Rear Ended on 405 North - 5/14/2012
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Rear Ended on 405 North - 5/14/2012 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Got my car out of the paint shop on April 7th: But it was inevitable.. This guy hit me going ...
    beatz02 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94 FWB; '94 STS

Rear Ended on 405 North - 5/14/2012

Got my car out of the paint shop on April 7th:

But it was inevitable.. This guy hit me going about 50.

Jacked my rear end:

Bent my exhaust:

Pushed me into the car in front of me:

Pushed the rear frame and bumper upward:

And pushed in the rear left quarter panel:
    (normal looking - passenger side)

Pushed in (driver's side)

To make a long story short, the guy doesn't have insurance. He pulled out all these State Farm papers that said his insurance was valid until June 2013, but then he called me yesterday and said he was just informed by his insurance agent that his insurance lapsed.. Dude, you knew you didn't pay your insurance. Don't try to front like you just found out yesterday. It pisses me off because he should've got a $1500 ticket for not having insurance, but these companies just let you sign up and give you documents stating you're covered for a certain period, when in actuality, you're not even covered because you haven't paid for the future months..

Anyway, my engine is jacked up, guys. I can't figure out what's wrong. It was running smooth, then when the exhaust got bent, it obviously constricted the air flow, but I had a new pipe put on yesterday and it's still sounding rough.

The whole exhaust on the left side got pushed forward, and it bent at the catalytic converter, causing a leak. The muffler shop bent it back and put muffler cement on it, but again, the engine still feels rough.

I took it to the dealer today and they said it's in perfect condition and runs great for an old car. I guess I can't expect them to know what I mean since they don't drive it everyday like I do.

The power isn't the same, and it sounds horrible when I accelerate; like an old Newport that needs an oil change. It feels like something is grinding. Could the drive shaft have been pushed in to the transmission?

What would be the damage if air flow is cut off, or rerouted back to the engine? I thought the new pipe would open air flow back, and that maybe it would take a day for whatever got congested in the engine to reroute back out of the tail pipe, but it has been two days and it's not going back to normal. When I turn the car off I hear knocking every 30 seconds under the driver's seat.

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Spillin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 Sedan Deville D'elegance

Re: Rear Ended on 405 North - 5/14/2012

Damn, sorry about that man. Atleast your ok.
    How does the engine sound at idle?

96FleetHood is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Damn that sucks so bad! Good luck bro I hope everything gets worked out

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

For the driveshaft to have been shoved into the engine, the rear end would need to have been crushed in more. But there was a lot of force applied to the exhaust system, and it could have shifted the engine before the pipe bent. If the engine is shifted a fraction of an inch, it won't be aligned properly with the transmission and you will have issues with vibration and performance.

I would take the car to a reputable transmission shop and have them check the alignment. A transmission place would probably have a better understanding of your drivability concerns as well, and should be able to identify the root causes.

Mark 78 Coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe De Ville, 1993 Fleetwood

Wow, that really sucks! Before you get ahead of yourself, do YOU have collision insurance? Obviously, the slime bag that hit you doesn't have insurance, so if you have collision coverage, your company will pay the damages, less the deductible for your loss. But here is where it could get bad for you- your car has quite a bit of damage, and we all know parts (chrome trim, etc) for the Fleetwoods are expensive, so there is a chance that your car may be a total loss. If you do have collision coverage, I would really not do anything other than a temporary repair to make it driveable until your insurance adjuster sees the car. Post back here and let me know if you have collision-I'm a retired insurance appraiser and I can give you a few hints to help save your car if it is close to a total loss.

beatz02 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '94 FWB; '94 STS

When the engine is idling, it has a low grinding feel, and then when I accelerate, the sound becomes more apparent between 0-40mph.

You would think the drivability guy at Penske would have picked up on this. I'm going to have to start the car and drive it with him in the car and point out what I mean.

