1984 fleetwood brougham questions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
RWD 19xx-1984 DeVille and Fleetwood,
1985-1996 Fleetwood and Brougham Forum Discussion, 1984 fleetwood brougham questions in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I'm new here I've had my 84 fleetwood brougham for about a year now and I just recently started ...
    zach1112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1984 fleetwood brougham

1984 fleetwood brougham questions

Hi I'm new here

I've had my 84 fleetwood brougham for about a year now and I just recently started working on it and i had a few questions

first can anyone tell me what the firing order is, second, i bought the car from my grandfather last year and from sitting in his garage for so long the fender inserts have dry rotted out could anyone tell me where to get new ones for rather cheap im working on a budget and also i need a new glovebox lid if someone could help me with that

my final question is about my exhaust i recently moved from new jersey to georgia and in the process of having my car towed the guy who towed it down actually broke my old rusted exhaust pipe right behind the catalytic converter now i know where i could get a new oem pipe but my question is does anyone know where i can get a decent header set that will fit with only minor modifications and a kit to change it over to dual exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Wildcat 'vert, 92 & 96 Roadmaster Wagons

Re: 1984 fleetwood brougham questions

For the HT-4100 firing order: 18436572 odd #s in front counter clockwise rotation

There's not much room under these cars for duals. On my 85 there is extra cross-bracing under the driver's seat that would make it next to impossible without raising/stiffening the suspension. I suppose you could run them both on the passenger side and stagger the cat/muffler.

As for the headers. If you so happen to have the diesel option, then I have some headers. But since you talk about firing order, chances are you've got the HT4100 which is a difficult engine to find performance parts for. If you want to go for performance in that car, then you can get an Olds 350 rocket in there with minimum custom work (same block as the diesel option). This is what I'm in the process of preparing for. Although I'm going to stick with the standard singe 350 exhaust setup so I don't need the headers anymore. (i've also got an extra 350 rocket that I was planning on selling with the headers).

Quote Originally Posted by j2rossit View Post
    For the HT-4100 firing order: 18436572 odd #s in front counter clockwise rotation

There's not much room under these cars for duals. On my 85 there is extra cross-bracing under the driver's seat that would make it next to impossible without raising/stiffening the suspension. I suppose you could run them both on the passenger side and stagger the cat/muffler.

As for the headers. If you so happen to have the diesel option, then I have some headers. But since you talk about firing order, chances are you've got the HT4100 which is a difficult engine to find performance parts for. If you want to go for performance in that car, then you can get an Olds 350 rocket in there with minimum custom work (same block as the diesel option). This is what I'm in the process of preparing for. Although I'm going to stick with the standard singe 350 exhaust setup so I don't need the headers anymore. (i've also got an extra 350 rocket that I was planning on selling with the headers).
    Thank you so much for the help! I figured there wouldnt be much room for duals it seems like cadillac in the 80s just tried to pack as much as they could into the cars and left no room lol i do have the ht 4100 in there i wanna do a swap coming up but right now im low on cash once i get a head of the game im definitely doing it though how much are you selling your 350 for?

also you wouldnt happen to know where the fuel filter on the ht4100 sits would you? it would save me a whole lot of looking lol

----------

Thank you so much for the help! I figured there wouldnt be much room for duals it seems like cadillac in the 80s just tried to pack as much as they could into the cars and left no room lol i do have the ht 4100 in there i wanna do a swap coming up but right now im low on cash once i get a head of the game im definitely doing it though how much are you selling your 350 for?

also you wouldnt happen to know where the fuel filter on the ht4100 sits would you? it would save me a whole lot of looking lol

I think the fuel filter is under the car just in front of the rear wheel well but I could be mistaken.

I was thinking that I'd be ok with $400 CAD for the 350 rocket (it's the mid 70's block) with the headers included. The engine is missing the carb. It ran fine when I pulled it a year ago, it came out of a buddy's Delta 88 that had the rear end smashed.
    I already had a 350 rocket that's been customized a bit with the headers. Since I didn't want the headers, I needed this engine just for it's exhaust manifolds.

jcolliga40 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 86 fleetwood
    I was able to have a custom exhaust shop bend pipe and run a section and weld supports for he tranny crossmember so I would be able to run duals on it. It is definitely tight but the pipes are not any lower then the trani pan. However I forgot how much louder running headers makes the car, so I think I am going to install different mufflers.

