1985 Fleetwood 4dr - need advice to fix power chair
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1985 Fleetwood 4dr - need advice to fix power chair in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; We have a new problem with our old 85 Fleetwood. The driver's side seat will recline, but will not go ...
    stirfry2112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1985 Fleetwood Brougham d’ Elegance package 4 door

1985 Fleetwood 4dr - need advice to fix power chair

We have a new problem with our old 85 Fleetwood. The driver's side seat will recline, but will not go back up. I tried giving it a good push to get it started, but still no movement up. Any idea what would cause this and how to fix it? I take it the seats have separate motors for up and down? The passenger side works great, would it be possible to swap motors from the passenger to the driver side?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Re: 1985 Fleetwood 4dr - need advice to fix power chair

Same motor going down for going up. The polarity gets reversed to change direction. Checked fuses? Might be a bad switch.

SafariOne is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1981Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance Coupe m

Most likely the switch, the switches are generally serviceable. If you have ever left the window down and it rained the switch will get a bit of oxidization and fail to make good contact. Remote possibility that it could be a problem with the control solenoid.

sven914 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm not sure, but I think you can plug the switch in backwards, to get the motor to move in the opposite direction (up when you press down). If not, the connector on the motor might be reversible.

Doing this would allow you test the motor and the switch, to better see where the problem may be; if the seat goes back up when the connector is reversed, you know the motor is still good.

Wow, thanks for the quick and helpful responses. Gonna try some more tests to see if we can figure this out. Good to hear the motor may still be good. There's a good chance the switch may be dirty, so what is the best way to clean it out? Remove the panel and get some rubbing alcohol on a q-tip? Or should I simply take it to my local mechanic to have a full check done?

Thanks again!

dennis93coupe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1993 Coupe Deville 2006 XLR Infrared, Ebony

Some of those switches you could take apart carefully, not sure about yours. You might look for one in a junkyard or a pick-a-part.

Pull the switch cluster out of the door and get in on your workbench. You will see that the switches should be held together with a couple of metal clips. Split the switch in two so you can get at the parts, then clean it up and re-lube them. Just make sure you get all the parts back in the same way.

I'm just now getting back to fixing this problem and had a question. Once I take out the cluster, what should I be cleaning the switches with? Safari also mentioned re-lubing them, what should I use for that?

Also, in order to get to the cluster, I found these directions to pull the door apart a 88 fleetwood from "cadillac kevin" on this forum, these directions should work for my 85 fleetwood driver-side door right?

first, you will need to unhook the battery (prevents you from blowing a fuse while removing switches from sockets)
    tools: panel popper, phillips screwdriver, standard (flathead) screwdriver
    1. lift up pull handle. remove 2 phillips screws under handle
    2. remove 2 screws in plastic insert behind door handle. pull on door handle and remove plastic inset.
    3. remove door light cover with phillips screwdriver. you can see 4 square tabs cast into them (darker area). you want to get 2 of these tabs on the same side to come out. You may have to use the flathead screwdriver to remove it.
    4. remove light cover and light surround (white plastic thing)
    5. remove 2 screws going up into wood grained switch panel. one is above the inset piece and one is above where the light sat.
    6. lift up on the switch panel and pull towards you. it may take some wiggling or reaching under it to release the tabs holding it to the chrome frame.
    7. remove wire connectors from switches on woodgrain panel. this will probably require a flathead screwdriver as the connectors can be stubborn. set woodgrain panel aside as to not damage it
    8. remove 2 screws on chrome frame. send white plastic light housing through chrome housing (goes through diagonally IIRC)
    9.remove chrome frame
    10. unscrew chrome bezel for toggle for mirror.
    11. take panel popper and remove plastic tabs from doors. a few may need to be replaced. they cost 10 cents a piece (maybe) at the local auto parts store. IIRC, there are 3 along the bottom and 4 up each side.
    12. pull door panel away from door by a few inches at bottom. shove top part in towards glass and up. It will take some trial and error to get it out. Just don't break the chrome plastic vertical pieces (hard to do)

Thanks again for all the help!

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

You should only need to do steps 2-7 if you're just servicing the switches.

----------

And yes, the steps are the same for the 85. It is a very good and complete "how to" on the door panel removal. If you wanted to take the whole panel off you'd also need to unscrew the manual lock peg.

I just use a small brass wire brush to clean up the small parts and then dieelectric grease to help prevent re-oxidization and help the switches run smoother. If you break something you can always grab another switch at the wreckers.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.