Installing Guidematic - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Installing Guidematic in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I don't think they were flawed. After all, Cadillac came out with the feature in 1954! Mine worked very well. ...
    Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

Re: Installing Guidematic

I don't think they were flawed. After all, Cadillac came out with the feature in 1954! Mine worked very well. I think a lot of it was user error. There was a procedure for proper use in the manual but I don't think a lot of people acutally read the manual or if they bought the car used, it probably didn't come with the manual. By 1988, Cadillac had also moved the system from the front grille to behind the rearview mirror. I think they did that in 1985. I never had one of those, but I am assuming it worked a lot better. 1988 was also the last year of Guidematic-Auto Dimming Headlamps. It was not used again until 2004 in the XLR & renamed Intellibeam & then in 2005 in the STS, 2006 for the DTS, & 2007 for the Escalade!

Max

The Twilight Sentinel did stop clicking years ago. Probably when the computer started taking over the task of the headlamps instead of a seperate system.

Quote Originally Posted by TopherS View Post
    I never had those problems with my '88 Cougar's auto-dim system. Perhaps Ford had already worked the bugs out of their system. I usually had the sensitivity setting set at MAX and it seemed to work great. Only if I was approaching a car from behind and that car's taillamps weren't very bright would I have to override the system to prevent blinding him via his mirrors...otherwise, it worked well.

If the Cadillac Guidematic system is that flawed, then I won't worry about it.

I use my brights a lot...and yes, I am perfectly capable of dimming my own brights...but if my car can take care of that task for me...then I was thinking "why not ?".

@Max - I know what you mean about the Twilight Sentinel making the loud click when turning on/off. My 2001 Park Avenue even clicked...just not as loudly. My wife's SRX doesn't make a sound at all...can only tell by the green indicator on the dash that the lights have turned on. By the way, you say you have that automatic dimming system in your STS...do you have problems with the system...or is it improved?

Maximln is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V8, 1SF, Tusc Lthr, Adptv Cruise, 18" Chrm Whls

@TopherS - The system on my STS is incredible. It is just as silent as the Twilight Sentinel but I have had no problems with at all & it works perfectly. It even detects tail lamps in front of you & will dim accordingly. It is amazing to be driving down a darkened road & then make a turn to a really dark road & the hi-beams come on instantly! And I never get someone flashing me because they were left on. They dim as soon as they sense oncoming headlamps. Even with the old system in my 75 Caddy, the system worked pretty good. I don't really recall many people having to flash me when because my high beams were on. There was a specific way to "train" the system to work properly. I don't remember it exactly but something like you had to turn the hi beams on & then rotate the sensitivity ring slowly until the lamps dimmed. If it wasn't "trained" properly, the system did not work properly. I'm sure a lot of people didn't do it properly & that's why the system did not work properly for them.

Max

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

Quote Originally Posted by talismandave View Post
    Three of the four 74-76 cars I had had both. I wouldn't be without twilight sent.
    Guidematic...well it always worked, if you don't mind pissing off about every fourth car on the road. However, that said I still didn't have to hit the dimmer switch, the minute they hit their dimmer switch, my lights would dim! So it worked 100% of the time.
    That's not the way it worked. When they got pissed off and hit their high beams, the Guidematic would wake up and dim. At least that's how my 1970 worked. Until the photocell would die.

My new 2009 & 2011 have "Intellibeam" auto dimming headlights and they seem to work better than the old 60s and 70s setups.

bigm57ict is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

I think that's what he meant. "Hit their dimmer switch" means they switch to high beams.
    talismandave likes this.

cadillacmike68 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brg, 09 STS N* Platinum, 11 CTS Premium

The biggest problem with the late 60s thru 70 was the placement of the photocell in the grille. It was not only exposed to the high heat of the engine but got all kinds of water & road grime all over it and would die out. Earlier years were inside the car up on the dash, but I guess there were glare or refration problem wityh that arrangement.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    I've had all those experiences on a '73 Eldo. My headlights would dim and then the oncoming car would dim his. Then of coarse Guidmatic would sense that and put the high beams back on. Oncoming driver would then flash his back on and mine would go low. When he then turned his down, mine would go back up. After getting the finger a few times I just turned that useless feature off and never used it again. After all, how hard was it to just step on the high beam button on the floor (that's where they where back then).

They also dimmed from reflective signs and snow banks.
    Even when the eye was on the dash like the 50s and 60s this is what happened. And also the reflection off signs setting it off. Neat feature but not a very reliable one.

jamespowers is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1986 Brougham, 1975 Eldorado, 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Maximln View Post
    @TopherS - The system on my STS is incredible. It is just as silent as the Twilight Sentinel but I have had no problems with at all & it works perfectly. It even detects tail lamps in front of you & will dim accordingly. It is amazing to be driving down a darkened road & then make a turn to a really dark road & the hi-beams come on instantly! And I never get someone flashing me because they were left on. They dim as soon as they sense oncoming headlamps. Even with the old system in my 75 Caddy, the system worked pretty good. I don't really recall many people having to flash me when because my high beams were on. There was a specific way to "train" the system to work properly. I don't remember it exactly but something like you had to turn the hi beams on & then rotate the sensitivity ring slowly until the lamps dimmed. If it wasn't "trained" properly, the system did not work properly. I'm sure a lot of people didn't do it properly & that's why the system did not work properly for them.

Max
    I have twilight Sentinel and Guidematic with my 86 Brougham. Well, the twilight sentinel went on once with a clunk and never worked again but that is another story and I just turn it on by hand now anyway----too much trouble to get under the dash and replace the unit.
    The guidematic on mine is on the rearview mirror and you do have to train it with a sensitivity ring. It can go on from near to far. If you set it to far the lights will dim when the sensor notices light far away coming at you. After it passed the high lights will go on again. No problems with dueling high and low lights. Mine is a 1986n though and they probably were a bit more on it than the 1956.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.