 Fleetwood), while 91s will have L03 305s. As I'm sure you know, 94-96 gets LT1 standard.

As daily transpo, they are great. Decent mileage. I get 19 city, and 25 highway. US gallon, btw. A few gearing options (depending on trailer package) and posi was optional (G80). Same with level ride. Oil and trans coolers were available, too. On the LT1s, you can recognize a tow pack car immediately by the mechanical main fan. That will also mean 2.93 rear gear. Standard was 2.56. More power on the LT1, about the same mileage as the L05. Comfy. Nice ride. Electronics you will be used to. The HVAC is better in the Roadmaster than the Cadillac.

You can get a decent one for 2k, a nice one for 3k, and a mint one for 5-6k. Then, it will go for another ten years. What else can you buy like that that will be comfortable, enjoyable, and reliable? Just FYI, I paid 300 for my 92, and drove it for seven years. It still ran perfectly, but got rusty. 1200 got me my current Caprice. Both had well less than 100k miles on them. The deals are out there.

LMK if you have questions...
    Wow-thanks for all the info. I'll show what you wrote to all the doubters! From a money standpoint, these cars make no sense to me. Everything you said is what I figured-cheap, dependable, nice ride, safe. One more thing, you may know the answer to- could you turn a Chevy into the Olds with Olds sedan front end parts, like the lights, grill, etc? Are the fenders and hoods the same on all of them? I like the look of the Olds wagon, and of course they are like hens teeth. There are so many Caprice wagons, and I see the Olds sedans all the time at the Pick a Part. If you can't find an Olds wagon, why not just make your own, right?

Poda is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Base, 94 Fleetwood Livery-no vinyl top in sight

As you can probably tell, I have a 94 Fleet with the LT1. My folks however have a 93 Roadmaster Wagon. Both of us also owned 1988 Caprice Wagons so it's obvious we love us our big GM's. One thing to keep in mind is relative availability of parts in your neck of the woods. If parts are plentiful in junkyards, go for it. I love my caddy, and my parents love their Roady. But we've both been warned by our respective mechanics that we'll lose our cars not because of engine issues, but because of a lack of available body and electrical parts. Personally, I'm handy so I'm not worried, but my folks are about to switch out because of that despite my offers to fix as needed.

They're fantastic vehicles, but since GM stopped producing dedicated parts it's harder to keep them on the road if they're going to go through the rigors of daily driving and you want to keep them looking and running immaculate.

Edit- one more thing - the Roady is 8" shorter than the Fleetwood, has a shorter wheelbase, and slightly stiffer shocks. It feels like a sportscar in comparison Still comfortable as hell, but be prepared for that if you test drive them. I know I was unnerved when I drove the folks car after getting used to the fleetwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Poda View Post
    As you can probably tell, I have a 94 Fleet with the LT1. My folks however have a 93 Roadmaster Wagon. Both of us also owned 1988 Caprice Wagons so it's obvious we love us our big GM's. One thing to keep in mind is relative availability of parts in your neck of the woods. If parts are plentiful in junkyards, go for it. I love my caddy, and my parents love their Roady. But we've both been warned by our respective mechanics that we'll lose our cars not because of engine issues, but because of a lack of available body and electrical parts. Personally, I'm handy so I'm not worried, but my folks are about to switch out because of that despite my offers to fix as needed.

They're fantastic vehicles, but since GM stopped producing dedicated parts it's harder to keep them on the road if they're going to go through the rigors of daily driving and you want to keep them looking and running immaculate.
    What electrical parts are you referring to? I haven't seen (or personally experienced) issues with my Fleetwood. Jay, what do you think?

Parts here are scarce. Driver's powers seat on my folks Roady gave up the ghost. Narrowed down to the switches but finding them was impossible at the time. The ac portion of the HVac quit, and had to be hardwired to a physical switch because of a real difficulty in finding another control unit when it was determined to be an issue with the controller in the dash. Damaged body panels are too cost prohibitive to source out. To give you an example, most junkyards I've spoken to here won't take b and d body GMs anymore (or Panther platform Fords, like the Crown Vic) because they don't physically fit in their updated crushers. Not to say they can't be found, it's just tough. And to boot, the yards that are accepting them know they command a premium out here and charge outrageous prices compared to other junk car parts. To be fair, my folks aren't as fanatical about keeping their car looking pristine like I would be, so they're not willing to outlay the cash or research like I am.

I'm not trying to scare you off these great cars, but make sure you have parts available where you are. It seems for us most of them were shipped out of town in the early 2000's. Local availability is next to impossible. Speaking of which- Jay, I'm still interested if the car's still as complete the last time we spoke

I wouldn't worry about parts. Wear parts will always be available, and there enough of us wagon hoarders that there will always be a community of guys that keeps stuff around.

A couple of adds to Kevin's post: yes, the dash is big. Not as big as the 93-96 Caddy dash, though. Monroe Severe Service shocks ride rough. I had a set on my 92, and I wouldn't do them again, unless I moved to Florida.

Poda, car is still the same. I'll shoot you some pics and PM them. Engine and trans will be out next week. I found the title

DBeaSST is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham

Don't know that I can add a whole lot to what's been said. I used to drive a B wagon daily but have since stopped. They are very reliable and comfortable cars. One of my 92 Olds Cruisers is basically my pickup truck and hauling vehicle. The actual pickup stays in the barn most of the time.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

just piping in my experience with full size buicks from that era.
    great reliability, good on gas, not the class that the caddy has, but I thought the same level of comfort.
    I got mine up to 435k before it was sent to the wreckers. (still drove it self there!)
    The only things I had to deal with were electrical as has been mentioned. I had the power seat go and had a tough time finding the part and gave up (the seat was in the right spot, so it only bothered shorter people who wanted to drive the car). I had shorts in the body wiring and I went through blower resistor modules all the time until I replaced the blower motor.
    I still say that it was the best car I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Poda, car is still the same. I'll shoot you some pics and PM them. Engine and trans will be out next week. I found the title
    Awesome! If you can also add a shot of the underside that would be awesome..

K.. sorry for the hijack - back to our regularly scheduled programming

Forgot about the body. All wagon hoods and fenders are the same. The grilles are different. The Roadmaster grille is deeper, and uses a different bumper. The OCC grille is the same height as the caprice grille. To do the OCC grille properly, you would need either a Caprice or an OCC bumper. The OCC bumper has an extra opening in the bottom that is the same width as the grille.

Cadillacboy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Speaking of grills , I like the way Roadmaster wagons grill look rather than Roadmaster sedans . I dislike wagons but these era GM's wagons are looking so cool .

96Fleetwood also had one of these wagons as far as I am concerned and I don't remember seeing any bad remarks from him about his wagon

Yeah, there are a few guys that have gone to the trouble of putting the sedan front end on the wagon. Personally, I think the wagon looks better.

Thanks guys for all your input. Now I just need to get my wife to drive one to see if she likes it. She really likes how high she sits in the truck, so I am not sure if she will like the wagon. But, she wants better gas mileage, and we could sell her truck for at least twice what a good wagon would cost. I'll let you know what happens.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.