Help hooking a stero system up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, Help hooking a stero system up in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 93 Fleetwood Brougham and I need a little help. I bought a new stero 4-5 1/2, 4-6/9 ...
    hailhopes is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1993 Fleetwood Brougham

Help hooking a stero system up

I have a 93 Fleetwood Brougham and I need a little help. I bought a new stero 4-5 1/2, 4-6/9 and amp. Wondering how to set the it up without using the old amp that comes with the car. Do I have to run new speaker wire to the back of the head unit. Also anyone have any idea where I could run my power and ground cables from the battery to the back? Want to use radio without the use of the factory amp

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Re: Help hooking a stero system up

not sure if the 93 has the external amp in the trunk like my 95 but I had to buy a bypass harness that ran from the amp in the trunk up to the front of the car.

see my thread from my install here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...o-install.html

yea its in the back so the new harness hooks into the external amp in the back but how do u hook it up with the new amp i bought? or does the RCA wires do that

outsider is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

usually the amp would hook up to the RCA wires when I've installed amps in the past. They were for subwoofers, though, but most amps I've seen are the same.

they need power from battery, ground, and then RCA hook up from head unit.

from there, you would need to connect the speaker wire from the speakers to the amp.

hope that helps.

Ok so do I hook that speaker wire from the head unit to the back or isnt that what the RCA jacks do or indviually hook the speaker wire from speaker to amp

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    How many RCA outputs are on the deck and how many inputs are on the amp?

6 out of my head unit and a 4 channel amp. Don't I have to take the factory amp out and re-hook everything to my new amp?

You need to run front RCAs of the deck to the front RCAs of the amp, rear RCAs of deck to rear RCAs of the amp. You can then run your own speaker wire to each speaker, or, If you mount the amp in the trunk, you can use the wires that are already going to the speakers and put them into the new amp. When you replace the speakers, pay attention to the color of the wires that are hooked up to the speakers so you know which ones to use off the stock amp wiring. You dont have to take the stock amp out, just let it sit incase you take the aftermarket stuff out.

so i cut the wires off the turner in the trunk then hook them up together running my speaker wire to the new amp

marz2684 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Is the wiring different from the 96 fwb i have the service manual and can take pics of wiring diagrams and plug explanations

CadillacPimpinNOLA is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille

Yall have this guy all confused

you run a power, ground, remote and accessory power wire off of the head unit to the rear factory amp...if you are going to use an aftermarket amplifier for the highs or subs you need to run rca's off the headunit to wherever you mount the amp...if you are not going to use an aftermarket amp and just want to use factory sound then you have to run speaker wire for all 4 speaker outputs on the headunit to the factory amp in the trunk

----------

dont cut any wires in the trunk, use the required harness and plug it into the factory amp

Ok so use the wiring harness but from my new amp dont I have to run speaker wire from all the speakers in my car. I adding 8 speakers 4- 5 1/4 and 4- 6/9s. Isnt that box in the back just a tuner like a brain and isnt an amp?

I had it right. Nola, he's using the amp for the highs. Run RCAs from the deck to the amp and run speaker wire from the amp to each speaker. Another option I gave him was to cut the wire from the factory amp wiring that goes to each speaker and plug it into the new amp. But I see that you're running 8 speakers now, just run new speaker wire to each from the amp.

thats what im thinking is just cut the speaker wire from that amp then plug that into my amp from there. I was going to run my highs and mids parallel anyways

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.