I don't have full coverage/collision, but I do have under-insured/uninsured motorist protection up to $3000, so I won't have to worry about my insurance company totaling my car, they'll just pay the $3000 towards whatever I want fixed, and my real concern is the engine right now.

I went to two body shops and they both estimated between $3500-$4500. So I'll be going after the guy who hit me for the balance after my insurance pays the $3000.

If the guy would've really had State Farm, they would've tried to total it, but one of the body shops I went to pointed out that with all the body work I recently did, and the new wheels, and new interior, and with no problems with the engine, the value of the car went up. Nola was telling me about how it works with buying it back for cheap and having a salvaged title, but I don't think I'll have to go through that.

My insurance company told me yesterday to just keep my receipts for the work I get done, and they'll reimburse me.

So now I'm back to trying to get this grinding issue sorted out. About to try Sven's idea and see about the engine and transmission alignment.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Ouch!!! that majorly sucks.
    I agree about the engine/ trans alignment being a possible cause. Its also possible that something in the engine internally could have shifted. your exhaust manifolds may have shifted or may have broken bolts causing leaks and power loss. the driveshaft may also be out of alignment.

does the noise occur when your car is in park if you bring up the rpms?

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

Talk about bad luck! At least you can take some comfort in the fact that his little POS is totalled, while your Fleetwood will live to fight another day. Sven's idea about the engine and trans being out of alignment makes sense. With the frame slightly tweaked as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if the engine or trans aren't a degree or two out of alignment with one another.

Good luck getting everything resolved. I'm sure it will turn out OK.

Did I mention I HATE the 405?

lacville78 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 77 Cadillac CDV

This post upset me so much!
    My Caddy was rear ended a month or so ago by a dead beat.
    I remember thinking why couldn't I have got hit by a doctor or something. Of all the people in the world, this loser has to hit my car.
    I hope you get your money and everything works out for you!

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

The guy that hit you was probably texting. It scares the hell out of me when I see somebody going a few miles per hour less than everyone else and they are looking at the bottom of their steering wheel more than over the top. I know what it's like to try and get the guy that hit you to pay up. And the problem with State Farm is they will fight tooth and nail to pay anybody.

cadillac kevin is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    The guy that hit you was probably texting. It scares the hell out of me when I see somebody going a few miles per hour less than everyone else and they are looking at the bottom of their steering wheel more than over the top. I know what it's like to try and get the guy that hit you to pay up. And the problem with State Farm is they will fight tooth and nail to pay anybody.
    yup...I had a horrid experience with them about my accident in December of 2010. The lady who I had to talk to (who was out of state btw) stopped answering my calls and stopped responding to any of my voicemails after she found out my car had engine damage (compresion loss) in addition to body damage (since it was a state farm vs state farm, they ignored it and made it go away....since apparently (after talking to my lawyer) I was SOL).

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dennis93coupe View Post
    I've passed people who have had books or newspapers laid across the steering wheel. When I see that, I get as far away as possible.
    77CDV and 77CDV like this.

1980coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)

but one of the body shops I went to pointed out that with all the body work I recently did, and the new wheels, and new interior, and with no problems with the engine, the value of the car went up.
    It is my understanding that no matter the "accessories" you add, it does not change the value of the car whatsoever. My wife's car got totaled and she asked if she'll get more becuase of the custom rims on it and they told her no. I wouldn't get my hopes high.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    As far as insurance is concerned, the value of the car is based on a completely stock car, unless you add any accessories or modifications to the policy.

As far as market value, modified/repaired cars are worth less than aren't as valuable as an original car in the same condition. Unless the buyer likes the modifications, and is willing to pay more because of them.

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

I have State Farm and I had a really good experience with them for my accident. They took the current value of the car and added to it what receipts I had for recent improvements (tow hitch, brakes rotors replaced, etc.). Since the current value of the car is assumed to be in drivable condition, they wouldn't pay out on receipts for regular maintenance (plugs, brake pads, etc.). Since I had done a good chunk of work to it in 6 months before the accident, I got all the money back on top of current market value.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.