I think the fuel filter is under the car just in front of the rear wheel well but I could be mistaken.

I was thinking that I'd be ok with $400 CAD for the 350 rocket (it's the mid 70's block) with the headers included. The engine is missing the carb. It ran fine when I pulled it a year ago, it came out of a buddy's Delta 88 that had the rear end smashed.
    I already had a 350 rocket that's been customized a bit with the headers. Since I didn't want the headers, I needed this engine just for it's exhaust manifolds.

thanks for your help man i really appreciate it and if i end up doing a swap ill definitely come back to you and see if your still selling the motor

i got one more question though ( i keep remembering things as the day goes on lol ) when i was replacing the plugs on the car there was a solenoid ( not sure if it really is one thats just what im calling it ) on the passenger side of the motor that i had to take apart in order to get to my 5th and 6th plug it has a hose that connects to the air intake and theres like four more hoses that go around and under the motor could you possibly tell me what that is? if need be i can go out and take a picture of it for you

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jcolliga40 View Post
    I was able to have a custom exhaust shop bend pipe and run a section and weld supports for he tranny crossmember so I would be able to run duals on it. It is definitely tight but the pipes are not any lower then the trani pan. However I forgot how much louder running headers makes the car, so I think I am going to install different mufflers.

I would absolutely LOVE to be able to just drop mine off at an exhaust shop and tell them to do it up but sadly right now i have just enough money to take care of my family and a little extra so everything i do to it is pretty much handmade at my house

Quote Originally Posted by zach1112 View Post
    i got one more question though ( i keep remembering things as the day goes on lol ) when i was replacing the plugs on the car there was a solenoid ( not sure if it really is one thats just what im calling it ) on the passenger side of the motor that i had to take apart in order to get to my 5th and 6th plug it has a hose that connects to the air intake and theres like four more hoses that go around and under the motor could you possibly tell me what that is? if need be i can go out and take a picture of it for you
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, If I get a chance later I'll go out and take a look at mine to see what's there.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, If I get a chance later I'll go out and take a look at mine to see what's there.

i gotta go down and change out my distributor cap and start running my new wires anyway so while im down there ill take a picture of it

dtino is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 85 2dr Fleetwood & 02 DTS

If you watch Pull-A-Parts you may find the inner fender wells, Mine rotted out to but found a set at pull-a-parts for 20 dollars and they were in excellant shape!

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

What part of georgia you relocating at??

Quote Originally Posted by dtino View Post
    If you watch Pull-A-Parts you may find the inner fender wells, Mine rotted out to but found a set at pull-a-parts for 20 dollars and they were in excellant shape!

its not the inner fender wells its the fender inserts down the bottom of the fenders that connects between the end of the fender and where the bumper bolts in, theyre little squares

thanks for the advice though ill definitely take a look

----------

Quote Originally Posted by 85 FLEETWOOD COUPE View Post
    What part of georgia you relocating at??

I already relocated im in the atlanta area

----------

okay so today i changed all my plugs in my 84 i changed the oil, got the old gas out that i had in there, and changed my fuel filter and oil filter the car was running perfectly before i did all this but now i literally have almost no power in my motor i pushed the petal to the floor and it wouldnt go over 5 mph does anyone have any ideas of what i did? i also might think i have a bad wire or two because after i changed the plugs its misfiring and shaking badly now and i checked all the plugs theyre all in straight does anyone concur with the plug wire idea or have any other ideas?

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Crossed wires. I bet you have the firing order wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Crossed wires. I bet you have the firing order wrong.

how about as far as having no power in the motor what do you think the problem is there?

85 FLEETWOOD COUPE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 96 CADILLAC FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM

O ok im in the columbus ga area,is your caddy a 4dr or 2dr?

Quote Originally Posted by 85 FLEETWOOD COUPE View Post
    O ok im in the columbus ga area,is your caddy a 4dr or 2dr?

its a 4 dr with the d'elegance package

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.