84 CDV engine swap technical questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 84 CDV engine swap technical questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, I have a 1984 coupe that currently has a reman HT4100 that runs good. I know that a ...
    fslay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe DeVille

84 CDV engine swap technical questions

Hello all,

I have a 1984 coupe that currently has a reman HT4100 that runs good. I know that a lot of these cars were junked because of the bad motor design, and I want to keep my car as clean and original looking as possible. I've considered several engine swaps for the future, and out of all the features I'd like to keep on a potential swap motor is the fuel injection. I would really like to see about the feasibility of swapping in a stock 6.0L 368 and keep the digital fuel injection, probably with a computer from an original 6.0L car. I am not interested in the V8-6-4 stuff, but have located a factory EFI manifold for reasonable. All the engine accessories appear to be in the same location between the current 4.1 and the 368. I would like to use the TH400 from an 80-81 RWD as well as the rear end. I have located a donor car that is carbureted for most of the donor parts. Anybody got ideas? I really have no need for the 425, 472, or 500 as I will never use that much power. I am really looking more for reliability and solid design. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

csbuckn is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 84 Coupe w/500
    Isn't the tbi unit and computer similar enough to a tbi SBC to run it? Seems the easiest to do if it works.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Re: 84 CDV engine swap technical questions

Get a rebult small block chevy fuel injected or even carbed,you will be so happy with the change, i wished all cadillacs had the chevy motors from factory

jayoldschool is online now GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Spoken like a true noob.

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

Who u talking to?

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre

the guy who wants every caddy to have an SBC under the hood.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

I've done this swap. It was done 19 years ago so I might not remember everything : )

Most of this is obvious stuff so I'll throw out a few items which were not obvious to me.

The 368 throttle body is larger.

Get the driveshaft from the 3 speed car.

The steering column shifter detents on the 4 speed car will feel funny hooked to the TH-400 but you can adjust N in the right place and even a woman can drive it. I've swapped columns but this can get painful.

The HT-4100 ECM will need to be swapped. Sometimes the pinout is not plug and play to an 8/6/4 ECM. Have the 8/6/4 wiring available.
    If I were doing this swap today I'd just get a Megasquirt kit and ditch the factory system.

You will need the entire 8/6/4 exhaust system and A.I.R. plumbing for the factory ECM to give you the right time of day. The carbonated 368 exhaust lacks the 3 way catalyst and hard to find valve assy.

You can keep the HT-4100 radiator and fan clutch if they are OK. They are actually better than the 368 pieces.

There's more...............

fslay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 Coupe DeVille

Ape Man,

I was relieved to hear that somebody had done this swap before. Let me ask you this...if I decided to swap in the 368 and go with a carburetor, would this make the swap easier or would it just complicate things more? I could probably live without the digital fuel injection, but i didn't think about the fact that the dfi cars also had the modulated displacement too. I just want to be able to open the hood and things not look chopped, so to speak. I want things to look clean and factory looking. I'm not above the carburetor if that simplifies things. Please feel free to chime in if you got anything else, as its greatly appreciated

To the others who responded about the SBC...I like the 350 but I want a cadillac motor in my cadillac. I guess its a purity thing. Your comments are greatly appreciated as well

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

The carburetor would be hidden under the air filter, so I would expect it wouldn't look out of place. As Ape Man said, the 4100 throttle body doesn't allow the air flow required for the bigger engines.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The answer depends on your parts sourcing. If there's an 8/6/4 car I say go for it. The MD only includes the tall rocker covers and solenoids as far as looks go.

If you have a 368 with original distrubutor curve and carbonater calibration there's hope for OK economy. Probably best to go with an engine mounted fuel pump and remove the tank pump. I've done it both ways.

If none of this stuff is available to you consider an aftermarket injection system. The Megasquirt was pretty cheap but labor intensive.

Whatever you decide the people here can save you some time and expense.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.